Rankings and Stars

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Eric Bossi has been putting out some good information today on the importance or rankings. Obviously getting drafted does not determine whether or not you were a good college player (Ejim, Diallo, etc) but it is pretty good information showing that stars and rankings do matter in college basketball recruiting.

https://basketballrecruiting.n.riva...numbers-recruiting-rankings-and-the-nba-draft

Eric Bossi@ebosshoops 36m36 minutes ago
Historically speaking, players ranked outside the Rivals150 have about a 1.5% chance of being taken in the #NBADraft

Eric Bossi@ebosshoops 32m32 minutes ago
If you had a http://Rivals.com profile but were not rated between 2003-2014, your chances of being drafted roughly 0.22% #NBADraft

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Eric Bossi has been putting out some good information today on the importance or rankings. Obviously getting drafted does not determine whether or not you were a good college player (Ejim, Diallo, etc) but it is pretty good information showing that stars and rankings do matter in college basketball recruiting.

https://basketballrecruiting.n.riva...numbers-recruiting-rankings-and-the-nba-draft

Historically speaking, players ranked outside the Rivals150 have about a 1.5% chance of being taken in the #NBADraft

If you had a http://Rivals.com profile but were not rated between 2003-2014, your chances of being drafted roughly 0.22% #NBADraft

They definitely matter for pro potential. I'm wondering how they matter for team success?

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
attachment.php

Last edited:

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I'd be more curious about how stars correlate with collegiate success, though there are a lot of other factors such as school, competition, teammates, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I'd be more curious about how stars correlate with collegiate success, though there are a lot of other factors such as school, competition, teammates, etc.

usually the teams that win championships have multiple draft picks on them. One of the exceptions is this year where Villanova may not have any of their players drafted. Hart probably has the best chance next year as a second rounder.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014

Good thing Steph Curry & Golden State didn't know about this - Curry ranked #245 player & #51 at his position in high school by 247 Sports Composite before going to power house Davidson.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Interesting data, but to some degree the guys assigning stars and NBA scouts seem to be focused on the same thing, athleticism. Is the player quick and can he jump out of the gym? Potential and upside can sometimes supercede results.

Diello and the Kentucky kid (Skai?) are drafted in the first round. But their college play was almost non-existent. Conversely, kids like Perry Ellis, Brice Johnson, Ulyas(? KY) and Georges are highly productive college players, but almost have to beg to get drafted.

Last edited:

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I didn't realize Spellman took an academic red shirt year last year. Essentially a similar situation to Lard it appears. This being his second year in the system had to have helped. Over 43% from three for a 6'9" 245 lb guy is crazy.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Look at all of the 4 and 5 stars that go to Kentucky. Long and athletic but their games have tons of flaws and most of them can't shoot. The recruiting services are evaluating these guys just like the NBA scouts and its all about potential, potential, and potential. I don't like how the NBA has snubbed the 4 year players though. I feel like a lot of really good players are falling through the cracks just to give some young uber athletic kid a shot.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah I'd be really curious to see the odds of becoming an all-conference player based on that. I bet it's still a lot higher. I think more goes into being an NBA draft pick than just college production obviously.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Johnny always said he looked for athletes first. Said you can turn an athlete into a basketball player but not a basketball player into an athlete.

Reactions: baagoe

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Look at all of the 4 and 5 stars that go to Kentucky. Long and athletic but their games have tons of flaws and most of them can't shoot. The recruiting services are evaluating these guys just like the NBA scouts and its all about potential, potential, and potential. I don't like how the NBA has snubbed the 4 year players though. I feel like a lot of really good players are falling through the cracks just to give some young uber athletic kid a shot.
Yup, give me Jalen Burson or Mikal Bridges for 3-4 years instead of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for a year

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Villanova has been getting tons of talent lately. I think this run is going to keep on keeping on.

I like how we're trending lately, hopefully we can get to 6-8, 4* on the roster each year.