RECRUITING: Isheem Young signs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You're kidding that Campbell doesn't tolerate any **********, right?

I think that he's earned the benefit of the doubt on character and discipline. How many kids have gotten in trouble since he's been here? I can think of a couple of DUI's, which happen everywhere. Peavy had that situation where he was putting graffiti on a wall already covered with graffiti and taking photos there. The four FR last fall running around with air guns, then got busted for having a big party at their apartment...those kids were suspended for the whole season and one is already gone. The other 3 are probably on their last strike, but it's not like they were committing major crimes. I think that he's done a pretty good job. The team just had its highest GPA of any FB team in ISU history.

This Young kid is a risk for sure. But, I would say that Campbell has not to this point brought in what I'd consider bad kids. I guarantee they've fully vetted this kid and he knows exactly what the expectations are for him. He has to know that any slip up means he's probably out the door. Campbell knew that there would be some press (and opposing fan) blowback, which he rightfully received. Now it will come down to whether the kid can stay out of trouble. If he can't, then he's gone. Campbell will not let any player mess with the culture that he has built.

That all said, if ISU really wants to compete with OU/UT for conference titles, you're not going to do that with a roster full of 2 and 3 star talent. ISU is going to have to take some risks to get a few kids that have elite talent that the big boys have stepped away from for whatever reason. See Scates last year.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I think what the judge concluded was that Isheem was convinced by his own older brother to participate in the robbery and carry the gun because, as a minor, he could not be severely penalized. I would guess that that was corroborated by the other two participants.

I, like some others on this board, might require more evidence of a change of life style if he did it by himself or did with some peers but, in this case, his own older brother set him up and he was too ignorant, scared, or both to say no.

I can agree with the judge and I think, reading into Isheem's and Campbell's statements, Isheem will still have a shorter leash than the other recruits. I hope he learned a lesson and wish him success.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I think what the judge concluded was that Isheem was convinced by his own older brother to participate in the robbery and carry the gun because, as a minor, he could not be severely penalized. I would guess that that was corroborated by the other two participants.

I, like some others on this board, might require more evidence of a change of life style if he did it by himself or did with some peers but, in this case, his own older brother set him up and he was too ignorant, scared, or both to say no.

I can agree with the judge and I think, reading into Isheem's and Campbell's statements, Isheem will still have a shorter leash than the other recruits. I hope he learned a lesson and wish him success.

I agree with this. The prosecutors apparently had video evidence of him robbing a convenience store so they could have thrown the book at him if they wanted. Yet THEY said that he was coerced into doing it and suggested that his case be moved to juvenile court. That doesn't seem like something that a prosecutor would usually do. There must have been more to this story that was not made public.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I agree with this. The prosecutors apparently had video evidence of him robbing a convenience store so they could have thrown the book at him if they wanted. Yet THEY said that he was coerced into doing it and suggested that his case be moved to juvenile court. That doesn't seem like something that a prosecutor would usually do. There must have been more to this story that was not made public.

His attorney, when they said he was being coerced, said he wasn’t being coerced because he was fully innocent. So it’s a weird thing all around. They could have just said that to get SOME sort of charges on him (get him to agree to lessor charges) because it sounds like the hoodie was their biggest thing. But who knows.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Relax, everyone. We're not a southern religious school. Wake me when Iowa State starts routinely disciplining "internally." Berryman very publicly spent an offseason behind bars and was ultimately kicked off the team for being in one a week before his 21st birthday. Jacob Park was asked to get his **** together or leave. He left. We shipped Lard off to counseling for an attitude adjustment. This isn't the 1st time we've taken a behavioral risk and it certainly won't be the last. Welcome to college sports.

• Winner
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Hindsight will be 20/20 on this kid.

If he’s successful at ISU and stays out of trouble (which I think he will), then good on this staff for giving a talented kid a second chance.

If he gets into trouble, well.... that’s the risk part of the “high risk, high reward” prospect.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Love all the "kids will be kids" and "kids make mistakes" sentiments over this. Well last I checked, kids DON'T commit armed robbery at gunpoint! But he's a good athlete who can ball, so pretty much all of you suburban white folks are cool with it.

BTW, I've had a gun pointed at me and know the feeling of terror, so I'm not cool with this signing.
So pretty much once you screw up, your life is over

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Relax, everyone. We're not a southern religious school. Wake me when Iowa State starts routinely disciplining "internally." Berryman very publicly spent an offseason behind bars and was ultimately kicked off the team for being in one a week before his 21st birthday. Jacob Park was asked to get his **** together or leave. He left. We shipped Lard off to counseling for an attitude adjustment. This isn't the 1st time we've taken a behavioral risk and it certainly won't be the last. Welcome to college sports.

Don't forget Johnnie Lang. He was a big risk and appears to be doing well.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm all for 2nd chances, no kid's life should be over for one mistake, HOWEVER, this kid has to be on the shortest leash there is IMO, and CMC needed to make sure he understood that before signing with ISU.

A simple parking ticket, that might be ok, but almost anything more than that... you're gone buddy.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Love all the "kids will be kids" and "kids make mistakes" sentiments over this. Well last I checked, kids DON'T commit armed robbery at gunpoint! But he's a good athlete who can ball, so pretty much all of you suburban white folks are cool with it.

BTW, I've had a gun pointed at me and know the feeling of terror, so I'm not cool with this signing.

After all the hours you spend with this kid, his family, his teammates and legal counsel - you STILL don't want the kid? How could you and CMC both spend countless hours talking with this kid and come up with different conclusions? It's as if you DIDN'T spend any time with the kid and that would just be foolish to render an opinion having a fraction of the facts that the true decision-makers have.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I've had a french bread pointed at me and I know the feeling of terror as well. I'm gluten intolerant.

I'm not making light of your episode, I'm just having fun. If you don't think CMC is character and integrity driven at his very core by now, you never will. The rest of us understand the essence of the man and completely trust his judgement of which young men are worthy of playing for our program. Being a good athlete doesn't get you a scholarship at ISU. Being a fundamentally good young man with athletic skills does. The guys in charge have proven their ability to know the difference time and again.