Recommend a FF Magazine

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
It's that time of year when I need to sit down and begin my strategy for Fantasy Football drafting. I buy a magazine every year and this year I thought I should solicit the feedback of CFers to see which FF magazine you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I was wondering the same thing. With free agency starting so late, are any of the mags even worth it? I actually considered not buying one for the first time ever. I know that this year was the first time I didn't buy a CFB magazine. That industry is going down the tubes.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
It's that time of year when I need to sit down and begin my strategy for Fantasy Football drafting. I buy a magazine every year and this year I thought I should solicit the feedback of CFers to see which FF magazine you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Every year I pick anywhere from 1 to 3 magazines to prep for our draft. Unfortunately this year may not be a good year to pick one up thanks to the threat of a potential lockout. I think a lot of the magazines held back until they knew for sure if the lockout was happening and by the time it was apparent the lockout wasn't gonna happen it was almost too late to go to press especially when the whirlwind of FA movements started happening almost immediately after the lockout scare was over. I did see a couple of magazines come out early but I passed on them as they were published well before all the new FA stuff went down.

Having said that though, in the past I found myself relying a little more on ESPN's cheat sheets from their magazine. With our draft being Sunday I'm kinda relying on all the internet info I can find (which includes ESPN's online cheat sheets).

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Just read information online. With all of the movement it is better to have a little of up-to-the minute information rather than a lot of information that could be useless.

All you need ESPN's fantasy depth chart and maybe a couple overall rankings.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Just read information online. With all of the movement it is better to have a little of up-to-the minute information rather than a lot of information that could be useless.

All you need ESPN's fantasy depth chart and maybe a couple overall rankings.

This was going to be my approach. I need to sit down and figure out my picks. We're doing an auction draft this year, which is the first time I've ever done that. Need to understand what I'm getting myself into!

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
I use www.fantasyindex.com. They will email you the lastest tidbits and couple cheatsheets for $6.00. Then I compare that to the free 'experts' online. But only win my league every couple of years (jimlad). I personally like their 'top' picks where they rate all positions combined together, so you can kind of see where RB's fall with WR's etc.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
If you need magazines or a newsletter to tell you what to do......do you really have a strategy of your own? What's the point of playing if you can't win or lose on your own intelligence and knowledge?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This was going to be my approach. I need to sit down and figure out my picks. We're doing an auction draft this year, which is the first time I've ever done that. Need to understand what I'm getting myself into!

I think ESPN lets you do a mock draft for auctions. That might help.

If you need magazines or a newsletter to tell you what to do......do you really have a strategy of your own? What's the point of playing if you can't win or lose on your own intelligence and knowledge?

I like to look at other people's strategies to see if I can use those into my own overall strategy.

For example, Matthew Berry (ESPN) discussed (last year) waiting on runningback if you didn't have a top 5 pick and either getting an elite QB or two elite WR's since the runningback class was so deep. I thought that was an interesting strategy that went counter to what I normally do. For what it's worth, this year he thinks the WR pool is deep so that wouldn't be a great strategy.

for those interested, here's his draft day manifesto:

Fantasy football draft-day strategy, analysis, why Michael Vick is No. 1 - Fantasy Football - ESPN

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
In terms of actual paper magazines, I like Pro Football Weekly's fantasy guide.

I don't know if they have exclusive information that I couldn't get from anywhere else online, but it's more of a seasonal ritual for me by this point in time and is probably just pure tradition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron