Recruiting Roundup: December 7, 2018

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Any idea as to why ISU is going after more receivers? I figured the 4 ISU had would be enough for this class.

Maybe because outside of Butler, Jones, and Milton the WR corps has been pretty disappointing. And then there's the fact that one of those will likely leave for the draft.

• Useful
Reactions: yez

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know there’s only so many hours in a day, so this isn’t a complaint. But I feel like we used to get posts as to where the staff was during this recruiting time. I’d love to know who everyone was visiting this week.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Purely my speculation, but since 4/5 new offers are 6'3" are taller, I'm not too confident Butler will return.
I wouldn't read too much into it. Even if he sticks around I'm sure they would rather have tall redshirt freshmen or sophomores taking over for him rather than tall true freshmen.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I know there’s only so many hours in a day, so this isn’t a complaint. But I feel like we used to get posts as to where the staff was during this recruiting time. I’d love to know who everyone was visiting this week.
I posted as many visits as I saw in the recruiting threads. Lots of time spent on visiting current commits and the recent offers this week. I have update the first 5 posts in the Target threads weekly since I started them. Pinned to the top of the football forum.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Any idea as to why ISU is going after more receivers? I figured the 4 ISU had would be enough for this class.
I can think of a few possible reasons for this.

A. Scates is gone (apparently debunked elsewhere).

B. Kyle moved to corner (May have contributed).

C. As mentioned above, Hakeem may be gone.

D. Some veteran receivers already on the roster haven’t exactly overachieved.

E. One or more of the current commits is questionable—for one reason or another. (That would include James’ knee injury—but note that he’s listed as an early enrollee. Take this one with a grain of salt).

F. With the national media attention Hakeem’s amazing season has brought, top wide receiver commits nationally are more receptive to Iowa State.

Not only is it showing that can be done at ISU, there is a dynamic young quarterback—and there will be PT available quickly, one way or another.

Now, I have absolutely no complaints about our current commits. I love these guys. But looking at some of the new offers’ highlights, if they want to join the party, you take the best available athletes. Strike while the iron’s hot.

Now, just for me, I think that “F” is pretty much the right answer. Maybe with a sprinkling of some of the others.

In any case...Go Cyclones!

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017

If I had to speculate, I would guess that its not a good sign for how the coaching staff feels about the current crop of freshmen receivers. I think its telling that despite the 4-game redshirt rule and the fact that we run a spread offense and cycle in a lot of receivers, none of those guys saw the field. Add in the fact that at least one was suspended multiple times and maybe the coaches are worried about that position down the road?

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone