RECRUITING: Re-al Mitchell announcing college decision this evening

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Question:

Why would he want to come here? And other than added QB competition, why would we want him?

He's going to sit behind Park, Noland, and Moore his whole career unless he's actually the next Cam Newton and will beat them out.

I'm all for getting awesome recruits, but this one just seems weird to me.

Just so you know, even Cam Newton came into college and rode the bench for 2 years.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
screw Russell Wilson
It took awhile to get there but Ciara said yes.
I-Know-Youre-Shoulder-Shimmy.gif

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Isn't he like 5'11", though?

And FWIW, I feel like we already have a 6'4" version of him on the roster right now in Devon.

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out in the coming years for QB, but I think we have the next two pretty solidified.

He signs in February 2018. Most likely red shirts and the earliest you could reasonably expect him to contribute is as a red shirt sophomore in 2020.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The last staff passed on Jake Waters because they were set at QB.

Always take a quarterback. Always.

Reactions: Dandy

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Hope he sticks at qb...would be great to have someone with that kind of mobility. I feel like the last 3-4 guys we've recruited like him ended up playing wr. Heres to hoping!

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Question:

Why would he want to come here? And other than added QB competition, why would we want him?

He's going to sit behind Park, Noland, and Moore his whole career unless he's actually the next Cam Newton and will beat them out.

Pretty much every college football program in the country takes a quarterback in every class. Not sure there's a position where competition is more valuable than under center.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
When he commits he's really competing with Moore (Noland a bit too).

He'll redshirt as a freshmen so he will not compete against Park. So as a RS Freshmen he will be competing against Noland (RS Junior) and Moore (RS Soph). He'd have to be damn good to beat out Noland at that point. Either way I love that we will finally have some depth and balance at that position.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Question:

Good point. Why does anyone go anywhere?

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

He'll redshirt as a freshmen so he will not compete against Park. So as a RS Freshmen he will be competing against Noland (RS Junior) and Moore (RS Soph). He'd have to be damn good to beat out Noland at that point. Either way I love that we will finally have some depth and balance at that position.

And if he is good enough to beat out Noland as a RS Frosh then that's the kind of "problem" I can live with.

Reactions: isutrevman

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Is there a more concrete time for this? I've seen afternoon and evening both used.

Is he doing a live hat thing? I've always wanted to see a recruit do a hat thing and choose ISU.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

One huge upside to this kid is how great of an athlete he is.... that can translate anywhere on the field. Plus he is the son of one of the original American Gladiators.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I suppose it makes sense, was just more referring to him 100% coming to ISU when we are a bit log-jammed at QB right now.

Log-jammed? We have Park, Starcevich, and Kempt who will all be gone by the end of this kid's redshirt year, Noland coming off an injury and never having taken a snap in college, Frankl a walkon, and Moore who has also never taken a snap in college. If this kid is legit, he will have every opportunity to play following his redshirt year.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Is there a more concrete time for this? I've seen afternoon and evening both used.

Is he doing a live hat thing? I've always wanted to see a recruit do a hat thing and choose ISU.
6 pm cst is all I've seen.