RECRUITING: Cyclones pursuing Utah State transfer Koby McEwen

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Last year we returned 12 starts total for a player on a P5 conference team. Next season, if everyone returns we have a roster with 8 players with starts on a P5 conference team. To think next year is going to be better is not drinking the kool aid.

56 Jacobson
38 Young
31 Wigginton
23 Shayok
20 Weiler-Babb
16 Lard
11 Talley
1 Lewis

= 196

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Prohm said he never did offer?

Matt Bain reported they hadn't extended any offers to the targets as of Friday. The staff's plan was to meet with the targets first discuss fits and then decide. Considering the Prohm was the last visit and news McEwen had decided on his finial 3 was Sunday night, I feel safe saying they meet and decided the expectations for both parties wasn't a fit and they moved on.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's possible that he just wanted a bigger city to live in after three years in Logan. It's not for everybody. Omaha, Milwaukee, and Pheonix fit.
Let's also not forget that there's a reasonable chance that LW would still be here McEwens first year of eligibity, and a (granted very small chance) possibility that LW is here when McEwen is a Sr.

I'm not convinced LW is gone after next year, but if he is, Haliburtons strong finish to the season is really encouraging. He looks like an absolute steal.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Will we always play 7 tournament teams + 2 on the bubble (twice), with a roster that lost 80% of its scoring?

The point is that you will always have a Top 30 schedule in the Big 12 based upon the elite coaches in this league. You will need to beat good teams most of the nights.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The point is that you will always have a Top 30 schedule in the Big 12 based upon the elite coaches in this league. You will need to beat good teams most of the nights.

Of course you will, but this season, with 7 in and 2 more on the bubble, it was an historical year for the Big 12, without question. And we went into it with a completely new roster (1 returning partial year starter/role player (sophomore) and players 6 and 7 off the bench).

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
You can pretty much say “losing him isn’t a back breaker” about 90% of recruits, but it can still be death by a thousand cuts in recruiting.

We lose Babb, Shayok, Talley and probably Wigginton next year. That could be our entire starting backcourt.

We need a good sit out transfer guard this spring to offset those loses, IMO.

And it’s very unlikely that a bigger fish surfaces that’s not 90% likely to go to Oregon, Gonzaga, Mizzou, etc.

With his ties, McEwen was probably as good as it gets for us.

Overreact much? We spent maybe 1-2 weeks recruiting the kid and he had nearly a dozen high major offers. If the 2019/2020 season was to start today we already have a pretty talented roster compiled. That's before you add the 2019 recruiting class and any possile transfer/s.

Wigginton (possibly)
Lewis
THT
Griffin
Jacobsen
Lard
Young

That's a pretty legit 7 man rotation. We'll see how Conditt and Haliburton develop.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: ComCY and Cydkar

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Overreact much? We spent maybe 1-2 weeks recruiting the kid and he had nearly a dozen high major offers. If the 2019/2020 season was to start today we already have a pretty talented roster compiled. That's before you add the 2019 recruiting class and any possile transfer/s.

Wigginton (possibly)
Lewis
THT
Griffin
Jacobsen
Lard
Young

That's a pretty legit 7 man rotation. We'll see how Conditt and Haliburton develop.

I'm not overreacting. I'm saying I seriously doubt there will be "bigger fish" that surface.

And we need at least one more upperclassman guard for next year.

For all I know Prohm didn't like his attitude and this was the right thing to do. What I'm saying is that talented sit-out guards with a natural tie-in (AAU team) aren't a dime a dozen so it's too bad this didn't work out.

• Disagree
Reactions: ComCY

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'm not overreacting. I'm saying I seriously doubt there will be "bigger fish" that surface.

For all I know Prohm didn't like his attitude and this was the right thing to do. What I'm saying is that talented sit-out guards with a natural tie-in (AAU team) aren't a dime a dozen so it's too bad this didn't work out.

One door closes and another opens. If Wigginton returns for a 3rd year he and Lewis would both be juniors. THT would be a sophomore. Not like wed be rolling a bunch of true freshman out there. Prohm and staff have clearly placed an emphasis on guard in the 2019 recruiting class. It'll be pretty critical to land an instant impact type of player in the 2019 recruiting class

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
I think the staff visited Mcewen and he wasn't interested, not sure how thats a miss or even remotely compared to Juiston, Brown and some of the guys that were offered/visited last year but didn't commit. This visit was just to feel out the kids interest. If he shortened his list this soon, he must have had some schools in mind before he announced. Not sure there's much more Prohm could have done.

Or vice-versa... or mutual non-interest.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Just find it comical that everyone was so pumped that we were in a favorable position with one scholarship and no glaring immediate needs. Be selective everyone said! Youd think we were gonna sit back and wait for the next Royce White to fall in our lap. Fast forward a month and ppl are freaking out the first transfer we seriously kicked the tires on isn't a Clone. Instant gratification society I suppose. I for one am not concerned. McEwen is a nice player. Others will come along. Never a bad thing to have an open scholarship on your hip. If nothing else keeps me checking these boards. CW probably loves it!

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Just find it comical that everyone was so pumped that we were in a favorable position with one scholarship and no glaring immediate needs. Be selective everyone said! Youd think we were gonna sit back and wait for the next Royce White to fall in our lap. Fast forward a month and ppl are freaking out the first transfer we seriously kicked the tires on isn't a Clone. Instant gratification society I suppose. I for one am not concerned. McEwen is a nice player. Others will come along. Never a bad thing to have an open scholarship on your hip. If nothing else keeps me checking these boards. CW probably loves it!

You do realize that you replied to this same comment twice today, don't you?

I'd say you're the one freaking out.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So this guy isn't coming? What a shocker, reminds me of last year when everyone was excited about which 4 of the Top 6 transfers we were landing.

giphy.webp

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
1. Shayok is a stud.
2. Jacobson may not be a star, but he has proven to be very effective at this level, and is an extremely hard working, high energy guy. I don't know that I'd call that TBD, beyond the extent of his actual role.
3. Talley has proven himself to be very effective at this level as well. He'll surely log less minutes than he did late this last season, but I think 15+ minutes is more like it.

I think Talley's numbers & impact would've much higher if he didn't have his foot injury. I also think we win a couple more games if that didn't happen.