RB Eli Sanders, how good can he be?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Can we start getting excited about Eli? How good do you think he will be? Will he see the field this season as a Freshman? Will he be the starting RB next year and who will be his main competition after Breece leaves?
Chandler's Eli Sanders Goes In-Depth on Iowa State Commitment - Bing video
Eli Sanders, 2021 Running Back - Rivals.com

I think Sanders will give Brock a run for his money, but Brock will probably start. It might be similar to when Hall was a freshman when Johnnie Lang and/or Nwangwu and even Sheldon Croney played or started before Hall for the first few games, but then Hall took over as starter about 4 games in. I fully expect Sanders to be starting by the end of the season. Sanders has run a 10.7 100 meters, so maybe it will be a bit of a thunder and lightning situation between he and Brock. If I had to chose between a speed back and a power back, everything else being equal, I'd go with speed every time.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I have probably been in one of the head cars on the Eli Sanders hype train. I honestly think he has a 50/50 chance to be our starter in 22. His acceleration is truly special. Has the HR potential that Kene did with some more natural RB skills than Kene ever developed. For him to be successful early though he will require more holes from the line than David and Breece have because he hasn’t show that much tackle breaking yet, but I think we have recruited well enough up front that I can see it happening.

Reactions: ThePUNisher96

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think Sanders will give Brock a run for his money, but Brock will probably start. It might be similar to when Hall was a freshman when Johnnie Lang and/or Nwangwu and even Sheldon Croney played or started before Hall for the first few games, but then Hall took over as starter about 4 games in. I fully expect Sanders to be starting by the end of the season. Sanders has run a 10.7 100 meters, so maybe it will be a bit of a thunder and lightning situation between he and Brock. If I had to chose between a speed back and a power back, everything else being equal, I'd go with speed every time.
Of course. I'm half brain dead. I certainly didn't mean to forget J. Brock!! Yes and I agree Jirehl and Eli will play alot, Jirehl likely being the starter.

If Eli is the starter somtime next year, that would mean he might be another special back. I'm excited to see Jirehl and what he can do. Both have the potential to be very good.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Check this out, Dae Dae Hunter (Hawaii commit) and Eli Sanders. Thunder and Lightning (although Hunter is smaller than Sanders (?) and looks pretty fast also).
Two-headed Chandler monster of Dae Dae Hunter and Eli Sanders runs rampant vs. Perry - Bing video

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
From the little I have heard he is the 2nd best freshman rb ob the team right now.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have learned that your play earns you playing time. Matt Campbell will play whomever according to merit and situation. I expect Breece Hall to be primary. Jirehl Brock backup. Those behind will get some touches accordingly. Play well and make plays gets more playing time. Past performance may not guarantee future playing time if you do not practice hard or do well. Player needs to perform so that Campbell plays them. It is the Culture. Every player needs to be ready. For when they are called upon.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I see Eli Sanders as more of a do-it-all type player. Some RB, some slot WR. Not a primary back.

The primary back from that class will be Deon Silas.

But they'll both be behind Jirehl Brock for a couple years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron