RECRUITING: Brennan Armstrong commits to Minnesota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Recruiting was the reason Claeys got ousted for Fleck. All of the other stuff was just the excuse the AD needed. The change was never going to be helpful to ISU recruiting. Not being negative here, just noting that people that thought the Gophers would be crippled by the recent scandal and coaching change are wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm not worried about the QB position for the future right now.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Now the Gophers are gonna be rowing the boat and dropping the word "Elite" every ten seconds? ****.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I love Campbell, but I also kinda wanted Fleck back in the day.

Wouldn't have minded if Fleck went to a Pac 12 school.....

Reactions: cyfanatic

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
If we can keep the 2019 kid I am really not worried about the QB position for the next while. I really like the two we already have plus the young guy

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Recruiting was the reason Claeys got ousted for Fleck. All of the other stuff was just the excuse the AD needed. The change was never going to be helpful to ISU recruiting. Not being negative here, just noting that people that thought the Gophers would be crippled by the recent scandal and coaching change are wrong.
Agree. I will be curious if Fleck locks down minney recruiting ... my guess is that he will. Lots of minney kids go to NDS, especially linemen.
Got your gift ... thanks. Hopefully you got my email.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
With the hiring of Fleck and his background, I think we will run into the gophers more often on the recruiting trail, especially in Ohio and Michigan.

The big 10 has actually put together a pretty good group of new coaches with Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Franklin, and Fleck. All great recruiters

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Living in the Twin Cities (& having grown up in MN), I still don't see the draw for recruits.

Fleck can sell hope, (which frankly is not different than we have) & MN actually won 9 games this past year.

But, even with 9 wins, their less than 50K capacity stadium is usually 2/3 full, at best. And that's in a metro area with 3.5M people. Very few people that live here care about Minny FB - Vikings & Wild reign here.

I actually hope Minny takes a jump up & starts competing with Iowa & Wisc as long as it doesn't negatively impact ISU. But, I just don't see it happening.

The fan support is bad, it's obvious after the past few months (& historically), the Minny administration is a mess.

I just have a hard time understanding why a recruit would want to walk into the current situation. It must indicate Fleck's recruiting abilities.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Living in the Twin Cities (& having grown up in MN), I still don't see the draw for recruits.

Fleck can sell hope, (which frankly is not different than we have) & MN actually won 9 games this past year.

But, even with 9 wins, their less than 50K capacity stadium is usually 2/3 full, at best. And that's in a metro area with 3.5M people. Very few people that live here care about Minny FB - Vikings & Wild reign here.

I actually hope Minny takes a jump up & starts competing with Iowa & Wisc as long as it doesn't negatively impact ISU. But, I just don't see it happening.

The fan support is bad, it's obvious after the past few months (& historically), the Minny administration is a mess.

I just have a hard time understanding why a recruit would want to walk into the current situation. It must indicate Fleck's recruiting abilities.
I was just in the Twin cities on Saturday. I was surprised to see so much Wild gear around where we were. I did see quite a bit of Gopher stuff but it was a distant 3rd to Vikings and Wild.

• Agree
Reactions: mwitt