RECRUITING: Stanford RB transfer Arlen Harris Jr. says Iowa State is 'really high' on his list

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
The 247 write up on him as a recruit is interesting:

“Very productive high school back who played varsity immediately as a freshman. Very smart, patient runner who finds lanes and hits them without hesitation. Good inside runner for a guy who is not necessarily a big back. Naturally stocky and should fill out into a nice sized college player. Has good balance and will run through contact. Has some nimbleness and shiftiness. Has to continue to add explosiveness and top-end speed.”

Sounds like he’s got good vision and can work his way through gaps that may or may not be there.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I like to picture a recruiting visit with Brian Ferentz being him telling the recruit where all the best lunch specials are on a given day.

• Haha
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
From what I’ve heard – Iowa could pull together roughly $5-6 mil for NIL right now between their various channels. That’s expected to increase another $5-7 mil in the next 12-18 months as they realign where donors direct money. There's belief they could get to $20 mil by 2025 as the new media contract allows further realignment of funds.

While $10-12 mil/year wouldn’t put them in the same category as the elite NIL schools (Bama, Georgia, USC, tOSU, Michigan, TN, Miami, A&M, Oregon, Florida, Texas, Nebraska, etc), it would put them in the Top 30. If they got to $20 mil, they’d be closer to 15-20th.

I’ve not heard specifics for Arlan yet but would guess Iowa is starting to throw around some of that money to jump start things. While we have a better history with RBs lately, they can also offer playing time. It will be a tough battle for some of these “high ceiling” types of guys in the Portal.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
From what I’ve heard – Iowa could pull together roughly $5-6 mil for NIL right now between their various channels. That’s expected to increase another $5-7 mil in the next 12-18 months as they realign where donors direct money. There's belief they could get to $20 mil by 2025 as the new media contract allows further realignment of funds.

While $10-12 mil/year wouldn’t put them in the same category as the elite NIL schools (Bama, Georgia, USC, tOSU, Michigan, TN, Miami, A&M, Oregon, Florida, Texas, Nebraska, etc), it would put them in the Top 30. If they got to $20 mil, they’d be closer to 15-20th.

I’ve not heard specifics for Arlan yet but would guess Iowa is starting to throw around some of that money to jump start things. While we have a better history with RBs lately, they can also offer playing time. It will be a tough battle for some of these “high ceiling” types of guys in the Portal.
This isn't specifically Iowa but more the whole fan-funded NIL system; it just feels slimy and gross. Hopefully we get to a point in the next few years where the schools themselves are paying the players rather than the fans.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
This isn't specifically Iowa but more the whole fan-funded NIL system; it just feels slimy and gross. Hopefully we get to a point in the next few years where the schools themselves are paying the players rather than the fans.
Wishful thinking. The main reason this won't happen is, under direct payment, they would become employees. That would lead to collective bargaining agreements, IPERS, health care plans, unions and all other issues related to employees. That is not a negative comment toward unions etc. It is just a statement showing the complexity of making direct payments.

Reactions: CyValley