RECRUITING: Potential transfer visiting next week

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Honestly, I am most concerned about the academics issue. USC is not really noted for being tough academically for its athletes, especially it's "stars".

Obviously, the kid can play......he was ranked as the 89th best player coming out of high school by ESPN, and received a 93 from them. I know those ratings don't mean everything, but they can at least be useful as a guidline.

Like I said, my main concern would be the academics. It seems Fred has made major strides in that area too.....especially when compared to the Wayne Morgan days.

We will just have to see what happens.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'm going to go ahead and say it, I don't think he's good. It seems like most people don't understand how all time bad USC was last year. He also shot 36% from the floor and only averaged 3.5 assists, not 5.5 like CW said, to 2.3 turnovers.
Being on a bad team is not all incriminating. Your logic of "he was on a horrible team- you do not have to be good to get volume stats" is valid. However, it is just as logical to believe being surround by poor talent had a detrimental impact on his performance- if not for being in a historically bad environmental he would have looked a lot better. Getting a guy with his past performance has the same chance to be a positive addition as a player on a great team who's surrounding resources makes it easy to succeed.

His stats on a bad team only sufficiently indicate he is not going to come in and single-handedly keep the program at a high level. The Mayor will make sure he will not have to.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
First of all they weren't just bad, they were terrible. As in possibly the worst team to ever play in the Pac-10 bad. Second of all, the fact that he's a 36% volume shooter means he's not that good. The fact that he's 5'7 and has academic issues are just additional reasons why I would not be excited about this transfer.
[video=youtube;GhCw_7IIjIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhCw_7IIjIY[/video]

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
You're reasoning of "Hey he played for USC, that's a big school that I've heard of and he scored a lot, he must be good" is so much better.

Well, I try to think objectively. If our staff thinks he is good enough to come in for a visit, I don't care if he is from Pepperdine, USC, or the University of Iowa (well I might rethink the last one). The point is, I don't care that he played for a **** poor USC team. He led the team in most statistical categories. So I'm confused as to why you think this is our reasoning to be open minded. I don't think any "fanatic" that is posting here is that naive to use this as an argument. We are not Hawk fans.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
see ya bubu..this transfer makes total sense because i doubt naz will be ready as a sophomore to be PG

Are you serious? Forget the jimlad? Naz Long looks ready now.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

yes and if we have Naz starting next year we might struggle...I'm not basing this off of his talent level..just that more often then not a Sophomore point guard in the big 12 isn't ready yet.

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Honestly, I am most concerned about the academics issue. USC is not really noted for being tough academically for its athletes, especially it's "stars".

Obviously, the kid can play......he was ranked as the 89th best player coming out of high school by ESPN, and received a 93 from them. I know those ratings don't mean everything, but they can at least be useful as a guidline.

Like I said, my main concern would be the academics. It seems Fred has made major strides in that area too.....especially when compared to the Wayne Morgan days.

We will just have to see what happens.

This. The kid was a top 100 coming out of high school, surround with some ball players in a team-focused environment, and let's see if he can thrive for us. If Coach wants him for a visit then he's clearly not worthless regardless of how bad USC was last year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
yes and if we have Naz starting next year we might struggle...I'm not basing this off of his talent level..just that more often then not a Sophomore point guard in the big 12 isn't ready yet.

I don't think Naz will start next year, but not because he isn't ready. It is because we have Korie Lucious. I love the thought of Naz coming in for Korie and not missing a beat in terms of intensity. This summer, both of these guys looked like they could go full bore all game long.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
15 years ago.

I would be no more concerned about having an unproven soph at pg than an unproven redshirt senior.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

Based on what? Cap city league? He has 0 minutes at the college level. All these guys have to go out and prove they can even keep up at this level. I am not buying anything till I see it on the court. Always good to have backup imo.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
There's a difference on being on a bad team in a solid conference, and being on a historically bad, 6 win team who played in a one bid NCAA conference.

I guess wish shouldnt have taken Clyburn either, bad team, bad conference!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Based on what? Cap city league? He has 0 minutes at the college level. All these guys have to go out and prove they can even keep up at this level. I am not buying anything till I see it on the court. Always good to have backup imo.

True, he needs to prove it in Big 12 games. And I know Cap City games aren't everything, but what I saw was impressive, particularly in terms of pressing defense and general intensity. Naz and Korie were both impressive in these areas. I didn't expect to be as impressed by Naz as I was, but you don't have to watch him long (no pun intended) to see what he brings to the team.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't think Naz will start next year, but not because he isn't ready. It is because we have Korie Lucious. I love the thought of Naz coming in for Korie and not missing a beat in terms of intensity. This summer, both of these guys looked like they could go full bore all game long.
Umm...we're talking about next year, not this season. Korie only has a single season of eligibility.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Maybe you meant "this year", but Korie won't be around next year. In 2013-14, it's either Naz or MM. I certainly haven't seen enough of Naz to say he will -or- won't be ready by next season.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This year/Next year, I got all confused. The point is that I think Naz could play this year (if we didn't have Korie), so I don't have any concern about whether he can play next year.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Heck, I just want him so I can make some "mojo" jokes. Plus, those waterbug types are always fun to watch and draw the ire of the opponents - love that.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I thought MM was more of a 2 guard? Misread nevermind carry on.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I am guessing due to Babu's legal issues the Staff was looking to add another PG to the roster for next year regardless of the potential of Naz or Monte. PG is just too important a position in the College game not to have contingency plans in place to protect against injury or if a player just isn't quite ready to play major minutes as a Frosh/Soph. (Plus, I am not sure how many minutes will be available for Naz this year, Lucious and McGee are going to play PG a lot. His experience could be limited.)
I don't see the downside of having Jones visit and make his case for him fixing his grade issues. If Fred and Staff are convinced he has refocused and extend him a scholarship it is a win win for the program and him.
It's been written but I trust Fred's decision either way.