RECRUITING: Iowa State adds Old Dominion graduate transfer Zoran Talley

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I really like the addition. What's his free throw shooting look like? Could be interesting change if pace to see the team pound it inside and get to the line on a regular basis.
Hopefully Lewis, Long, or Baab can prove to be solid from 3, and I like our chances next year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sorry people who say he's from the future...it's actually a Bond villain name and those guys pull off some crazy things. (until they get caught)
walken11.jpg

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hope he is not thinking this way and intends to compete relentlessly to start.

I intended to include something about that aspect, that if he earns his way into starter-status, that's great ... if nothing else, in his second year we can hope he's performing well enough to crack the lineup. My main point was, in near-term, he may see benefit of carrying his 6th-man ability up the ladder.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Can you imagine after the seaso n gets going and Lewis and Lard get more comfortable a lineup of...

Jackson
Wiggington
Lewis
Talley
Lard

Talk about athletes. It's awesome to see what Prohm wants in his system. That's athletic players 1 through the 5. We lacked that the last two years and Prohm still won with them. Loved those guys but they weren't super athletic.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really like the addition. What's his free throw shooting look like? Could be interesting change if pace to see the team pound it inside and get to the line on a regular basis.
Hopefully Lewis, Long, or Baab can prove to be solid from 3, and I like our chances next year.

Don't forget that Wigginton goes to the FT line a lot too. He's fearless in driving the lane and taking contact and getting to the line.

Reactions: heitclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Zoran will be in the rotation immediately. Weiler-Babb or Terrence Lewis will start on the wing, but we don't have any other backup rotation options at the 2 guard or wing besides those two and Zoran.

The 2018-19 season might actually be more difficult for Zoran to get significant rotation minutes. We return Weiler-Babb and Lewis that season and add Shayok who can also play those two positions.

Is conventional wisdom that Shayok is a heavy minutes starter for sure? 20 mpg for a ranked ACC team and now he'll have an extra season off to strengthen and improve. 9 ppg in 20 mpg for one of the slowest paced teams in probably the top conference is impressive when you process it all.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Is conventional wisdom that Shayok is a heavy minutes starter for sure? 20 mpg for a ranked ACC team and now he'll have an extra season off to strengthen and improve. 9 ppg in 20 mpg for one of the slowest paced teams in probably the top conference is impressive when you process it all.

Based on the CCL highlights I would say absolutely he's a lock to start and play heavy minutes

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
For a long time, I've liked value of a true 6th man, and since Talley was named Sixth Man of the Year in C-USA, obviously he thrived in that role.

I assume if he is transferring from a mid-major to Big 12, he has no immediate expectation of being a starter, so filling a roster-niche works for him, and probably for ISU's needs. (That even could be "7th/8th" man this season)

I think its worth noting that he did start 31 games as a frosh, it says a lot about his character that after starting basically every game as a frosh on a team that won 25 games, he was ok with coming off the bench as a soph. Not only was he ok with it,like you said, he thrived in that role. That experience combined with his comments after committing tell me he's bought into the team concept and will arrive in Ames ready to play whichever role CSP has in mind for him.

CyclONE Nation

Mar 16, 2017
Can you imagine after the seaso n gets going and Lewis and Lard get more comfortable a lineup of...

Jackson
Wiggington
Lewis
Talley
Lard

Talk about athletes. It's awesome to see what Prohm wants in his system. That's athletic players 1 through the 5. We lacked that the last two years and Prohm still won with them. Loved those guys but they weren't super athletic.

Whar young?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not sure about that yet.

I think it safe to say he is, probably only because the other guys are still kind of unknowns. Shayok has played lots of minutes in a big time league and been part of some really good teams. I don't know that he's the most talented guy on the team but he's the most known commodity at this point.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If anyone is unsure how to pronounce his first name, you'll get the answer in the first three seconds of this video. The second syllable is accented, not the first.

Second syllable is pronounced "ran" as in "Troy Davis ran all over the Missouri defense".

Pronounced Zoo ran but fluid not chopped syllables.
Back to his name pronunciation, I think Talley pronounced it w a very 'quick zoo'-Ran, but it might also be zuh-Ran. Regardless, he might get the nickname "ZOO". I can see hear it now, "ZOO for another 3!!!" :cool:

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
“We are excited to add Zoran to our program,” Prohm said in a release Thursday afternoon. “He has had great success, both personally and as a team, at ODU and will be an asset for our team. Zoran brings versatility on both ends of the floor and his ability to play and guard several positions will benefit us. He can score and make plays and with him being immediately eligible, that is great for us.”

Wait wut? Didn't this kid just get kicked out of his school for a third strike?! I get being excited about a new addition but this is laughably inaccurate. I would love to see what it would take for him to not have had personal success at his previous school.

• Disagree
Reactions: jim4

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
“We are excited to add Zoran to our program,” Prohm said in a release Thursday afternoon. “He has had great success, both personally and as a team, at ODU and will be an asset for our team. Zoran brings versatility on both ends of the floor and his ability to play and guard several positions will benefit us. He can score and make plays and with him being immediately eligible, that is great for us.”

Wait wut? Didn't this kid just get kicked out of his school for a third strike?! I get being excited about a new addition but this is laughably inaccurate. I would love to see what it would take for him to not have had personal success at his previous school.

He's had personal basketball success. C-USA 6th Man of the Year and leading scorer of ODU off the bench iirc. So no, not inaccurate at all. Prohm was not speaking of his issues with those words

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
He's had personal basketball success. C-USA 6th Man of the Year and leading scorer of ODU off the bench iirc. So no, not inaccurate at all. Prohm was not speaking of his issues with those words
Fair enough. When reading that I thought he was referring to personal success, not his basketball success. I would agree that he seems to be a pretty damn good player. He will be one of the first guys off the bench, imo.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Fair enough. When reading that I thought he was referring to personal success, not his basketball success. I would agree that he seems to be a pretty damn good player. He will be one of the first guys off the bench, imo.

Well he's also going to graduate college in 3 years + a summer and have 2 years of eligibility...I'd say that also qualifies as personal success.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and seattleCy