RECRUITING: Iowa State hosting Tyler Harris this weekend

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Guys are still going to be unhappy with playing time or not doing the things they're supposed to so they're asked to leave.

You still do not oversign and essentially force someone out if they are doing all the things asked of them. Lack of playing time and the player CHOOSING to leave is different. But we should not do things like they did in the movie, "One on One" with Robby Benson.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You still do not oversign and essentially force someone out if they are doing all the things asked of them. Lack of playing time and the player CHOOSING to leave is different. But we should not do things like they did in the movie, "One on One" with Robby Benson.

Pretty much every college program does this including ISU

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Typically when teams oversign, they already know who is going to be gone and it isn't a secret in house. So in essence, they really aren't oversigning

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

We should do like "Blue Chips" and have Nick Nolte find guys like Shaq and Penny Hardaway.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I know Iowa State have had a lot of attrition lately, but looking at the roster, who wouldn't be there next year? Because of the 2 sit out transfers, and an open scholarship, there isn't a single player on the roster that I can't make a case for getting meaningful minutes this year. I know a lot of people are throwing Long's name around, but he got minutes as a freshman, albeit not many, while playing through injury. He is also a highly touted recruit. If he is healthy, I see him getting minutes. If he gets minutes, I don't see him leaving. At this point, I am almost hoping that Conditt goes to Illinois, taking a scholarship that could be used for THT, and we get THT and Harris. I just don't see Conditt being Big 12 Ready any sooner than 3 years from now...

The thing about THT taking so long in his recruiting process is that I see schools using scholarships on guys they can get now rather than waiting on maybe-s. It would be nice to have one late in the game to offer him.

I'm not wishing anybody gone but because you asked I'll throw out the possibilities

In 2018-19 Shayok will most likely play most of the minutes at the two. Leaving Tally, NWB, Lewis and any 2018 signees to battle for the SF minutes. Tally is already a grad transfer and NWB likely could be. One of these guys could see the writing on the wall based on how the upcoming season plays out. Like I said, just a possibility.

Let's say we get Condit, he and Griffin will push for minutes at the four, although Griffin will likely be able to play both forward positions making the three even more of a log jam. If this is the case suddenly you have Jacobsen and Lard competing for minutes behind Young. Again just a possibility.

Fact is everybody wants minutes but having too many good players is a far better than the alternative. I think this is why coaches enjoy having a couple transfers sitting out like the upcoming season, easier to distribute playing time.

• Dislike
Reactions: CprE84

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not wishing anybody gone but because you asked I'll throw out the possibilities

In 2018-19 Shayok will most likely play most of the minutes at the two. Leaving Tally, NWB, Lewis and any 2018 signees to battle for the SF minutes. Tally is already a grad transfer and NWB likely could be. One of these guys could see the writing on the wall based on how the upcoming season plays out. Like I said, just a possibility.

Let's say we get Condit, he and Griffin will push for minutes at the four, although Griffin will likely be able to play both forward positions making the three even more of a log jam. If this is the case suddenly you have Jacobsen and Lard competing for minutes behind Young. Again just a possibility.

Fact is everybody wants minutes but having too many good players is a far better than the alternative. I think this is why coaches enjoy having a couple transfers sitting out like the upcoming season, easier to distribute playing time.

Let's not go there. No positive side to this kind of conversation, at all.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just as I predicted a month ago, we've moved on from worrying about getting any recruits to worrying about how everybody is going to get minutes.

200.webp

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
These are all scenarios that are very very unlikely but possible.

-Wigginton could go pro if he's good enough.
-Long, Lewis, or Solomon could transfer for whatever reason.
-Babb, Talley, or Shayok could all transfer as grad transfers.
-Lard could go juco if he wanted to not burn a year of eligibility.
-Jacobson is probably the most sure player not to transfer due to the fact that he would have to burn a year of eligibility. But ya never know Kasongo did. Ha.

Post #472 stated: Don't play the "guess who will transfer" game. It isn't fair to the players and you just never know with these things.
Post #472 was right.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We should help the players overcome adversity and achieve their dreams like they did in "Ice Castles" starring Robby Benson.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It is amazing isn't it. We need to relax and enjoy the ride.

Agreed. With TH and ZG we're in a decent spot where we can be selective and even if we miss out on THT, TH and GC we still are sitting ok.

I'm pretty comfortable with the young talent we already have in the fold. Anything else is icing on the cake.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous