RECRUITING: Cyclones contact Tamin Lipsey on the first official day of 2022 recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think a guy who gets forgotten a lot as far as transfers go is Will Clyburn. He was an absolute stud. Averaged 16 points in Big 12 play, 14 overall. Just a nightmare to guard.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
I think a guy who gets forgotten a lot as far as transfers go is Will Clyburn. He was an absolute stud. Averaged 16 points in Big 12 play, 14 overall. Just a nightmare to guard.

He was definitely a stud. Unfortunately when I think about him the first thing that comes to mind is the bs charge call against him that was clearly a block by that ***** Aaron craft. That game was a heartbreaker.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He was definitely a stud. Unfortunately when I think about him the first thing that comes to mind is the bs charge call against him that was clearly a block by that ***** Aaron craft. That game was a heartbreaker.
That game haunts me.. Babb going down was demoralizing and that call against Will set in motion the current block charge rule, so that's awesome we're a part of that history. Also, fun stat alert, in the previous 10 games before the Iowa State game, Craft was 4-18 (22%) from beyond the arc. Shot one and made one against us.

I need a drink.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and Snydes

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I have nothing of importance to add. Just wanted to say I coached against Tamin in 8th grade. He was unreal. He could do whatever he wanted but I was so impressed with how he included his teammates. I bet he only shot the ball 3-5 times, including when he just about threw down an alley oop. Also, I'm not sure he even played a combined 2 quarters. It wasn't fair.

He also left the gym that night wearing an ISU hoodie, which I'm sure is super meaningful.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have nothing of importance to add. Just wanted to say I coached against Tamin in 8th grade. He was unreal. He could do whatever he wanted but I was so impressed with how he included his teammates. I bet he only shot the ball 3-5 times, including when he just about threw down an alley oop. Also, I'm not sure he even played a combined 2 quarters. It wasn't fair.

He also left the gym that night wearing an ISU hoodie, which I'm sure is super meaningful.

As a Freshman in the state tournament loss he deferred too much and probably should’ve been more assertive. Understandable for a freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Royce - despite what we know about his mental state now - was as close as you can get to a unique talent. The other transfer pieces were very good but the transformational talent that was Royce White made Fred's second team and put him and Iowa State on the map as the place to go for second chances. Royce led the team in points, rebounds, blocks and assists and as a F/C he handled point guard duties.

We can debate whether Fred's new pieces are closer to Beverly or closer to a Chris (Allen or Babb), but there is no player remotely close to Royce on that roster.

Royce was a generational talent -- agreed.

But Allen and Babb were proven high-major starters who played on good teams that eventually made at least decent postseason runs in March.

(Allen at MSU and ISU, and Babb only at ISU.)

Plus, Hoiberg inherited Scott Christopherson (one of the best shooters in school history) and Melvin Ejim (a very talented young big man and excellent locker room/culture guy) from the previous regime. That was our starting five that year.

I think all five of those guys are better than anybody on Nebraska right now.

Yes, Royce was transcendent, but he had a very good team around him. Nebraska lacks a star like that, and its supporting cast is not that good.

If you have a continuum like this, with Beverly on the left and Royce on the right...

Beverly -------|------- Royce

Allen and Babb are way more to the right than they are to the left, and all of Nebraska's incoming guys are to the left of them, closer to the average/Beverly side.

Reactions: VeloClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Lipsey looks a lot more rocked up than Morris was as a college freshman. Lipsey looks more naturally built for strength. Frankly, reminds me a bit more of a Curtis Stinson hybrid with Monte... but in terms of the game style I agree, he definitely looks like he plays with pace like Monte did so well.

I just like that, it seems like Lipsey has a great all-around game. He is strong to the hole, finishes well, plays P&R well, has a nice jumper from range, good passer. I am not sure if he really needs to grow more to be a great college guard. If he does grow, it will more likely add to his draft stock, and probably more lethal in college.
Just taking a wild guess that Tamin has the elite athleticism that kept Monte out of the lottery.

Reactions: BACyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Does Tyrese Hunter's commitment today impact Lipsey's recruitment at all? I guess if Hunter is as good as advertised he could very well be a one and done and long gone by the time the 2022 season rolls around, but I was just curious what everyone is thinking.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does Tyrese Hunter's commitment today impact Lipsey's recruitment at all? I guess if Hunter is as good as advertised he could very well be a one and done and long gone by the time the 2022 season rolls around, but I was just curious what everyone is thinking.
No clue what Lipsey is thinking, but I don't think I'd be mad about another recruit coming in the year before me. We weren't going to not recruit players because of a hypothetical recruit coming in another year.

If anything Lipsey sees this as a plus because a big time player just went to the school he's thinking of going to. Just makes the chances of success at that school higher.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No clue what Lipsey is thinking, but I don't think I'd be mad about another recruit coming in the year before me. We weren't going to not recruit players because of a hypothetical recruit coming in another year.

If anything Lipsey sees this as a plus because a big time player just went to the school he's thinking of going to. Just makes the chances of success at that school higher.

Prohm has shown he'll put the best 5 on the floor regardless of position. 2 PGs works the way we rotate on the perimeter as long as they have range.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

That's pretty much where I landed, too. If they were in the same class maybe it'd be different but a lot can change in a year, and even if Hunter is still there in '22 you're going to be challenged for your spot every season at that level of competition. I take it as a positive, especially if Prohm manages to send another guard to the NBA before Lipsey makes his decision.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Getting a chance to match up against Hunter everyday in practice in the kind of prep that gets players to the league.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm not worried about Lipsey. I think Hunter is just as good, or better anyway. I don't think Hunter is likely to be one and done, though. It's not like he's a top 15-20 player. He's more likely to be a 4 year guy, than 1 and done.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's pretty much where I landed, too. If they were in the same class maybe it'd be different but a lot can change in a year, and even if Hunter is still there in '22 you're going to be challenged for your spot every season at that level of competition. I take it as a positive, especially if Prohm manages to send another guard to the NBA before Lipsey makes his decision.
If Hunter goes one-and-done, that means he started over a senior Tyler Harris (assuming Harris gets his waiver), or he actually does win the 6th man of the year in the Big 12 and there was too much talent above him for him to start as a freshman. That means we're very good.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think his roster might be a little better next year. However, the transfer recruits he is pulling now are not Royce White and all those dudes. They are more Jeff Beverly.

cytown12. You disliked this post. So u think Fred is pulling in Royce White type transfers right now

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
cytown12. You disliked this post. So u think Fred is pulling in Royce White type transfers right now
No I think I miss read what you were saying. I thought you talking about Prohm and his transfers this year. But then I saw a another comment and realized you were talking about Hoiberg.

Reactions: Drew0311

Help Support Us

Become a patron