RECRUITING: Football commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't really care about stars. I care about body type and frame. Then you factor in their movement in open space. This coaching staff is getting huge players. Ramos is 6'5'' 290 lbs as a true freshman! Are you kidding me? Two more receivers at 6'4''? We have all seen what these huge receivers do to the opposing defenses. Things are going up and they aren't going to stop for a while.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There are 4 and 5 star drama kings who will never fit into CMC plan. I don't want them even if they are top 5 NFL prospects. I want young men who are as talented as we can get but still value team over individual and fit the criteria of their position. You can bring in a player due to EXTREME need and they can have all the raw talent in the world, but if the mentality is wrong it will subtract from the total. We are about a year away from rarely needing JC's or transfers unless they have been vetted and are a minimal risk.

Not sure if I'd go THAT far. Can we have just one?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Who do you think was the first remaining recruit CMC called after our big LB win?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I also don't think CMC's classes on paper look that much better than what Rhoads was bringing in here, however, once they are on the field, they look a lot better than what Rhoads was bringing in IMO.

So I don't really care all that much how many 4 stars or 3 stars we get, I trust that either this staff scouts these guys better and finds diamonds in the rough better, OR that they can develop them better once they get them in here. I don't really care which it is, I just hope it keeps happening.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I also don't think CMC's classes on paper look that much better than what Rhoads was bringing in here, however, once they are on the field, they look a lot better than what Rhoads was bringing in IMO.

So I don't really care all that much how many 4 stars or 3 stars we get, I trust that either this staff scouts these guys better and finds diamonds in the rough better, OR that they can develop them better once they get them in here. I don't really care which it is, I just hope it keeps happening.
This is spot on, Campbell and crew are pulling in recruits that actually are filling the biggest needs. The development curve is seems to be much higher than under Rhoads...excited for the coming years.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

Lanning may be the best example as far as "developing".

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Scates unless there is a grad transfer (QB/OL/S) we dont know about.

Scates is obviously a great player, and one you can't turn down, however, this team has a lot more pressing needs than WR right now. QB transfer/JUCO, Safety, OL, LB, TE/H-back come to mind. Here's the WR we'll either have on the roster next year or already committed for years to come....

Hakeem Butler
Matt Eaton
Deshaunte Jones
Carson Epps
Denver Johnson
Landon Akers
Jalen Martin
Josh Johnson
Tarique Milton
Sean Shaw
Carson Schleker
Darien Porter
Maurice Massey

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love Scates, just not sure he's the biggest NEED right now, that's all.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I wasnt arguing it is a need. I said I think it was CMCs first call. Who do you think his first call was?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
24/7 says Bobby Lawrence is a Grey shirt.

Total monster in his highlight video. Plays with some great pad level and heavy hands on those down blocks. Pretty impressive for a 6'8" high schooler!

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Big, athletic lineman. Watching his highlights, I am surprised he didn't have more offers. Looks like a kid that could be a steal later.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
He can someone please explain what a grey shirt player is? I know that they get a scholarship the second year, but do they pay their own way freshman year or are they not on the team at all?

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
24/7 says Bobby Lawrence is a Grey shirt.

Total monster in his highlight video. Plays with some great pad level and heavy hands on those down blocks. Pretty impressive for a 6'8" high schooler!

Judging on the size of the other players, I'm guessing a smaller school division. He looked like he was playing against junior high kids.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
He can someone please explain what a grey shirt player is? I know that they get a scholarship the second year, but do they pay their own way freshman year or are they not on the team at all?

Greyshirt pays his way for Fall Semester. Then our seniors drop off the team in January and he goes on scholarship. Not on the team until January.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
So they can't work out, or practice with the team? Or they can, but it's as a regular walk on?