RECRUITING: Got some details on Prohm's relationship with Garrison Brooks

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Here's the thing.....I think everyone should expect a rebuilding year next year based on where the previous coach left us. However, with a very good fall class and chances on some good transfers/jucos in the spring, we are thinking that next year might not be as big of a rebuilding year. So, in theory, it should be a win-win for the fans.

You probably won't believe it, but I agree with you and think that your post is a proper perspective on things.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
God I wish people would get off the "Fred screwed us". He's been gone going on 3 seasons and left us in good enough shape for a sweet 16 and a Big 12 tournament championship. Came to Ames and resurrected the program and idiots ***** about him

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
God I wish people would get off the "Fred screwed us". He's been gone going on 3 seasons and left us in good enough shape for a sweet 16 and a Big 12 tournament championship. Came to Ames and resurrected the program and idiots ***** about him
Without Fred our program would most likely still be a dumpster fire. He deserves a ton of credit and some people need to give it a rest already blaming him for everything when Prohm is doing everything possible to put together a tournament team again next season (and I'm confident he will).

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't think anyone is doubting Fred or aren't appreciative of the extreme relevance he brought back to this program at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Fred did a lot of really good things for ISU and basically set Prohm up for two good seasons. I wish that he would have done a better job of recruiting his last few years, as ISU could have been a lot better this past year with a couple of young posts on the roster. That said, Prohm had time to recruit and went all in on Lard and Malou, neither of which played. If we have an NIT team or worse this year, there will be plenty of blame to go around between Prohm and Hoiberg.

Of course, missing the tournament one year isn't the end of the world. Duke and UK have both missed it in the past 5 years or so. The key is getting back there in 18-19.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
I love Fred and I wouldn't take back his tenure for anything. It does hurt a little that no one he signed is left on the team only two seasons after he was gone though. I know the transfer/grad transfer market has changed things but it's still somewhat surprising for the success he had. Think it just comes back to him preferring to manage a roster than woo and babysit 18 year olds.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This kid will never see the floor at UNC. They will recruit over him some one and dines. Unless he is way under ranked. Roy will ditch him after his freshman or sophomore years. This is a late addition where they needed a big guy. Kid should have stayed committed to his old school.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fred did a lot of really good things for ISU and basically set Prohm up for two good seasons. I wish that he would have done a better job of recruiting his last few years, as ISU could have been a lot better this past year with a couple of young posts on the roster. That said, Prohm had time to recruit and went all in on Lard and Malou, neither of which played. If we have an NIT team or worse this year, there will be plenty of blame to go around between Prohm and Hoiberg.

Of course, missing the tournament one year isn't the end of the world. Duke and UK have both missed it in the past 5 years or so. The key is getting back there in 18-19.

Not both. UK missed it maybe 4 years ago....just looked at W'pedia and they went through a 3-4 year drought in the late 80's. Sanctions?

Your point still stands though and I agree--ISU's 'good' at one time was making it a couple of years and then having some REALLY bad seasons...I think the talent's there in an era where being young is more forgivable and if things can gel quicker, Prohm's decision making for who's playing comes on quicker, etc., I like ISU to be playing decent ball by the end of the season like the last two years and have a legit shot at getting into the 64 team field.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This kid will never see the floor at UNC. They will recruit over him some one and dines. Unless he is way under ranked. Roy will ditch him after his freshman or sophomore years. This is a late addition where they needed a big guy. Kid should have stayed committed to his old school.
Doubtful. At least one of the ranking services hasn't watched him since the summer.

This isn't a typical spring recruit. He had major programs after him back in the fall and he's developed a good amount since. Is he a OAD? Not likely, but he'll be very good before he leaves UNC imo. He's a better recruit than Maye

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Then you need to read the previous page to this thread

Not here to read others' minds....I'm just saying that I don't necessarily think those that have stated the transition time 'was' an issue due to the Bulls dragging it out with Thibs, Matt (knowing Fred was gone) leaving for St. John's, and perhaps earlier NBA interviews causing negative recruiting, did create a gap in recruiting classes as noted with Babb as the only sophomore and he was a transfer in later. Still feel the 'majority' of posters are beyond thankful and impressed for what Fred did here, yet can still recognize it may have caused a setback when we lost all of our front court last year which really could have included Naz and Monte too. Heaven knows we know how hard it is to recruit big guys in a normal situation.

Guessing we all agree that both Fred and Prohm have (and will) do a great job. Prohm in sustaining and hopefully building upon what Fred impressively created/turned around. No setback or small unfortunate circumstance will ever take away from....that Fred was one of the best things to ever happen to ISU basketball.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not here to read others' minds....I'm just saying that I don't necessarily think those that have stated the transition time 'was' an issue due to the Bulls dragging it out with Thibs, Matt (knowing Fred was gone) leaving for St. John's, and perhaps earlier NBA interviews causing negative recruiting, did create a gap in recruiting classes as noted with Babb as the only sophomore and he was a transfer in later. Still feel the 'majority' of posters are beyond thankful and impressed for what Fred did here, yet can still recognize it may have caused a setback when we lost all of our front court last year which really could have included Naz and Monte too. Heaven knows we know how hard it is to recruit big guys in a normal situation.

Guessing we all agree that both Fred and Prohm have (and will) do a great job. Prohm in sustaining and hopefully building upon what Fred impressively created/turned around. No setback or small unfortunate circumstance will ever take away from....that Fred was one of the best things to ever happen to ISU basketball.

We really need to be thankful that Naz's career was extended a year and that Monte decided to come back, as I don't think the options where there to replace those kinds of guys. That second year with strong returnees was a blessing.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We really need to be thankful that Naz's career was extended a year and that Monte decided to come back, as I don't think the options where there to replace those kinds of guys. That second year with strong returnees was a blessing.

Exactly. But that just proves the recruiting whole that Fred left. Fred did 99 things right, but the 1 thing he did "wrong" was leave the cupboard pretty bare in terms of recruiting.

It's all water under the bridge now and I'm just glad Prohm is tearing it up on the recruiting trail.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did anybody else read this title as being about Prohm having a connection with Garth Brooks?