Redskins

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Redskins defend team name in response to Obama's comments - CBSSports.com

"The Redskins respect everyone. But like devoted fans of the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Blackhawks (from President Obama's hometown), the fans love their team and its name and, like those fans, they do not intend to disparage or disrespect a racial or ethnic group," Davis continued. "The name ‘Washington Redskins' is 80 years old -- its history and legacy and tradition. The Redskins' fans sing 'Hail to the Redskins' every Sunday as an expression of honor, not disparagement."

Now if they can just win some games.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So, you're in favor of racism?

How about this - Notre Dame changes its name from the Fighting Irish to something else, then I'll get on board with the Redskins to change their name.

Also, I saw a report on CNN a few months ago that most Native Americans couldn't care less about the Redskins using the name. This is far more about a few whites having to drum up false guilt and tears about something so they can try and impose their will on an organization that makes a lot of money.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
How about this - Notre Dame changes its name from the Fighting Irish to something else, then I'll get on board with the Redskins to change their name.

Also, I saw a report on CNN a few months ago that most Native Americans couldn't care less about the Redskins using the name. This is far more about a few whites having to drum up false guilt and tears about something so they can try and impose their will on an organization that makes a lot of money.
But there is a difference between an irish catholic university using the term fighting irish, and a non-native american organization using the term redskins. The other problem with the Washington Redskins is it isn't just a native american mascot, but a somewhat derogatory term for native americans. It would be like a pro-team or college team calling themselves "the darkies"

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Seems like a matter of time before they change that name. Braves, Indians, Blackhawks ... poor comparisons. If Snyder can get cover from the league office, I think he will do it.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I think the government should make Apple change their logo

520157-apple_logo_dec07.jpg

Look at that. Apple is clearly supporting abuse. That apple was clearly assulted and left there for years with a bite in its side. FOR SHAME APPLE!!! WON"T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE DEFENSLESS APPLES!!!

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good now maybe Obama and other politicians ******** about this will go do something better with their time on our dime.

He was asked a question. I'm pretty sure he is not spending any time thinking about it. My god.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
But there is a difference between an irish catholic university using the term fighting irish, and a non-native american organization using the term redskins. The other problem with the Washington Redskins is it isn't just a native american mascot, but a somewhat derogatory term for native americans. It would be like a pro-team or college team calling themselves "the darkies"
I think he was referring to fighting irish in the sense they would get slovenly drunk and in fights back in the day. There are also several non catholic irish who may not like the Domers Name.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

But like I said, in that report I saw most Native Americans don't care. Who does care are a bunch of white people that feel like they have to atone for the sins of their great great great grandparents by making issues of things that essentially aren't.

Let's expand upon this further. Do they use a creepy mascot that makes mockery of Native American traditions? No. Do the fans do a bunch of stupid crap in the stands that makes mockery of Native American culture? Not that I'm aware of. Is it just the team name and identity and nothing further? Yes.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think he was referring to fighting irish in the sense they would get slovenly drunk and in fights back in the day. There are also several non catholic irish who may not like the Domers Name.
I know there are, but Irish catholics in general have a stronger affinity for Notre Dame. Also, it depends on who's doing the naming. I'd agree with the fighting irish comparison if Notre Dame had been founded by English Protestants. Because then it would be a lot more likely that the Irish were being cast in a negative light. If a Native American college wanted to call themselves the Redskins, that's their choice.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
The whole sociological kerfuffle seems silly to me.

People never name their teams for something derogatory. No one would EVER call a team "the Wussies", for example.

No. Teams are named for symbols of strength. (Go Clones!)

As for non-native Americans using a term to describe themselves as strong and invincible, what's wrong with that?

Seems to me that true racists wouldn't get caught dead naming themselves for something they were wishing to debase.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I think the government should make Apple change their logo

520157-apple_logo_dec07.jpg

Look at that. Apple is clearly supporting abuse. That apple was clearly assulted and left there for years with a bite in its side. FOR SHAME APPLE!!! WON"T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE DEFENSLESS APPLES!!!

Fruitist!!!