RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They won't be stumbling with this noncon. If they do, then we won't have to worry about .500 in conference play.

If I thought they'll be the same team in February as they will be in November then I'd be inclined to agree. But I think this team is going to grow up a lot from their first exhibition to the last regular season game. The non-con could be a little choppy as Prohm experiments with the rotation and guys get used to their new roles and playing with each other.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I thought that Pollard was able to match the total money, but for maybe 7-8 year contract, and a more of a commitment from Fred that he wouldn't be looking at NBA jobs every day.
I thought that ISU donors were willing to match the NBA money but they needed a commitment with it i.e. no NBA job interviews and a huge NBA buyout but Hoiberg wouldn't agree to it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I am worried about credit only insofar as the rest of the fanbase seems to be. If and when it is time for, don't want to say it, CSP to move on I don't want the fanatics to throw another fit like they did with TJ Otz. People on here were determined we should give him the job because of the recruits he landed in the past. Its a good lesson to the fanbase that it is ultimately the head coach that sets the vision for the program, is responsible for the results, and a bigger part of a recruits choice in most cases. Watching the results the last few years on the court and the results currently seen in recruiting makes me glad wiser men made that call
Screw the fanbase when it comes to hiring and firing coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83 and srjclone

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
0b471c3ce3e1a4c789c44ffe8be90f56cd64c3bb7d4207c10d9f09010d4acd13.jpg

Some days I wake up in the morning and think to myself, "We should really talk about Fred some more in every basketball thread on Cyclone Fanatic (and some football threads too!)."

...but that Zion kid, I'm stoked! It was even more encouraging to see he's coming right back to campus next month for Hilton Madness.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Register scouting report on Zion with quotes from Scouts and Coaches.
Very promising out look for Griffin to arrive and contribute very early
https://amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/666645001

Eric Bossi, a national recruiting analyst for Rivals. “I walk by and I see this kid rise up in the lane and dunk on people. I’m like, 'What’s this 24-year-old doing playing with these kids?'

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
...but that Zion kid, I'm stoked! It was even more encouraging to see he's coming right back to campus next month for Hilton Madness.

I think this is an overlooked advantage ISU has with Griffin and Conditt. Sure there are Illinois schools going after them but ISU isn't far away either. Easy drive or flight for family and friends.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think this is an overlooked advantage ISU has with Griffin and Conditt. Sure there are Illinois schools going after them but ISU isn't far away either. Easy drive or flight for family and friends.

I just like the idea of establishing a recruiting foothold in Illinois before Underwood gets a chance to lock down the borders. So much talent in that state. It's inexcusable for the Illini to be bad for as long as they have been.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I just like the idea of establishing a recruiting foothold in Illinois before Underwood gets a chance to lock down the borders. So much talent in that state. It's inexcusable for the Illini to be bad for as long as they have been.
I've always been one pushing the chicagoland pipeline, as we haven't really been able to get much from there in a while (excluding transfers), and I never really understood why we didn't hit it harder since Illinois has been down the past ~10 years. There are a lot of solid Prep and AAU programs in the state of Illinois that we can hopefully create a nice footing within, and establish relationships with coaches/staffs that help for years to come

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There doesn't need to be a lot in the non con other than W's IMO. Sneak in right at 20 wins and a strong B12 tourney, hopefully we'll be dancing in March.

You are completely right -- save maybe Iowa, the rest is all cupcakes.

A road win in Columbia might excuse a lot come Selection Sunday. I would have to figure our unit cohesion is going to be better than theirs on Night 1.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have very high hopes for Sol. He was incredible last year, and an offseason surely can't have hurt him. Yes, the surrounding cast has a lot more question marks, but I think he's going to keep things from getting terrible this year.

I think he can provide them with some stability and reliability early on. A lot is going to be in flux for the first part of the season as Prohm sorts out the rotation and guys try to find their stride. It would be nice to be able to count on Young as a constant while all that is going on - something like a 10/8 line with good interior defense, just as long as we know exactly what we're getting out of him any given night.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You are completely right -- save maybe Iowa, the rest is all cupcakes.

A road win in Columbia might excuse a lot come Selection Sunday. I would have to figure our unit cohesion is going to be better than theirs on Night 1.
Do they not return much? They have a great coach and went pretty far in the tournament. Oh you mean Missouri not SC.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I thought that ISU donors were willing to match the NBA money but they needed a commitment with it i.e. no NBA job interviews and a huge NBA buyout but Hoiberg wouldn't agree to it.

Fred was offered $5 million a year to coach at Iowa State and he turned it down? If true, all I can say is --Wow!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fred was offered $5 million a year to coach at Iowa State and he turned it down? If true, all I can say is --Wow!

Not bad for a guy who never made it past the Sweet Sixteen -- and I am saying this as somebody who absolutely loved every second of him.

upload_2017-9-14_16-33-19.png

Top five nationally? Higher than many guys who have made multiple Final Fours and a few guys (Wright, Izzo, more?) who have won national championships? Nice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not bad for a guy who never made it past the Sweet Sixteen -- and I am saying this as somebody who absolutely loved every second of him.

View attachment 49897

Top five nationally? Higher than many guys who have made multiple Final Fours and a few guys (Villanova) who have won national championships? Nice.

Beat me to it. No way he would have lived up to expectations of that contract.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Beat me to it. No way he would have lived up to expectations of that contract.

I agree with that 100%, but, what the other poster said about the money being there I believe to be true. I've heard that a couple times for people I trust are in the loop.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis
Status
Not open for further replies.