Really feel for TxT fans with McClung now gone too ...

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Yes, if he had an ounce of ethics, which he obviously doesn't, he'd say: Look you made a commitment to play at Tech. If you want to transfer that's fine, but not to Texas. That would be wrong for you, me and both schools. That's what Huggs did when he left for WVU. Beard is an unethical scumbag for destroying Tech's program. Just another reason to loathe Texas.
I award you 100 points for the creativity of using "Huggins" and "ethics" in the same post. But, all on this board are now dumber for having read that point...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it's completely wrong to make a comparison to marriage. Fans may think of their relationship to their school being like a marriage, but I would venture that very few coaches share that sentiment, as well as more and more players. It's a business relationship. I can love my job. I can work my ass off and be loyal to my company, but it's a business relationship at the end of the day, and if either party feels that it's more than that, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.
Great, find another analogy. If you take a position at a firm and right after you sign an employment contract with them another firm poaches you the new firm shouldn't be surprised if you bail and leave them in a lurch right after investing a bunch of money training you and you take several employees with you out the door.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Fair enough, I won't use it. I always thought it came from the weird practice of throwing tortillas at sporting events. But if you know of a more sinister origin of the term I would be glad to hear it. If the tortilla throwing is the only connection I think they have earned the moniker.

They aren’t the only school to throw tortillas but whatever.

They throw them at Caltech the night before the Rose Bowl Parade at the cars going by. UC Santa Barbara and the Arizona schools and Baylor too I think.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I think it's completely wrong to make a comparison to marriage. Fans may think of their relationship to their school being like a marriage, but I would venture that very few coaches share that sentiment, as well as more and more players. It's a business relationship. I can love my job. I can work my ass off and be loyal to my company, but it's a business relationship at the end of the day, and if either party feels that it's more than that, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

Except maybe somebody who goes to coach at their alma mater...like Beard...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They aren’t the only school to throw tortillas but whatever.

They throw them at Caltech the night before the Rose Bowl Parade at the cars going by. UC Santa Barbara and the Arizona schools and Baylor too I think.
Well they are the only school I had ever heard of doing it. What do you think it means?

I just looked up Baylor and tortilla tossing and it appears it is just in the river - not nearly the same thing.

I looked up Arizona State and they started it as an answer to Orlando Pace's pancake blocks so they called their guy's tortilla blocks and threw tortillas because of it.

So now I know that they are doing it at other places. It still doesn't appear to be the same scale as Tech. At Arizona State at its height they said something like 30 students might have been doing it.

I'm done derailing this thread about this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Great, find another analogy. If you take a position at a firm and right after you sign an employment contract with them another firm poaches you the new firm shouldn't be surprised if you bail and leave them in a lurch right after investing a bunch of money training you and you take several employees with you out the door.
And that happens in business. Job hoppers are a thing. I work in IT, and if you get someone to stick around for 2 years, you're doing well. That's something you take into account when you hire someone. If you assume someone will stay because of loyalty, you're going to be disappointed more often then you won't

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Beard took the Kentucky job and these kids were following him there, no one would care. The in state/conference rival makes it kind of sleezy but it is what it its.

I'd get used to this if I were a college sports fan. I think what kids you bring will be just as relevant as what you've done as a coach in the near future when it comes to coaching moves. Things are only going to get more laxed.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Now, the SCOTUS is about to rule on player payments. It's really going to get oily. "Hey Breece, come on down to Austin. We've got $250,000 for y'all to play in burnt orange."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And that happens in business. Job hoppers are a thing. I work in IT, and if you get someone to stick around for 2 years, you're doing well. That's something you take into account when you hire someone. If you assume someone will stay because of loyalty, you're going to be disappointed more often then you won't
I agree with this 100%. But the point is, if you hire a job hopper, don't be surprised if they hop from you. If someone hops more than the norm they will probably hop from you.

Beard is a job hopper so Tech shouldn't be surprised or play the victim card in all of this.

Reactions: surly

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with this 100%. But the point is, if you hire a job hopper, don't be surprised if they hop from you. If someone hops more than the norm they will probably hop from you.

Beard is a job hopper so Tech shouldn't be surprised or play the victim card in all of this.
Totally agree. They knew who he was when they hired him.
Sorry, maybe I was misunderstanding what you were trying to say.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah totally disagree with the OP/thread title. Screw them, and everyone else in the Big 12 not named Iowa State.

• Friendly
Reactions: surly

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yes, if he had an ounce of ethics, which he obviously doesn't, he'd say: Look you made a commitment to play at Tech. If you want to transfer that's fine, but not to Texas. That would be wrong for you, me and both schools. That's what Huggs did when he left for WVU. Beard is an unethical scumbag for destroying Tech's program. Just another reason to loathe Texas.

Ethics and college sports? That's hilarious.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
When Huggs left K-State for home, WVU, he didn't take Beasley, Walker, Pullen and the rest. In fact, his message was just the opposite. What I see happening now is complete scumbaggery by Beard. He didn't learn that from Bob Knight.
Beasley and Walker went to the NBA after Huggins left so it's a little cheesy to give him credit for not poaching them. Pullen would have had to sit out a year so I doubt he was interested in moving across the US to sit out a season.

What's Beard supposed to do, say "no" to the players that came to Texas Tech to play for him? If the players want to follow him, that's their choice and should be their right. Who cares if a bunch of angry fans get angry about it?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Oh good, more Surly posts about what scumbags certain coaches are for not following Surly's random ethics requirements for running a college basketball program. Beard has done nothing unethical and is free to accept commitments from players who want to play for him.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny

Geez Velo, you know that Tech and AT&T/DirecTV have a partnership and you use that term? Can you stop labeling things please...

;)

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Oh good, more Surly posts about what scumbags certain coaches are for not following Surly's random ethics requirements for running a college basketball program. Beard has done nothing unethical and is free to accept commitments from players who want to play for him.
Yay, a KU fan that thinks they know ethics when it comes to College BB.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Beasley and Walker went to the NBA after Huggins left so it's a little cheesy to give him credit for not poaching them. Pullen would have had to sit out a year so I doubt he was interested in moving across the US to sit out a season.

What's Beard supposed to do, say "no" to the players that came to Texas Tech to play for him? If the players want to follow him, that's their choice and should be their right. Who cares if a bunch of angry fans get angry about it?
Beasley and Walker played for Frank Martin. Beasley was B12 POY. Pullen was an incoming freshman. Your ignorance is noteworthy though.