Redskins = WFT = Commanders?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
"An Idaho tech company has registered a website domain tied to what may be the new name of the NFL’s Washington Football Team.

"MarkMonitor, with headquarters at The Village at Meridian, obtained the domain for Commanders.com. MarkMonitor is the registrar for the NFL and all but six of the NFL’s teams, the Sporting News reported Thursday."

Breaking news from our trusted source of information: the guy from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
"An Idaho tech company has registered a website domain tied to what may be the new name of the NFL’s Washington Football Team.

"MarkMonitor, with headquarters at The Village at Meridian, obtained the domain for Commanders.com. MarkMonitor is the registrar for the NFL and all but six of the NFL’s teams, the Sporting News reported Thursday."

Cadavers would be a better fit in that candy ass division.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Should tweaked the supposed new name with a nod to their previous Native American roots and Washington location:

Washington Commander in CHIEFS

;)

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I get wanting to tie it into the DC area but my favorite would’ve been the Ballhawks after Sean Taylor.

Or, knowing DCs geography, the Washington Swamp People would’ve been fun.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, a lot of current team names would also sound stupid or clichéd if they didn’t have history.

You got me curious, I think about half of them are pretty cool or classic. The other half are just generic and lame. Commanders would probably be in the generic and lame category if it was 50 years old.

giving 2 seconds of thought to each name...
  • Arizona Cardinals - boring, no clue if it makes sense, probably out of place
  • Atlanta Falcons - kind of cool
  • Baltimore Ravens - kind of cool
  • Buffalo Bills - pretty awesome actually
  • Carolina Panthers - boring, makes no sense
  • Chicago Bears - boring
  • Cincinnati Bengals - sounds cool, is there a meaning?
  • Cleveland Browns - would be REALLY laughed at today
  • Dallas Cowboys - boring but logical
  • Denver Broncos - pretty cool
  • Detroit Lions - boring
  • Green Bay Packers - I think it'd actually be cool if a team was named after local workers today
  • Houston Texans - super lame, should have gone back to Oilers like Steelers/packers
  • Indianapolis Colts - out of place name that once made sense like LA Lakers
  • Jacksonville Jaguars - super lame, makes no sense
  • Kansas City Chiefs - pretty cool, controversial now but wouldn't have to be
  • Las Vegas Raiders - somehow fits in all 3 cities, pretty cool
  • Los Angeles Chargers - kind of original but a little meaningless
  • Los Angeles Rams - Better than people would think, there are bighorns 15 miles from LA
  • Miami Dolphins - perfect
  • Minnesota Vikings - perfect
  • New England Patriots - pretty cool
  • New Orleans Saints - pretty cool
  • New York Giants - generic but classic
  • New York Jets - pretty cool, little generic
  • Philadelphia Eagles - so so
  • Pittsburgh Steelers - see packers, even better though
  • San Francisco 49ers -perfect
  • Seattle Seahawks - pretty cool
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers - perfect
  • Tennessee Titans - generic
  • Washington Football Team --------

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Good list but there are a couple I would rate a bit differently.
You got me curious, I think about half of them are pretty cool or classic. The other half are just generic and lame. Commanders would probably be in the generic and lame category if it was 50 years old.

• Baltimore Ravens - kind of cool Very cool when you get the native son, Edgar Allen Poe tie in.
  • Chicago Bears - boring
  • Cincinnati Bengals - sounds cool, is there a meaning? If Bears are boring Bengals are just as bad - no connection in Cinci to a tiger.
  • Dallas Cowboys - boring but logical Decent tie in to the city and state
  • Detroit Lions - boring
  • Green Bay Packers - I think it'd actually be cool if a team was named after local workers today
  • Houston Texans - super lame, should have gone back to Oilers like Steelers/packers
  • Los Angeles Rams - Better than people would think, there are bighorns 15 miles from LA
  • New York Giants - generic but classic Boring or generic as Lions, Titans, Bears or Bengals - probably worse because they just copied their baseball team's name.
  • Philadelphia Eagles - so so Great tie in to Philly's historic place in our country's history.

Reactions: khardbored and HFCS

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Eh, not bad. Agree that most new names seem silly no matter what they are. What I don't know is why everyone tried to run with the 'football team' when Washington was sufficient.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

• Baltimore Ravens - kind of cool
  • Chicago Bears - boring
  • Cincinnati Bengals - sounds cool, is there a meaning?
  • Dallas Cowboys - boring but logical
  • Detroit Lions - boring
  • New York Giants - generic but classic
  • Philadelphia Eagles - so so
Many of the ones you think are cool are very plain, Jets, Giants, Patriots, Vikings, Dolphins. Lions is boring but Dolphins is good?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Good list but there are a couple I would rate a bit differently.

I like Giants because of how big NYC is and I actually like the idea of a name covering multiple sports for same city like when STL had two cardinals. Kind of like it when the euro basketball teams share name/colors with the more well known soccer teams.

Agree Giants would be lame for new team today, like it for a classic name.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Many of the ones you think are cool are very plain, Jets, Giants, Patriots, Vikings, Dolphins. Lions is boring but Dolphins is good?
Pats, Vikings, Dolphins have connections to the area. Jets, Giants, Lions? Not so much.

Vikings, by the way, are because of the belief that the Vikings made it all the way to Minnesota based on the Kensington Rune Stone. It is generally held to be a hoax, but many still hold on to the belief.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I guess if it's a cool thing or animal I can tie to the city I like it.

I lived in Chicago for 15 years and no connection to bears or bear cubs. I lived in LA for 7 years and I've seen a bighorn with a view of the city in the background. Then again I've also seen bears near the LA city limits so maybe almost all large mammals names make more sense out west.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Eh, not bad. Agree that most new names seem silly no matter what they are. What I don't know is why everyone tried to run with the 'football team' when Washington was sufficient.

I guess that's why I go with animals being the safer choice. All of these names like Guardians, Nationals, Commanders and such are just generic words that sounded good in a board room. Mascots are boring and generic as well. But when you go animal (or mythical sea creature like the Kraken) there's something a person can think of and you can make a fun mascot out of for the kids. Something like the Washington Red Foxes or whatever indigenous animal for the area would be a much better name.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like Giants because of how big NYC is and I actually like the idea of a name covering multiple sports for same city like when STL had two cardinals. Kind of like it when the euro basketball teams share name/colors with the more well known soccer teams.

Agree Giants would be lame for new team today, like it for a classic name.
I like when they have related names but don't share a name like Timberwolves/Lynx, Cubs/Bears, Patriots/Revolution, etc. Sharing a name seems unoriginal. Linked names seem more creative IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pats, Vikings, Dolphins have connections to the area. Jets, Giants, Lions? Not so much.

Vikings, by the way, are because of the belief that the Vikings made it all the way to Minnesota based on the Kensington Rune Stone. It is widely believed to be a hoax, but many still hold on to the belief.

Also just cold AF and lots of nordic people settling there.

BTW I'm as neutral as it gets because no matter how hard I try I cannot adopt an NFL fandom.

I tried getting into the Rams last week as my local team the past 7 years but just can't do it. I'm college only for some reason...even though I have an MLB and NBA team.

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron