Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Yeah, that’s their position now. As long as they PAC doesn’t have a deal on the table and they still have time to bail, it’s all theoretical. It won’t continue to be for long.

I don’t think they’d really go down with the ship, unless they’re completely batshit and think the B10 is going to come bail them out.
It’ll be great when ASU and Utah join the Big12 at a reduced rate for 7 years because they held out but Colorado and Arizona come in as full members.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
It’ll be great when ASU and Utah join the Big12 at a reduced rate for 7 years because they held out but Colorado and Arizona come in as full members.
When push comes to shove and they have to sign a GOR knowing that’ll make them $xxM less over the next 5-7 years or jump to the B12, I think they jump.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, that’s their position now. As long as they PAC doesn’t have a deal on the table and they still have time to bail, it’s all theoretical. It won’t continue to be for long.

I don’t think they’d really go down with the ship, unless they’re completely batshit and think the B10 is going to come bail them out.
I think ASU figures they are a take for the B12 no matter when. So no need to rush, we will take them 5 years from now or whenever.

Its arrogant, but they are probably not wrong. And as far as a reduced share they likely figure they are pretty enough it wont be that extreme, they wont get as squashed as say UCF joining up.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think ASU figures they are a take for the B12 no matter when. So no need to rush, we will take them 5 years from now or whenever.

Its arrogant, but they are probably not wrong.
Probably, but what’s the upside of waiting until 2029 or later? It’s not like the PAC has a viable path back to the #3 spot.

That said, I totally get waiting until X date when they either need to make the move for 2024 or take the next PAC deal.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I tend to think that most of the P12 schools other than Oregon and Washington want to stay together in the P12, if the money is even close to what the B12 is offering. The problem is the money is not going to be close, and schools like Colorado and Arizona know that and are looking to leave the ship before it sinks, and it becomes a free for all, much like Mizzu did when it left the conference.

If the P12 had a better deal or even close, it would have announced it by now, the news today of the B12 giving schools 44 million is just another indication that this is not going to end well for the P12.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can’t really think of anything he’s been wrong about. He hasn’t really broke any news, he just reports it and gives some in-site like Chris or any other 247 insider. He thinks Arizona could be Big12 bound, and they could be. Everyone knows PAC schools are waiting for an offer worth staying. Deadline is rapidly approaching.

OuuT to the SEC was in the works for several months before the rumor popped. Same with USC/UCLA. PAC schools to the Big12 has just had more eyes on it because it’s so expected and obviously the PAC has struggled to land a deal. They went to the table before the Big12 who got a deal a long time ago.

He’s also said Canzano is a dumb **** that just talks to WSU and Or. St. higher ups for his information which is true.

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
Just throwing out a question here. What if the PAC12 ultimately stays together, what is the perception of the BIG12 at that point after all these rumors of all these PAC12 teams talking to the BIG12? Does the BIG12 take a hit if no PAC12 schools make the transition?

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just throwing out a question here. What if the PAC12 ultimately stays together, what is the perception of the BIG12 at that point after all these rumors of all these PAC12 teams talking to the BIG12? Does the BIG12 take a hit if no PAC12 schools make the transition?
Then is starts to hinge on Oregon and Washington. If they realize they have easier access to the newly expanded playoff and it’s better to stay in the PAC moving forward then so be it. But if they still value a truck load of money, they are gone after this new PAC deal anyway to the BIG most likely. So we just get PAC schools then.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Who cares about the perception of the league? Did the B10 or SEC worry about how others would think about them when they were raiding the B12? No, every league is out for themselves, and only 3 or 4 are going to survive all of this mess at the P5 level.

Washington and Oregon have to realize that they are not getting into the B10 this go around, and are willing to sign a short term GOR of 5 years or so. Using that time to position themselves with playoff bids and strengthen their bid to the B10, they always have the B12 as a fallback position, so neither school is going to jump into the B12 and sign over their GOR rights away for the next 98 years.

The rest of the P12 schools unless they are crazy like Utah has to see the signs and would be better off jumping now. Once the ACC contract is up in 2036 then many of these teams are going to be begging to get into the B12, and by then the B12 will have other options from the ACC schools.

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Who cares about the perception of the league? Did the B10 or SEC worry about how others would think about them when they were raiding the B12? No, every league is out for themselves, and only 3 or 4 are going to survive all of this mess at the P5 level.

Washington and Oregon have to realize that they are not getting into the B10 this go around, and are willing to sign a short term GOR of 5 years or so. Using that time to position themselves with playoff bids and strengthen their bid to the B10, they always have the B12 as a fallback position, so neither school is going to jump into the B12 and sign over their GOR rights away for the next 98 years.

The rest of the P12 schools unless they are crazy like Utah has to see the signs and would be better off jumping now. Once the ACC contract is up in 2036 then many of these teams are going to be begging to get into the B12, and by then the B12 will have other options from the ACC schools.
I think he means how we'll have some egg on our faces if all this saber rattling leads to nothing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It means PAC teams are willing to take less money instead of going to the B12.
I don't think that's a great perceptiom for future negotiations from those PAC schools.

Reactions: Acylum

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Honestly, I dont think Oregon and Washington are the same caliber of Texas and OU. Not sure why they think they should be in the B1G or SEC.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Colorado gonna join Big 12. PAC 12 was a bad move. For them it is just coming back home. Arizona likely to join as well. Basketball is what will drive them. And the money. Yormack is positioning the Big 12 to be the long term elite basketball conference with the addition of Gonzaga and UConn. Good move.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think he means how we'll have some egg on our faces if all this saber rattling leads to nothing.
Not anymore than the 7 ACC schools looking to break the GOR and leave the league. The first couple of expansion go arounds, the B12 deferred and were picked over, look what that got us, we lost Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, aTm and then OU and UT. It's better to be aggressive, showing schools that we intend to be here once it all over.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The B1G has OU and UW by the balls. They can literally offer them a dramatically reduced share.
The fact that the Big 10 would low ball Oregon and Washington just shows that they are not a high desirable pair of schools to add.