RECRUITING: Iowa State in Zion Griffin's top four

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Can't decide who I'd pick between Griffin and Allen... Both would be great of course

I don't know their games well enough, but hypothetically, if they both wanted to sign with ISU could they play together or would they be competing for the same playing time?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know their games well enough, but hypothetically, if they both wanted to sign with ISU could they play together or would they be competing for the same playing time?

Sure they could but it won't happen.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Allen and Griffin could definitely play together. Griffin can play a small ball 4. He has played in the post most of his HS career until just recently.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Basketball has moved away from traditional 1-5 lineups being really defined. They have some attributes that overlap but Prohm can make it work or shuffle their time playing on the court.
In the end you take the best talent and figure out the fit later, especially when you have multiple open scholarships. if both want to be in Ames both are takes.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would rather have Zion than Allen. Just flat out because Kansas Offered him. That says something in my book. Does KU swing and miss sometimes? Yep. However, I think the kid is the real deal. Now if we could get both. That would be better. I think we have 3 schollarships to dish out. I would guess we will end up having 4 if tradition of basically one guy a year transfers out do to playing time. We shall see.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I would rather have Zion than Allen. Just flat out because Kansas Offered him. That says something in my book. Does KU swing and miss sometimes? Yep. However, I think the kid is the real deal. Now if we could get both. That would be better. I think we have 3 schollarships to dish out. I would guess we will end up having 4 if tradition of basically one guy a year transfers out do to playing time. We shall see.
I think we still have 4 scholarships, according to CycloneFanatic, but using them all could take us out of the transfer market.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

Stereotype

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2017
Want List

1a. Griffin
1b. Harris
1c. Conditt
I think we still have 4 scholarships, according to CycloneFanatic, but using them all could take us out of the transfer market.
Considering how the spring period went for us this year, I'm fine grabbing a group of guys and sticking with them. Transfers are great but watching a player come in as a freshman, develop and grow and stay under our program is priceless(hear that UNLV?).

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... I feel like I can definitely see myself fitting in there..... It is a dream come true. It is one of my favorite colleges.”

Ouch. The 'dream come true' comment is going to make it tough for CSP to land him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I get the idea of beating out KU for a recruit and watching him succeed against the Jayhawks for 4 years would be satisfying.
Teddy Allen does have UCLA, SDSU and Utah in addition to ISU in his top 5. Beating UCLA for a recruit isn't anything to scoff at.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I get the idea of beating out KU for a recruit and watching him succeed against the Jayhawks for 4 years would be satisfying.
Teddy Allen does have UCLA, SDSU and Utah in addition to ISU in his top 5. Beating UCLA for a recruit isn't anything to scoff at.

Very True. However, I will take Bill Self proven ability to recruit over Steve's. Both would be good. I just have this feeling that beating KU for this guy would be great. BTW we beat out Drake for him so I am totally satisfied.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Very True. However, I will take Bill Self proven ability to recruit over Steve's. Both would be good. I just have this feeling that beating KU for this guy would be great. BTW we beat out Drake for him so I am totally satisfied.
The added benefit of taking a recruit from Self is you don't have to face the kid 2 or 3 times a year until he moves on...

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I understand the lure of Kansas their prestige and history speaks for itself. For some reason I just don't fear them on the recruiting trail. If I'm Zion Griffin and a fringe top 100 recruit I'm worried the next Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Oubre or Josh Jackson is on his way to campus just as I'm about to earn major minutes.

KU and Iowa State aren't both selling apples. Apples and oranges situationhere...what does the kid want?

Now when we were recruiting Cheick Diallo and Rashad Vaughn that was a different story.

Don't get me wrong Zion could very well go to KU and be a 2-3 year starter and absolute stud. Come to Iowa State however and that's all but guaranteed.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Stereotype

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
When I last looked on 247, KU had over 30 offers our for '18 recruits, and half of them were for small forwards. I am not overly worried yet.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
When I last looked on 247, KU had over 30 offers our for '18 recruits, and half of them were for small forwards. I am not overly worried yet.
How many of those have scheduled OVs with them? I'm not one to worry about recruiting but for those that do...

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
How many of those have scheduled OVs with them? I'm not one to worry about recruiting but for those that do...

From what I can tell they have OVs set up for Griffin, Dotson, Grimes, Quickly, Carey, Reid and McKormack. They usually have a ton of unofficial visits for Late Night. Griff in is the only SF on that list. Most are PGs.

Cat

Aug 15, 2017
From what I can tell they have OVs set up for Griffin, Dotson, Grimes, Quickly, Carey, Reid and McKormack. They usually have a ton of unofficial visits for Late Night. Griff in is the only SF on that list. Most are PGs.

Looks like there is a visits tab on 247, however it lists a player that committed to AZ as visiting KU, so they might be slow to update that.

I imagine they will want to get Zion Williamson in for a visit if they can, but Barrett just cut them.

Lol at them bothering to have Reid and Quickley in for ovs.