Mar 1, 2016
Enjoy my recap!

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
XTRA MATCHES – UNI vs Iowa State

125: Kyle Gollhofer (Northern Iowa) over Aden Reeves (Iowa State) (Dec 11-5)

133: Kyle Biscoglia (Northern Iowa) over Ramazan Attasauov (Iowa State) (TB-1 2-1)

133: Jack Skudlarczyk (Northern Iowa) over Corey Cabanban (Iowa State) (MD 14-2)

133: Todd Small (Iowa State) over Jack Wagner (Northern Iowa) (Dec 3-1)

141: Cael Happel (Northern Iowa) over Charlie Klepps (Iowa State) (Dec 7-2)

141: Drew Woodley (Iowa State) over Garrett Moll (Northern Iowa) (Dec 10-4)

149: Andrew Flora (Iowa State) over Adam Allard (Northern Iowa) (Dec 5-0)

149: Kaleb Olejniczak (Northern Iowa) over Andrew Flora (Iowa State) (MD 10-2)

157: derek Holschlag (Northern Iowa) vs. Andrew Huddleston (Iowa State)

157: Colin Realbuto (Northern Iowa) over Andrew Huddleston (Iowa State) (Dec 12-5)

157: Evan Yant (Northern Iowa) over Carter Schmidt (Iowa State) (Dec 4-2)

165: Grant Stotts (Iowa State) over Wade Mitchell (Northern Iowa) (MD 14-5)

174: Lance Runyon (Northern Iowa) over Austin Stotts (Iowa State) (Fall 1:28)

174: Noah Glaser (Northern Iowa) over Caleb Long (Iowa State) (Dec 6-4)

174: Mac Southard (Iowa State) over Noah Glaser (Northern Iowa) (Dec 4-2)

184: Nolan Harsh (Iowa State) over michael Kordek (Northern Iowa) (Dec 2-0)

197: Tyrell Gordon (Northern Iowa) over Cody Fisher (Iowa State) (Dec 7-5)

285: Ethan Andersen (Iowa State) over John McConkey (Northern Iowa) (SV-1 6-4)

EXTRA MATCHES – UNI vs Oklahoma

141: Julian Farber (UNI) over Niko Chavez (Oklahoma) (MD 14-6)

141: Ethan Basile (UNI) over Zack Zeamer (Oklahoma) (Dec 8-2)

165: Troy Mantanona (Oklahoma) over Lucas Roland (UNI) (Dec 6-5)

EXTRA MATCHES – UNI vs UNI

141: Ethan Basile (UNI) over Julian Farber (UNI) (Dec 3-0)

141: Ethan Basile (UNI) over Cael Happel (UNI) (Dec 8-4)

157: Derek Holschlag (UNI) over Colin Realbuto (UNI) (Dec 3-2)

EXTRA MATCHES – Iowa State vs Oklahoma

125: Tommy Hoskin (Oklahoma) over Caleb Fuessley (Iowa State) (Dec 4-0)

184: Demichael Franklin (Iowa State) over Carson Berryhill (Oklahoma) (Dec 4-3)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is it concerning small only won 3-1 over the panther back up?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm confused.

We had a conference meet with Oklahoma in Cedar Falls?

We had 19 extra matches, included a bunch with UNI in Cedar Falls, but it didn't count as a meet?

I'm not confused about Gremmel being a beast! Love that he thrives on the pressure, not just of his match, but the whole meet.

Reactions: ST8TAILG8R

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm confused.

We had 19 extra matches, included a bunch with UNI in Cedar Falls, but it didn't count as a meet?

I'm not confused about Gremmel being a beast! Love that he thrives on the pressure, not just of his match, but the whole meet.
Oklahoma is only going to make one trip to Iowa to cut down on travel this year. To cut it down even more they are only going to wrestle one day here. So we drove to Cedar Falls. The extra matches were almost all back ups against backups to give those room guys matches this year since there isn’t Open Tournaments this year for them to compete in due to the rona.

Reactions: VeloClone

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
I'm confused.

Yeah it all comes back to because the season is shortened due to the virus funky things matched up with visits to UNI and them to Ames without wrestling each other. It's all just a way to support each other as in-state schools with limited competition options. It's odd but it works!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks JM and Jackie.

So there were two meets in Cedar Falls? Not just our meet and a bunch of extras. OU v. ISU and OU v. UNI? Interesting that the OU website lists both, but only the score for the ISU one.

Bottom line. Was our meet with OU competed at full strength? Ours? Theirs? Or did OU split up its best with some wrestling against us and some against UNI? Thus taking some of the polish off the win.

Sorry for being so dumb, but I'm trying to interpret the significance of the win.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Thanks JM and Jackie.

So there were two meets in Cedar Falls? Not just our meet and a bunch of extras. OU v. ISU and OU v. UNI? Interesting that the OU website lists both, but only the score for the ISU one.

Bottom line. Was our meet with OU competed at full strength? Ours? Theirs? Or did OU split up its best with some wrestling against us and some against UNI? Thus taking some of the polish off the win.

Sorry for being so dumb, but I'm trying to interpret the significance of the win.
It’s a good not great win. They wrestled their best line up and cyclones aren’t at full strength. We are wrestling with some back ups due to injuries. I say good not great because they are an average team. Always good to beat a team like OU though and continue the upward trend.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks JM and Jackie.

Regular countable varsity duals with regular varsity lineups: ISU/OU, OU/UNI

Extra matches for backups: ISU/OU, ISU/UNI, OU/UNI

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
So many extra matches this year before of a shortened season without the normal open tournaments for young guys and backups to get those extra matches. A regular dual meet has 10 matches at 10 set weight classes. The win over Oklahoma is comparable to a win over Texas Tech in football. They have some talent and could give us trouble but can’t put it all together.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It’s a good not great win. They wrestled their best line up and cyclones aren’t at full strength. We are wrestling with some back ups due to injuries. I say good not great because they are an average team. Always good to beat a team like OU though and continue the upward trend.

How important is it to win conference meets? Anything more than bragging rights?

Did Dresser wait until the last minute to decide to have Gremmel wrestle in order to win the meet?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
How important is it to win conference meets? Anything more than bragging rights?

Did Dresser wait until the last minute to decide to have Gremmel wrestle in order to win the meet?

Individual results in conference duals help toward seeding for the conference tournament.

Gremmel was going to wrestle no matter what.

The thing with dual scoring is that you're trying to make a team aspect out of an individual sport. There are no dual-meet standings in the Big 12, and no dual-meet national champs.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: CyGold and Cycsk

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Guys aren’t sitting out unless they are hurt usually, so Grenmel was always going to wrestle. Couple of guys who are battling for a spot might flip flop.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Individual results in conference duals help toward seeding for the conference tournament.

Gremmel was going to wrestle no matter what.

The thing with dual scoring is that you're trying to make a team aspect out of an individual sport. There are no dual-meet standings in the Big 12, and no dual-meet national champs.
Maybe I’m way off but didn’t there used to be a dual national tourney years ago? Maybe even at the UNI dome?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe I’m way off but didn’t there used to be a dual national tourney years ago? Maybe even at the UNI dome?

Not as an "NCAA championship" event.

"National Duals" started in the late-80s and died off a few years ago.

Reactions: JM4CY

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah, it was put on by the NWCA, if I recall correctly?

I think they still hold a dual tourney for Juco-DII teams as well as the women's teams.

Reactions: JM4CY