RECRUITING: Zion Griffin commits to Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Imagine a starting lineup in two years of Harris, Wigginton, Lewis, Griffin, Young. That lineup could be lethal!

Lard, Shayok and Babb might have something to say about that. Either way, if Harris does indeed commit, then we will have 8 really good to fantastic players in our rotation for that year.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Incredible news. He is going to be a big time player for us. Zions upside potential is through the roof.

Hard not to get excited about the future with all the youth in the pipeline (Wigginton, Lewis, Lard, Griffin, Harris?, Conditt?)

Does this commitment mean we are out of the Talen Horton Tucker sweepstakes? I know he and Griffin are similar small forward type players not sure if they could coexist. I personally love small ball...

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think we have Harris and Conditt in the bag. I'm excited to see who our fourth goes to but I don't think it will be either of the last two you mentioned.

Lots of things can happen when recruiting in the state of Illinois. I think we will take 3 and pocket the 4th for a mid-year or grad transfer. With the commitment of Zion I think that the recruitment of Tucker-Horton is over. Although I never saw our staff pulling this kid from Simeon. Refer to the first sentence.

If we can get Phillips then perhaps we take four. Starting to believe that Halliburton may not be a solid take for us at this point. But that is just a guess and not sourced at all.

Griffin was a surprise but the staff has put in the work. Prohm may lose kids but it is not for lack of effort.

I was critical of this staff two years ago and still believe that the 2015-16 team massively underachieved in the regular season. But since then this staff has proven they can recruit (by outworking other staffs) and teach young kids how to be men. Late game management is still a concern but I believe that to be more of an art than a science.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Lots of things can happen when recruiting in the state of Illinois. I think we will take 3 and pocket the 4th for a mid-year or grad transfer. With the commitment of Zion I think that the recruitment of Tucker-Horton is over. Although I never saw our staff pulling this kid from Simeon. Refer to the first sentence.

If we can get Phillips then perhaps we take four. Starting to believe that Halliburton may not be a solid take for us at this point. But that is just a guess and not sourced at all.

Griffin was a surprise but the staff has put in the work. Prohm may lose kids but it is not for lack of effort.

I was critical of this staff two years ago and still believe that the 2015-16 team massively underachieved in the regular season. But since then this staff has proven they can recruit (by outworking other staffs) and teach young kids how to be men. Late game management is still a concern but I believe that to be more of an art than a science.

The 15-16 team had roughly 4.5 players, I couldn't disagree more with you.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I'd love to bring in TH Tucker yet, Id actually prefer him over Conditt, I think were covered with big posts for a few years (next year alone will be Solo, Lard and Jacobsen) and like being able to use a small ball PF at all time so having Griffin and Tucker to use would be amazing. Harris is what would make the class amazing though out of all of the recruits.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd love to bring in TH Tucker yet, Id actually prefer him over Conditt, I think were covered with big posts for a few years (next year alone will be Solo, Lard and Jacobsen) and like being able to use a small ball PF at all time so having Griffin and Tucker to use would be amazing. Harris is what would make the class amazing though out of all of the recruits.

You shut your filthy ***** mouth.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Last edited:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
meme5172992745.jpg

Huge pick up for Prohm Dome! Hilton Magic! Go Cyclones!

Reactions: jcyclonee

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO

I'm going to guess we won't be in the mix for THT anymore but we'll see what happens. More than happy to have Zion and I think he has a higher ceiling.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
2018-2019

1: Wigginton
2: Shayok
3: Weiler-Babb
4: Griffin
5: Young
---
Bench PG: Harris
Bench Wing: Lewis
Bench Post: Lard

• Useful
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Wow great job by Prohm & Co. on closing on this guy. To cancel his KU visit is just amazing to me.

Beating KU for him is big, not only because he'll play for ISU, but also for the boost in perception for the program. Everyone knew KU wanted him and for him to choose ISU and not even visit KU may get other recruits to think that ISU has something special going on. When is the last time, if ever, ISU beat KU for a recruit? I'm sure it has happened before, but I just can't remember.

Edit: For example, this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-zion-griffin-commits-to-iowa-st-over-kansas

And this: http://www.csnchicago.com/preps-talk/hinsdale-south-forward-zion-griffin-commits-iowa-state

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron