Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I know my original thought was a little out there but I am a firm believer that the Big 12 can get in the neighborhood of the Big 2 but only if it is creative.

I think Yormark is on the mark with making entertainment a focus, leveraging basketball strength and expanding the fan base.

My theory on the money is predicated that he continues to expand and there might be different payouts based upon football vs. basketball or other income streams.

Specifically to the delta on the two divisions, if the second division at least equals the ACC then that still makes the entire league a destination of choice but with the CHANCE to make more money by getting into the premier division it allows for team at the top of our conference to remain competitive with the sec and big.
It is really creative and a fun thought experiment but I don’t see schools not being able to build out their budgets years in advance being approved.

Reactions: MugNight

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
It is really creative and a fun thought experiment but I don’t see schools not being able to build out their budgets years in advance being approved.
Budget for the second tier (particularly if the delta between the two is not huge).

When you are in the top treat is like us mere mortals would treat a bonus - some of us save for a rainy day - others buy a new car. My guess is Iowa State puts some money in the bank, forgoes trying to finance the Porche but finds a way to always have a newer sports sedan in the garage.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
There’s a reason the MLS hasn’t moved to Promotion and Relegation. It’s all about $$$$.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

So make the money equal. The benefits are in scheduling. You can maximize competitive games and reduce the snoozers between the top and bottom of the league. In the end, our TV partners would likely give more if they were assured that they weren't getting week after week of #1 vs #20.

Reactions: Cydwinder

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Utah can pound sand. I would rather take WSU or OSU(Oregon St). They have been puffing their chest in rhythm with their hack commissioner.
Utah provide value, you cannot go by some tool fans on a message board.

No way Fox/ESPN do the escalator with OSU or WSU, if that were the case Yormark would go after these to smaller gazelle first.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Utah provide value, you cannot go by some tool fans on a message board.

No way Fox/ESPN do the escalator with OSU or WSU, if that were the case Yormark would go after these to smaller gazelle first.
It’s not just the fans it was the university president.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
a topic we were discussing .... the increase in rev for USC and UCLA should benefit USC more as they are much smaller, and of course private.

interestingly USC has more grad/professional enrollment numbers than their undergrad enrollment numbers.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Considering UCF, Houston, and Cincy have been arguably more successful than most of the Pac 12 schools - without the benefits of being in major conferences - I wouldn't change it. Houston has probably the most untapped potential of any school in the country, while UCF and Cincy have been competitive despite being in lesser conferences. While they'll take a while to adjust, they too have a decent ceiling with growing fanbases compared to the shrinking ones out West. Culturally and regionally, Houston and Cincy fit in perfectly. UCF is a bit of a stretch but they have the Florida connection.
The question is can any of these schools maintain that success while playing better quality teams week in and week out in the B12 than what they were seeing the AAC?
It took both Baylor and TCU 3-5 seasons before they could bring their entire roster up to a level that they could compete each week, the new schools will be the same.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
a topic we were discussing .... the increase in rev for USC and UCLA should benefit USC more as they are much smaller, and of course private.

interestingly USC has more grad/professional enrollment numbers than their undergrad enrollment numbers.

Notice that Michigan State is going into the wrong direction. Wonder what’s wrong with the Spartans, or is their drop just a blip?

Reactions: ESciGuy

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Notice that Michigan State is going into the wrong direction. Wonder what’s wrong with the Spartans, or is their drop just a blip?
It’s a state of Michigan thing. Michigan is fine because the school pulls from a much broader population. Outside of UofM enrollment is down 15% across colleges in the state. MSU isn’t down that bad it’s like .1 or .2% but the handling of the pandemic was beyond awful so not seeing growth. Michigan also is having some major population issues in general that will be interesting to see play out.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
It’s a state of Michigan thing. Michigan is fine because the school pulls from a much broader population. Outside of UofM enrollment is down 15% across colleges in the state. MSU isn’t down that bad it’s like .1 or .2% but the handling of the pandemic was beyond awful so not seeing growth. Michigan also is having some major population issues in general that will be interesting to see play out.
Thanks for info. How did the mishandle the pandemic?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021

It will benefit them more until they fire Lincoln Riley and have to fork over a $100 million buyout.

Help Support Us

Become a patron