Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Happy dance time!
giphy.gif

Reactions: ISUChippewa

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but...

Whar posters who always want 6'10"?

But does he have guard skills and the ability to play 1-5 at the next level?

Obviously he is nothing special because we are not recruiting like Kentucky year after year because all our assistants suck and Steve Prohm is the worst all time ever. :p

Besides he said he is still growing so he is probably more like 6'11" anyway haha

• Funny
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And finish around 36th when it's all said and done. Highly unlikely we do much better than 30th, even if our guys jump a bit.

I'm perfectly fine with 4 year 4* and high 3* guys with the occasional 5*, just want people to be informed and not get all crazy expecting a high finish class when that is the reality of where we will finish if we get THT.

If we don't get THT and bank one for transfer season, the class would be around 55th. Attrition probably opens a 2nd scholarship though.

In terms of 5* players look at the average production of a one and done. Compare it to Royce, Clyburn, and Kane's one season. I like that method better than chasing Rashad Vaughn who was worse his one year than those players. Royce was a bit of a real recruiting job like a 5* or 4* with Kentucky poking around but guys like Clyburn and Kane didn't involve any of the theatrics of a 5* hat ceremony and they delivered a lot more than almost any 19 year old college player does.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
In terms of 5* players look at the average production of a one and done. Compare it to Royce, Clyburn, and Kane's one season. I like that method better than chasing Rashad Vaughn who was worse his one year than those players. Royce was a bit of a real recruiting job like a 5* or 4* with Kentucky poking around but guys like Clyburn and Kane didn't involve any of the theatrics of a 5* hat ceremony and they delivered a lot more than almost any 19 year old college player does.

Ironically, Vaughn proved to be not worth the hype at all.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015

4 stars and high 3 stars don’t cost money.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I love the Illinois writers/recruiting guys saying "our chances were never good, his dad played sports there, he was going there since the offer came in" even though in every interview I've heard he stated it hasn't been a big part of his decision.

Sure, there was probably some subliminal thoughts about wanting to go there and follow in his dads footsteps, but I don't think there is any doubting our Staff pulled out this recruiting win themselves.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I am really excited to see how our three commits rankings play out when the recruiting sites update. I think all three have a chance to get a bump during their senior years based off of potential. Halliburton has been trending up, Conditt has the frame and diet caffeine free Anthony Davis Lite skill set, and Zion just started playing the wing recently albeit he saw a small dip from his previous ranking.

I like the long term prospects of all three and I don't think any of the three will demand major minutes their freshman years either given that we likely won't have many to go around if things go well this year. Throw in THT in the mix and you have a pretty damn good line up for the future even if wiggington goes pro (which who really knows how that plays out).

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Other than one guy confusing Iowa State for Oklahoma State there isn't much that is juicy in there.
I like how one guy is convinced that the only reason we signed a recruit like George is because of the family connection. It went something like "If George's dad didn't go there, there's no way he goes to a school like ISU"

Yes, like we didn't just sign a 5 star in the last recruiting class. -_-

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
While I agree on get talent where you can, non top-10 5* guys like Wiggi can stay more than a year. Wiggi has said he plans on being here more than a year.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS and isutrevman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I am really excited to see how our three commits rankings play out when the recruiting sites update. I think all three have a chance to get a bump during their senior years based off of potential. Halliburton has been trending up, Conditt has the frame and diet caffeine free Anthony Davis Lite skill set, and Zion just started playing the wing recently albeit he saw a small dip from his previous ranking.

I like the long term prospects of all three and I don't think any of the three will demand major minutes their freshman years either given that we likely won't have many to go around if things go well this year. Throw in THT in the mix and you have a pretty damn good line up for the future even if wiggington goes pro (which who really knows how that plays out).
Obviously you never know how guys will pan out, but it is a good feeling to see the balance across positions we have with the current Fr. and next years class. I don't see any major positional holes in out years that suggest the staff will need to reach on a guy.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Disclaimer: TLDR if you don't care about recruiting rankings lol

Last night I was looking over our commits/THT on the recruiting rankings sites. Every single one of our commits is on the rise at this time which will be cool to follow. I'll do a little analysis on each because I have way too much time on my hands.

Zion Griffin: ZG is #75 on 247 right now and #94 on rivals and his composite sits at .9221. A good player rankings comparison I found was J'Raan Brooks. Brooks is #95 on 247 and #70 on rivals and his composite is .9686 because of the 4 star/top 100 rating he has on Scout and ESPN. If Scout moves Zion to a 4 star and ESPN presumably gives him 4 star status, his composite should jump significantly back up to where it was at or higher in the .96-97 range. This is not even taking into account the chance that he could end up a top 50 player like the 247 scout suggested post commitment.

Tyrese Haliburton: Haliburton is #253 on 247 and #150 on Rivals with a composite rating of .9101. He hasn't been evaluated by Scout or ESPN. His composite ranking seems pretty fair to me while I definitely think he will finish as a top 200 player at least on 247. I'm assuming Scout and ESPN will eventually give him a 3 star rating as well.

George Conditt: Conditt is #129 on 247 and an unranked 3 star on Rivals with a composite rating of .8792. Scout has him as an unranked 3 star while ESPN has not evaluated big George. If he was able to crack the top 150 on Rivals his composite would probably shoot up above .9000. I don't think this is unreasonable to expect if Conditt continues to progress this season and impress like he did this summer.

Talen Horton-Tucker: THT is #163 on 247 and #54 on Rivals with a composite of .9379. Scout has him as a 4 star and ESPN laughably has not evaluated him yet. I'm kind of surprised 247 is so behind on this one as THT has been a known top 100 prospect for a while now and this summer further established that. A good player rankings comparison I found was Pete Nance. Nance is currently #61 on Rivals and #91 on 247. He also has a 4 star rating on Scout (like THT) and is a 4 star on ESPN as well. There is just no way THT doesn't end up in the top 100 on 247 imo. Nance's composite is .9711 and if THT stays that high on Rivals I think the .9700 neighborhood is where his will end up.

For what my guesses are worth on those composites (Using Haliburton and Conditt's current composites and using the players I compared ZG and THT to), that would give ISU an overall "points" value of 59.67. In 2017 that would be good for the 16th best class in the country.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Disclaimer: TLDR if you don't care about recruiting rankings lol

Last night I was looking over our commits/THT on the recruiting rankings sites. Every single one of our commits is on the rise at this time which will be cool to follow. I'll do a little analysis on each because I have way too much time on my hands.

Zion Griffin: ZG is #75 on 247 right now and #94 on rivals and his composite sits at .9221. A good player rankings comparison I found was J'Raan Brooks. Brooks is #95 on 247 and #70 on rivals and his composite is .9686 because of the 4 star/top 100 rating he has on Scout and ESPN. If Scout moves Zion to a 4 star and ESPN presumably gives him 4 star status, his composite should jump significantly back up to where it was at or higher in the .96-97 range. This is not even taking into account the chance that he could end up a top 50 player like the 247 scout suggested post commitment.

Tyrese Haliburton: Haliburton is #253 on 247 and #150 on Rivals with a composite rating of .9101. He hasn't been evaluated by Scout or ESPN. His composite ranking seems pretty fair to me while I definitely think he will finish as a top 200 player at least on 247. I'm assuming Scout and ESPN will eventually give him a 3 star rating as well.

George Conditt: Conditt is #129 on 247 and an unranked 3 star on Rivals with a composite rating of .8792. Scout has him as an unranked 3 star while ESPN has not evaluated big George. If he was able to crack the top 150 on Rivals his composite would probably shoot up above .9000. I don't think this is unreasonable to expect if Conditt continues to progress this season and impress like he did this summer.

Talen Horton-Tucker: THT is #163 on 247 and #54 on Rivals with a composite of .9379. Scout has him as a 4 star and ESPN laughably has not evaluated him yet. I'm kind of surprised 247 is so behind on this one as THT has been a known top 100 prospect for a while now and this summer further established that. A good player rankings comparison I found was Pete Nance. Nance is currently #61 on Rivals and #91 on 247. He also has a 4 star rating on Scout (like THT) and is a 4 star on ESPN as well. There is just no way THT doesn't end up in the top 100 on 247 imo. Nance's composite is .9711 and if THT stays that high on Rivals I think the .9700 neighborhood is where his will end up.

For what my guesses are worth on those composites (Using Haliburton and Conditt's current composites and using the players I compared ZG and THT to), that would give ISU an overall "points" value of 59.67. In 2017 that would be good for the 16th best class in the country.

I guess that would be a best case scenario finish. 2017 was a weird year, going back year by year, the finishes would be:
22, 24, 25, 20, 23, 22.

I would have gone back further but 2011 data and older is broken or inaccurate. Nebby is #1 with 2 3* and a 2* in that class.

I'd be very surprised if we finish top 25; I think we'll be just outside the top 30.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron