Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Adding UConn + CU, AU, and ASU would make pods much simpler for a 16 team B12 than Utah. With Utah one of ISU or Houston would have had to be in a pod with WVU, Cincy, and UCF.

With UConn:
West: AU, ASU, CU, BYU
North: ISU, KU, KSU, OSU
South: TTU, Baylor, TCU, Houston
East: UConn, WVU, Cincy, UCF
No pods.

What you do is this in football.

Each year, 4 teams are 'captains' and draft their divisions. This would be televised, maybe in conjunction with the Big 12 pro day.

Then, you draft the other 5 games of your schedule, for 8 total conference games. Again, televised.

On the last week of the regular season, the 4 division winners play a semi-final game and the other 12 teams matchup to play one last conference game. Those semi-final games would be another value proposition for TV.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
P
If the media partners are ok with it, I’m OK with it. Any school can have potential if they have money and can hire the right coach. But if ESPN and Fox are willing to pay for them and it helps other Big12 schools win games, that’s not bad either. Someone has to lose games. Big12 has been the best conference upper middle to bottom(minus Kansas) for awhile now.

The B12 has gotten Jack squat credit the years the computers grade it out as top fb conference.

Even in hoops it took being #1 for a decade straight for a few in the media to begrudgingly admit it.

I have no problem with a slightly weaker schedule.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
No pods.

What you do is this in football.

Each year, 4 teams are 'captains' and draft their divisions. This would be televised, maybe in conjunction with the Big 12 pro day.

Then, you draft the other 5 games of your schedule, for 8 total conference games. Again, televised.

On the last week of the regular season, the 4 division winners play a semi-final game and the other 12 teams matchup to play one last conference game. Those semi-final games would be another value proposition for TV.
Thats insane and they will never do it.

But i kinda would love to see it, would be just pure madness.

• Winner
Reactions: tzjung

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
UConn will ALWAYS be there. Some of you need to chillax. There's no reason to jump for them.

So will ASU, AZ, Utah etc

If the networks are willing to pay for UConn, it’s an easy call. Same mediocre football viewership as most of the PAC targets, but national titles in the other revenue sport…the sport that primarily justifies the Big 12’s inclusion in the top level.

A top 40 P2 doesn’t need the Big 12 in football, but if the Big 12 is 20 to 24 schools of the best basketball brands outside the P2, we’ll be kept around and paid as the “other” power conference

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

If the networks are willing to pay for UConn, it’s an easy call. Same mediocre football viewership as most of the PAC targets, but national titles in the other revenue sport…the sport that primarily justifies the Big 12’s inclusion in the top level.

A top 40 P2 doesn’t need the Big 12 in football, but if the Big 12 is 20 to 24 schools of the best basketball brands outside the P2, we’ll be kept around and paid as the “other” power conference

If we add UConn and AZ basketball should be called P1.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would rather have 4 corners, or Oregon and Washington with HUGE penalties for leaving, or see what happens with ACC wreckage in a decade.
I am of the belief that the Big12 can go big on both coasts. If the Big10 & SEC speculation is 20-24 schools in each conference. The Big12 should be able to get to 24 schools in the next decade. Our media rights hurdle ($32M) is half the Big10/SEC.

With UConn, they aren't a football play for the networks, they are a MBB & WBB play. Think KU, Kentucky, UNC.

If Yormark wants to negotiate separate football & basketball media deals, UConn basketball is a BLUE BLOOD brand. Adding UConn in mid-2020's creates a track record and proof of concept. Earlier this week Sankey said something like "Money follows results".

Also it sounds like WBB wants their NCAA Championship deal negotiated separate from the men. After the women's tournament this spring, the timing might be good.

Then in the early 2030's the MBB Tournament could go out to open bid after CBS controlling for 30 years.

IMO bigger will be better once DTC subscription takes off. So might as well add schools when they are media rights free agents.

Reactions: WhoISthis

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

A top 40 schools made up of the SEC and B10 would only be 20 games a week, spread over CBS, ESPN and their channels, FOX and its channels, ABC, and NBC, plus the Big 10 and SEC networks. When they are only broadcasting 20 games to choose from, the picking would get slim pretty quickly. There is always going to be a need for a 3rd major conference in football, unless they plan on broadcasting MWC, AAC and Mid-American conference games on Saturday.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I can't imagine Uconn football gets as many eyeballs as PAC football. That would be interesting to find out.
UConn-SDSU title game was the lowest watched title game in history.
UConn obviously is in blue blood territory now basketball wise but football still is the big contract earner for these TV deals.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I can't imagine Uconn football gets as many eyeballs as PAC football. That would be interesting to find out.
UConn-SDSU title game was the lowest watched title game in history.
UConn obviously is in blue blood territory now basketball wise but football still is the big contract earner for these TV deals.
True, but I think I have seen that industry people think the football/basketball media value overall is 80/20 or 75/25. Based on that, I think you could say a basketball blue blood, even with little to no football value might be a break even add right off the bat.

If the ADs and BY think that the football/basketball gap in value will shrink, then it may make sense. Plus if a school like UConn gets a reduced cut for a while that’s a little more cash for current members.

That same reasoning may put Arizona over ASU and other PAC targets. I don’t know if it is the case, but it’s conceivable that a bball blue blood program makes sense money-wise.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
True, but I think I have seen that industry people think the football/basketball media value overall is 80/20 or 75/25. Based on that, I think you could say a basketball blue blood, even with little to no football value might be a break even add right off the bat.

If the ADs and BY think that the football/basketball gap in value will shrink, then it may make sense. Plus if a school like UConn gets a reduced cut for a while that’s a little more cash for current members.

That same reasoning may put Arizona over ASU and other PAC targets. I don’t know if it is the case, but it’s conceivable that a bball blue blood program makes sense money-wise.
Fair points

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A top 40 schools made up of the SEC and B10 would only be 20 games a week, spread over CBS, ESPN and their channels, FOX and its channels, ABC, and NBC, plus the Big 10 and SEC networks. When they are only broadcasting 20 games to choose from, the picking would get slim pretty quickly. There is always going to be a need for a 3rd major conference in football, unless they plan on broadcasting MWC, AAC and Mid-American conference games on Saturday.
More like a want. The need comes from the basketball side

Look at the disinterest most of those networks have in putting a PAC game on against P2.

There are 3 prime windows on Saturday. From a P2 perspective, not many total games are needed when you consider avoiding cannibalization. At 20 games they can go 6 deep most weeks in those windows, which is more than desired. If those schools could separate and create rules only they benefit from, they eventually would imo. But they’d need to solve the basketball issue, which needs the 20 or 24 school Big 12

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
If you put the B12 and BE together, you gather a lot of brands under one negotiation umbrella. You would have maybe half the top 20? With the others split around the ACC and B1G. Also Kentucky. It would give you leverage to get a better payout, and you could also own the "challenge" type marquee matchups and pre-season tournaments. Imagine putting Kansas, Arizona, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Nova, UConn, Baylor, all in a 4 day 3 game tournament up for bid. And being able to market those matchups thru the season.

And going another step to the future - it might be a magnet for ACC basketball schools once available. You won't outbid the B1G for UNC or SEC for Florida St, but MAYBE it helps nudge a Duke, or Pitt, or NC State your way.
I like this idea a lot. Collective bargain the media rights with the Big East. It keeps the conferences separated but by joining forces, payout should be more per school The pundits in college football have said if the conferences collectively bargain, it would be more lucrative than going at it separately. Maybe this applies for the non Big 10 or SEC.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Not many state flagship colleges out there for college realignment. UConn is far away the best. Not totally thrilled about it but if it gets us to pluck a Pac school, I can come around to it.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

Just spit-balling here. I started to re-think things by evaluating my own viewing habits. Pretty much, I watch every ISU FB game and BB game. I bleed over to watching a few other B12 games and very few other conference games. So, I'm spending more hours watching BB than FB.
BY sees NCAA BB as undervalued (358 NCAA teams * 2.16 avg hrs per game = 773 hours total available hours of in-game media coverage) against FB (133 * 3.5 avg hrs per game = 465). That is quite a disparity of which marketing can exploit. Other things to consider: NCAA FB adjusting rules to shorten games, growing health image of FB, seasonal weather offering less competition to watch BB than FB, larger post season tourney for BB.
Bottom line: I think BY is ahead of the game here in believing CBB will be upping its media value at a 'rate' faster than FB ups it. Oh sure, it won't likely ever catch FB, but it has the room to grow ... a lot. I think the long play is not bad at all by BY.

• Sad
Reactions: NWICY

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Does anyone have some other Fan forums to read?

I've been reading Colorado (https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/pa...la-everybody-talking-out-of-their-ass.151049/) .... its interesting to see how their views on realignment have changed.... mostly ok with joining the big12 after seeing the writing on the wall... but there are still lot of talk of academic prestige and cultural fit (like any of that matters anymore)..

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Big 12 should either be very selective and get more well rounded schools or go all out and basically become NCAA for the rest of the teams left out of the SEC and Big Ten. Like a 60 team conference.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I like this idea a lot. Collective bargain the media rights with the Big East. It keeps the conferences separated but by joining forces, payout should be more per school The pundits in college football have said if the conferences collectively bargain, it would be more lucrative than going at it separately. Maybe this applies for the non Big 10 or SEC.
By keeping conferences separate, you also dont have the issue with ridiculous travel for all the nonrev sports too. But you can still collective bargain the bball.

Yormark being an east coast guy, likely gets this and has contacts out there

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
More like a want. The need comes from the basketball side

Look at the disinterest most of those networks have in putting a PAC game on against P2.

There are 3 prime windows on Saturday. From a P2 perspective, not many total games are needed when you consider avoiding cannibalization. At 20 games they can go 6 deep most weeks in those windows, which is more than desired. If those schools could separate and create rules only they benefit from, they eventually would imo. But they’d need to solve the basketball issue, which needs the 20 or 24 school Big 12
But the P2 perspective is not the same as the TV networks perspective which has given these conferences 100's of million and set up BTN and SECN to broadcast games. There is always going to be a need for a 3rd conference to ensure that there are enough games to choose from in a given week, then throw in Thursday, Friday night games and that adds even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloneon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron