Redskins

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The B10 has this right- disallow any member schools to play schools with Native American mascots. The Fighting Illini? That's okay though. Brilliant.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The B10 has this right- disallow any member schools to play schools with Native American mascots. The Fighting Illini? That's okay though. Brilliant.

They didn't keep the chief illini logo and discontinued that chief's pregame ritual at bball games IIRC.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Ragin' Cajuns kind of disturbs me. I would like to see the Ragin' Cajuns in a game with one of those Irish schools, they're just inviting a riot.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
They didn't keep the chief illini logo and discontinued that chief's pregame ritual at bball games IIRC.

So, they are still named the fighting illini, just don't have the chief logo any more and that is OK? If the 'Skins change their logo to a potato or something, they're good?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So, they are still named the fighting illini, just don't have the chief logo any more and that is OK? If the 'Skins change their logo to a potato or something, they're good?

With the Illini...it goes back to presentation and mockery...Illini is a tribe name, so the fighting Illini seems to not be offensive in and of itself, but a cartoonish mascot twerking around like Miley is offensive, it seems. However, the 'redskins' is a derogatory term by itself. That's the reason for the distinction.

The reason for the redskins being in the spotlight is that all the easily leveraged teams with high visibility have already been knocked out...those with public funding (high schools/colleges)....the ones left are the ones who don't have a political pressure lever to pull...like the privately owned, not (directly) publicly funded redskins.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Derogatory name vs. A group of tribes from the area. Pretty apples to Oranges. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the Big 10's hypocrisy, but your stretching it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Link? According to the washington Post Poll most Redskins Fans, while they support keeping the name, feel that Redskin is an inappropriate term to refer to a native american. Would you call a Native American a Redskin? If not why not? Now apply that logic to whether this should be the name of our nations capitals football team. It is a disgrace.

Who cares how redskins fans feel? Show me a poll of Native Americans that truly captures how they feel about it. What a bunch of PC white losers think means nothing.

If there is overwhelming support from the Native Americans to change the name, I'm all for it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I view it like this.

Some white people and all important black people: "Change the name Redskins, thats racist"

95% of Native Americans: "Well...we aren't offended by it."

Some white people and all important black people: "Don't worry we will protect you!"

95% of Native Americans: "Calm down, losers."

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Who cares how redskins fans feel? Show me a poll of Native Americans that truly captures how they feel about it. What a bunch of PC white losers think means nothing.

If there is overwhelming support from the Native Americans to change the name, I'm all for it.
Well I assume the Redskins care how their fans feel.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I view it like this.

Some white people and all important black people: "Change the name Redskins, thats racist"

Some white people and all important black people: "Don't worry we will protect you!"

90% of Native Americans. Why stretch when you have hard numbers.

89cyclone2013

Sep 25, 2013
Ankeny

Illini is not a tribe name, but a name of a group of tribes in the region. If this is something that offends you or anyone else then we should look at changing the name of many of our states a cities like Illinois, Iowa and Osceola.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I wonder if cyclones find us offensive when we put a bird as our mascot and not an actual cyclone (which is actually a land hurricane and not a tornado)

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if cyclones find us offensive when we put a bird as our mascot and not an actual cyclone (which is actually a land hurricane and not a tornado)
Actually a hurricane is a cyclone. Hurricane, cyclones and typhoons are the same weather phenomenon they are just used in different areas. Cyclone was a common term for tornado especially in the turn of the century (read the original wizard of oz) when we got the nickname.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

The people of Idaho think your post is offensive.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He never really said he would change it, just think about changing it. If he doesn't know the feelings of native americans off the top his head on the name it is smart to say he would think about changing it.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
People want to change the name because it is much easier to criticize a football team's name to assuage their white guilt than to address actual problems in the Native American community such as substance abuse or poverty.
This is a silly comment.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Classic troll move here: Are the "Hawkeyes" considered derogatory in any way?

Last edited:

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
I view it like this.

I am a Native American, and I don't just claim to have Native blood in me. I am a registered tribal member and have been since I was born. To be a trial member you have to have a certain percentage of Native blood and be able to prove it.

That being said I am a huge Redskins fan. I am a Redskins fan because my grandpa was a fan, he was full blooded Native American and grew up on our reservation. I would be ****** if they change their name, and I most likely wouldn't be a fan anymore. How could I be, it would be considered a new team in my eyes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron