Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I am already getting sick of the twitter douches from the SEC and BigTen talking about the playoffs and how the Big12 is the new G5 and should only get one bid, be 13-0, etc. how no SEC and BIG team should play anyone tough for their non conference games because their conferences are so hard, etc.

It's going to be interesting in 10 years when all these "elite teams" are not winning championships as they used to, and people start getting cranky because they all sold their sole for this God-Forsaken conference realignment garbage.

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
I think this article on SEC football coaches wanting to keep walk ons is hypocrisy at the highest level. You can't have it both ways. You can't be hoarding all the money and consorting with the media in creating a super league of exclusion and also trying to keep the appearance of college football "..and what it stands for." Just more arrogance. Nothing your league and ESPN/Fox has done is in the best interest of 'what college football stands for'.

Reactions: legi

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
I think this article on SEC football coaches wanting to keep walk ons is hypocrisy at the highest level. You can't have it both ways. You can't be hoarding all the money and consorting with the media in creating a super league of exclusion and also trying to keep the appearance of college football "..and what it stands for." Just more arrogance. Nothing your league and ESPN/Fox has done is in the best interest of 'what college football stands for'.

Exactly. And what does/will walk on really mean any more when all players are getting paid a base wage and can have NIL $. If anything this leaves the door open for these coaches/leagues to find another loophole with something regarding the walk-on status.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Exactly. And what does/will walk on really mean any more when all players are getting paid a base wage and can have NIL $. If anything this leaves the door open for these coaches/leagues to find another loophole with something regarding the walk-on status.
If we are now allowing kids that were on scholarship to come in and use NIL money in place of a scholarship than we need player cap limits. Say, 85 on scholarship with 5 more walking on. That gives you 90 players, we do not need to hear about the health of the kids, if the NFL can only dress 48 players per game and they are doing fine, college should be able to get the job done with 90.

Reactions: legi

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
So sick of Utah already. They haven't even started in the conference and I've already had enough of them and their fans.
They’re the new Texas. Except now we can tell the new Texas to sit down and shut the **** up because nobody cares, rather than bending over backwards to appease them.

Reactions: HouClone and NWICY

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I would think that a lot of the "middle tier" ACC teams are currently making alternative plans.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I know this is wishful thinking, but I am fine with it only being three conferences (SEC, BIG and Big 12) as long as everyone who was in the P5 is in one of the three. I hate how large these conferences are getting, but I can live with it, as long as nobody else gets Oregon State and Washington State treatment. So that means those two schools getting into the Big 12 at some point.

But it's all about the money, so whatever money tells each conference to do, that's what will happen. Not that I care about BC, Wake Forest or some of those, but I just try to put myself in the shoes of those fans. It's sports and entertainment in the end, so losing status to be in the big conferences would just suck. We have been there a couple of times with it almost happening.

Reactions: simply1

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
I know this is wishful thinking, but I am fine with it only being three conferences (SEC, BIG and Big 12) as long as everyone who was in the P5 is in one of the three. I hate how large these conferences are getting, but I can live with it, as long as nobody else gets Oregon State and Washington State treatment. So that means those two schools getting into the Big 12 at some point.

But it's all about the money, so whatever money tells each conference to do, that's what will happen. Not that I care about BC, Wake Forest or some of those, but I just try to put myself in the shoes of those fans. It's sports and entertainment in the end, so losing status to be in the big conferences would just suck. We have been there a couple of times with it almost happening.
I get where you're coming from, and it does suck when you get left out of the big kid's club. That said, you would do well to remember just how much empathy Oregon State, Washington State, Wake Forrest, and Boston College fans showed us any of the times the Big XII looked like it was going to die. They don't care about the state of Iowa on the coasts let alone and school there.

I hate it, and wish no one had to be left out, but the reality is the BIG and SEC have decided it's going to be all about them, and we get to live in that world. Money is undefeated throughout this process, and once the powers that be decide that will make them the most money those conferences will cut weight as well.

I want what's best for Iowa State, and if that means Washington State and Boston College get to be sacrificial lambs, so be it. We are not going to be a part of the super league, whatever that turns out to be. We need to accept that and try to position ourselves to be at the top of whatever comes next.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I get where you're coming from, and it does suck when you get left out of the big kid's club. That said, you would do well to remember just how much empathy Oregon State, Washington State, Wake Forrest, and Boston College fans showed us any of the times the Big XII looked like it was going to die. They don't care about the state of Iowa on the coasts let alone and school there.

I hate it, and wish no one had to be left out, but the reality is the BIG and SEC have decided it's going to be all about them, and we get to live in that world. Money is undefeated throughout this process, and once the powers that be decide that will make them the most money those conferences will cut weight as well.

I want what's best for Iowa State, and if that means Washington State and Boston College get to be sacrificial lambs, so be it. We are not going to be a part of the super league, whatever that turns out to be. We need to accept that and try to position ourselves to be at the top of whatever comes next.

Its why you don't piss on someone's grave... especially if they aren't dead. I hate what college athletics has become but as for Wazzu and Oregon State fans; I remember there words twice now.... "Have fun in the AAC/Mountain West."

Instead of working together the have nots in the Pac 12 big timed the hateful 8.

1717428414184.png

Reactions: DrShip

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Its why you don't piss on someone's grave... especially if they aren't dead. I hate what college athletics has become but as for Wazzu and Oregon State fans; I remember there words twice now.... "Have fun in the AAC/Mountain West."

Instead of working together the have nots in the Pac 12 big timed the hateful 8.

View attachment 129800
100% agree. Lets be clear here I'm not actively rooting for anyone to get the shaft, but if that's what needs to happen for Iowa State/the Big XII to do better I'm over it.

It's like when the Pac 12 fell apart and some of their fans questioned, "Why are you Big XII folks rooting for this? It just helps the P2." Yes, that's true. Would have been nice if you had seen it in 2010 when it started, or even 2021 when OuT left.

They whole things sucks, but you make the best of it. Before OuT, I thought we could get the 4 corner schools. The Pac has been a dumpster fire since it expanded, and you know USC would look out for #1 and be coveted by the BIG. The Big XII had been making more money/school, and been more relevant nationally. I honestly thought Oklahoma wouldn't leave since they've ran the conference on the field, and thought Texas would stay where the ran the conference offices. Self interest won, though.

Crazy to me to think if the Big XII had been on top of the conference TV network what would have happened. It was proposed to us first, we said no, and then the guy (I forget his name) took the idea to the BIG. And it was the same selfish, short sighted schools that shut it down.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
100% agree. Lets be clear here I'm not actively rooting for anyone to get the shaft, but if that's what needs to happen for Iowa State/the Big XII to do better I'm over it.

It's like when the Pac 12 fell apart and some of their fans questioned, "Why are you Big XII folks rooting for this? It just helps the P2." Yes, that's true. Would have been nice if you had seen it in 2010 when it started, or even 2021 when OuT left.

They whole things sucks, but you make the best of it. Before OuT, I thought we could get the 4 corner schools. The Pac has been a dumpster fire since it expanded, and you know USC would look out for #1 and be coveted by the BIG. The Big XII had been making more money/school, and been more relevant nationally. I honestly thought Oklahoma wouldn't leave since they've ran the conference on the field, and thought Texas would stay where the ran the conference offices. Self interest won, though.

Crazy to me to think if the Big XII had been on top of the conference TV network what would have happened. It was proposed to us first, we said no, and then the guy (I forget his name) took the idea to the BIG. And it was the same selfish, short sighted schools that shut it down.
And don't forget who vetoed the conference network idea: Texas, Nebraska, A&M, Oklahoma.

Not only did those schools leave, but they perpetually did the most they could to put the rest of the conference in the worst spot possible position before doing so.

• Winner
Reactions: ClubCy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
And don't forget who vetoed the conference network idea: Texas, Nebraska, A&M, Oklahoma.

Not only did those schools leave, but they perpetually did the most they could to put the rest of the conference in the worst spot possible position before doing so.
You wonder though... suppose they create the Big12 network for real back in the day, and it suddenly makes much more money for the conference. Do they then stay? Does the bigger money become a draw for LSU, Bama, and others?

Is there some alternate timeline where the Big12 is one of the P2, and the SEC is picked apart and pulling in Houston and UCF to survive? "The Man in the High Pressbox"?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

If the conference would have gone through with that and the original 12 stayed intact and some more added brands along the way have no doubt in my mind that we would be sitting where the SEC and Big 10 are right now. Either has a P3 on par with them or higher than 1 of them.

What a missed opportunity all due a handful of schools that could never be content.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
You wonder though... suppose they create the Big12 network for real back in the day, and it suddenly makes much more money for the conference. Do they then stay? Does the bigger money become a draw for LSU, Bama, and others?

Is there some alternate timeline where the Big12 is one of the P2, and the SEC is picked apart and pulling in Houston and UCF to survive? "The Man in the High Pressbox"?
You are thinking the same as I am. I think the SEC and Big 10 survive as they were. They have too many brands and eyeballs to fail. I do think there is a possibly we would have FSU and Clemson and Miami knocking on the door before they signed the 2000 year deal with ESPN as ACC school. The ACC is likely the conference backfilling with WVU, Houston, TCU, ect.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am already getting sick of the twitter douches from the SEC and BigTen talking about the playoffs and how the Big12 is the new G5 and should only get one bid, be 13-0, etc. how no SEC and BIG team should play anyone tough for their non conference games because their conferences are so hard, etc.

It's going to be interesting in 10 years when all these "elite teams" are not winning championships as they used to, and people start getting cranky because they all sold their sole for this God-Forsaken conference realignment garbage.

What has anybody outside the Big East and Big 12 done in basketball for a decade? If they want to play that way they should be two bid conferences in the big dance.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Objectively the four you mentioned and a few others don’t have anywhere near the fan support of ISU and KSU.

From the other direction Utah and BYU both bring more than teams that were historically in bigger conferences. Probably Cincy too.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

I don't think there was ever going to be enough money for Texas, Nebraska and A&M to get along. Those three (and to a lesser extent Oklahoma) always seemed more interested in either kneecapping everyone else or getting their own special deal than building up the Big 12. It was never about how much money or special treatment they were getting, it had to be more money and more special treatment then everyone else. Nebraska never got over losing partial qualifiers and spent the next 14 years trying to get back at Texas for that one.

If the conference would have gone through with that and the original 12 stayed intact and some more added brands along the way have no doubt in my mind that we would be sitting where the SEC and Big 10 are right now. Either has a P3 on par with them or higher than 1 of them.

What a missed opportunity all due a handful of schools that could never be content.
If those four schools could have been content with being in one of, if not the, top conference, then yes, the Big 12 could've been right there. Nebraska's been checked pretty hard by the last 15 years. A&M hasn't done **** in the SEC and still can be somewhat of a malcontent (ie, leaking OUT well ahead of when the SEC planned to announce it). I've no doubt Texas will be whining before too long. Oklahoma probably won't maintain their recent level of success in the SEC, it will be interesting to see how they handle that.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
You are thinking the same as I am. I think the SEC and Big 10 survive as they were. They have too many brands and eyeballs to fail. I do think there is a possibly we would have FSU and Clemson and Miami knocking on the door before they signed the 2000 year deal with ESPN as ACC school. The ACC is likely the conference backfilling with WVU, Houston, TCU, ect.
Keep in mind, prior to 2005-06, the SEC was not perceptually considered the powerhouse it is today. The BCS passed up LSU for OU vs USC in 2003.

There are 4 interrelated things that propelled the SEC to where it is in today’s perceptual map.
  1. Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer, and Florida gain a ton of exposure due to their personas and success. They win the 2006 title
  2. Alabama hired Nick Saban in 2007
  3. ESPN (likely due to the first two factors) signs (at the time) and unprecedented contract with the SEC for 15-years (unheard of at the time) for $2 billion (by far the highest total at that point in time)
  4. The SEC parlays Florida, Saban, and the ESPN contract to the next 7 national championships and 13 of the next 18
From there, eyes start wandering

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron