Really, really excited

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bubu will be a blowout game player only unless depth at the guard position becomes a problem.

anyone else get tired of the constant attacks on a kid that's paying his way to be apart of this team? Nobody has seen him play against real competition. Jacy Holloway proved you can be a productive PG in this league with a little talent and a lot of smarts. I have no idea what kind of PG he's going to be but why don't you just cut him some slack?

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I am starting to think MBB roster/ starting lineup/ positions threads are worse than the politics or hok-baiting threads.

this thread is going nowhere.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Let's not get completely hung up on whether a player is a walkon or on scholarship his freshmen year. Some of you might be old enough to remember Jeff Hornacek, who walked on at Iowa State and then started for 4 years at point guard. Lead the Clones to an upset over Michigan and a Sweet 16 appearance. Followed by a long career in the NBA. Ma be not fancy, but I will take him over every point guard that has played at ISU, including Tinsley. But he was not a scorer in HS and thus nobody was after him so ISU got lucky and he came as a preferred walkon.
So give you current walkon a chance. He chose ISU because he wanted to play there, not because ISU offered him a scholarship. That carries some weight with me. I hope he fools everybody and has a great career as a Cyclone and people will talk about how he lead first Ames High School and then the Cyclones to a championship.

Calling Horny a walk-on is really stretching things. Johnny knew he had a kid that was really good and had a shot at greatness. Johnny was right. He was only a walk-on cause he came in the middle of the school year and waited to go on scholly.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I think it's fair to not put ANY expectations on Bubu until we see him play.

Right now as a walk it's reasonable and fair to say he should be a serviceable off the bench player until we see more. If he is more than that GREAT!

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
It might be a little premature to break down the lineup for the '11-'12 season, but it's fun to project.

I like the progress Bubu is making and I think he'll contribute at ISU before all is said and done, but I'm not sold on him ever cracking the starting lineup just yet. The back court is going to be solid that season. DP and SC will both be seniors and SC especially will be a capable scorer. I'm not sold on DP being a true impact player at this point, and I think there are questions lingering about his ability to run the show. Just too tough to know how a JUCO will pan out. Is he going to be Cory McIntosh or is he going to be Mike Taylor? Odds are he'll fall somewhere in between, but it's just too tough to tell.

Along with those guys in the backcourt, Babb is a proven scorer and a deadly shooter. I think he's capable of being a 15+ ppg guy if he can put it all together. As for Odunsi and whatever potential PG that I believe the staff is eyeing, we'll just have to see if they're B12 ready, but I do think Odunsi is a gamer and a scrapper and could see time right away.

As for the wings, Ejim could be a four year starter, and has a lot of ability. Elgin Cook seems to be one helluva athlete and could make an impact on the court right away with his above-the-rim game and length.

The frontcourt is dicey. If Royce White is here in '11-'12, than I think the group could be solid, but if not, Booker is still an enigma and who knows if he's going to live up to his high school ranking? After that, the triad of Railey/McKnight/Godfrey is a HUGE question mark. I think Railey is going to be the most B12 ready this season and he made me think of guys like Jiri Hubalek and Martin Rancik, but has a lot to work on offensively before he gets to their level, but defensively, I think he can play right away. McKnight and Godfrey seem to be projects, at least IMO. Godfrey reminds me of Cory Johnson, except with more bulk and power, but without a refined offensive game. McKnight makes me think of Reggie George; talented big man that some big schools were sniffing around, but a body that still needed work in the weight room and raw, unpolished skill.

The team should be very talented and could be a fringe-to-sure thing NCAA team, but I think so much of that hinges on White/Booker and the rest of the frontcourt, and how well DP, Odunsi, Bubu or '11 PG Recruit X run the show.

I like that these guys have over a full year to work together and build chemistry, but there's far too many question marks and unknowns at this point to make definitive statements about their ceiling.

Help Support Us

Become a patron