Recruiting question

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is this within NCAA rules?

Asked how he entices so many elite high school wrestlers to come to the Cornell campus — the current team collectively has won 45 state championships — Koll pulls out his laptop and shows another video posted on the team’s Facebook page. About 25 athletes from the 2010 team appear in rapid succession describing the summer and off-season professional internships they have served at the offices, laboratories and hospitals of influential Cornell alumni. The video concludes with this detail: 100 percent of recent Cornell wrestlers have secured a full-time job offer or postgraduate school acceptance before they graduate.

Alumni basically promising recruits internships and jobs? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don't see anything wrong there. They aren't getting promised sweetheart jobs due to being an athlete. Cornell is an Ivy League school and I'm sure the ability to make connections for the future plays into kid's choices.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Evidently you've never used a urinal at Jack Trice Stadium...

The right of employment is not breaking NCAA rules, but accepting gifts is.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's Cornell. You go there and you are gaurenteed a job. It has nothing to do with wrestling. It is no different than playing any sport at Harvard or Yale.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'd have to agree, the promise of a full time job isn't exactly improper benefits, as any other student could receive the same.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Similar information was used to recruit me to Iowa State (I wasn't a student athlete). I see no harm done. I was told that if I were to go to ISU I could go to all kinds of job fairs, get internships, co-ops, laboratory work during the semester and so on. I was also told repeatedly of the hiring rate of ISU students in my field within a year of graduation (approximately what they're saying here). You go to college to prepare yourself for a career. Wrestling is simply a means to get a free ride (which Cornell can't offer since their Ivy League and athletic scholarships aren't allowed).

Help Support Us

Become a patron