Ranking the Big 12 QB's

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Brock can come back for 2 more seasons. Totally obliterate the record books.

I don't see him as an elite level NFL prospect ever. He may eventually earn a 1st round grade, but he'd be 3rd or so best QB in any class best case scenario.

WTS, I still love the guy as our QB

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think not having Tarique has pretty big hindrance to the offense. They are missing that experienced, veteran receiver and that deep play threat. None of the TEs have the speed to stretch the field, Akers is too inconsistent to be that guy, none of the underclassmen seem to be ready to jump into that role.

I would guess that missing spring ball and the weird fall camp made it hard for Brock to develop chemistry with the next guys up. From what I remember, the 1s and 2s are practicing separately, so that means guys like Jackson and Scates might not have gotten the number of reps with Brock that they would have under normal conditions.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
With this kind of write-up Brock's draft status is going south quickly. Still early, but the chances of him coming back for a senior season is not out of the question.
He'd be foolish not to come back next season. Learn from this season and grow on it. Let's just hope he puts up amazing numbers against KU. Just for confidence alone.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Absolutely. I just think there are bigger issues with our scheme and talent level at WR that are leading to Brock being "off" this year.
Yeah I frankly would pick Purdy above any other Big 12 QB. Our struggles are almost exclusively with receivers just not getting open and not having as good of pass protection this year. We also haven’t had to pass as much this year. The stat on long throws is dumb. When we’ve done those throws they been really long shots. We haven’t had those midrange throws that are easier. Also they are more on the if we hit them great if not we can just run it so there are less gamble throws IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'll still take my chances with Brock. Rattler has a lot of talent, but I think it might be shown that he has a 100 dollar arm and a 10 cent head.

I don't really see this at all. I'd say he's way ahead of a typical RFr playing that position in terms of decision-making.

Regardless of the reasons and validity, could you imagine at the end of the 2018 season saying in two years PFF would rate Purdy and Brewer ahead of only some guy from KU among Big 12 QBs?

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Our offense definitely needs more guys that can stretch the field. I'm surprised Tampa hasn't got some snaps at receiver.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
It's a fair assessment. Brock has not looked great making some bad decisions and uncatchable throws. Sure our WRs are not getting open, but he's having trouble hitting them when they are.

People saying they'd take Brock over Rattler are insane, no offense to Brock. Rattler almost won that game for OU despite the rest of their team.

Our coaches are also needing to make some kind of adjustments but it doesn't seem like they want to mid-game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This is a good example of why stats/numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Brock is struggling right now but a lot of it is due to the guys around him.

I'm very optimistic that this offense has its best days in front of it. We will improve as the season progresses. And with that, so will Brock's numbers

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Brock will be fine. If anything, this list is going to light a fire under his a**. I think he likes being doubted more than he likes being told he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Optimistic
Reactions: quasistellar

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah I frankly would pick Purdy above any other Big 12 QB. Our struggles are almost exclusively with receivers just not getting open and not having as good of pass protection this year. We also haven’t had to pass as much this year. The stat on long throws is dumb. When we’ve done those throws they been really long shots. We haven’t had those midrange throws that are easier. Also they are more on the if we hit them great if not we can just run it so there are less gamble throws IMO.
Our 2nd best wide receiver is Landon Akers, that's a problem. The only guys Purdy can rely on are Kolar, Hutchinson and maybe Allen. None of them are deep threats, so we have pretty much zero deep passing game without Milton. We desperately need Shaw, Scates, Wilson or Jackson to step up.

Our offensive talent is just really bizarre this year. It's the worst WR group we've had in a long time, but the best TE group in school history, and probably a top 2-3 QB in school history, if not #1. Thank god we have a really good running game this year or we'd be left trying to move the ball with only 3-8 yard passes to the tight ends and Hutchinson.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
A little bird told me that Charlie and Brock are both highly likely to come back. They also told me not to be surprised if others stay due to this year not counting towards eligibility.
Are we to trust humans that get Iowa State football information from birds?

I guess it is 2020...

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^
this is what i've seen since he started. I also get flamed everytime I intimate that he's not an NFL quarterback. I very well could be wrong and hope I am. He's a great guy, I believe a good leader...just hasn't seemed to progress and get a lot better despite getting the vast majority of the snaps.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
this is what i've seen since he started. I also get flamed everytime I intimate that he's not an NFL quarterback. I very well could be wrong and hope I am. He's a great guy, I believe a good leader...just hasn't seemed to progress and get a lot better despite getting the vast majority of the snaps.

We've moved on from the Start [insert name of backup QB] Era to the Our QB is a God Era. :rolleyes:

FTR I don't think he is greatest QB in the world and kind of mostly agree with you. I am in Minnesota so pretty safe. If you live in Iowa you might want to duck and cover. Something something torches something something pitchforks.

Reactions: Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
We've moved on from the Start [insert name of backup QB] Era to the Our QB is a God Era. :rolleyes:

FTR I don't think he is greatest QB in the world and kind of mostly agree with you. I am in Minnesota so pretty safe. If you live in Iowa you might want to duck and cover. Something something torches something something pitchforks.

what REALLY gets me in hot water is when people tell me he's the best QB to ever play at ISU and I disagree.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I already have Iowa fan friends telling me Petras is better than Purdy. After 1 week, which was an Iowa loss to a bad team. I think Purdy will be here 2 more years, but that's only if he wants to back up Dekkers or Bouman that 2nd year

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Purdy has had a bad year overall, to me it all comes down to the staff is trying to make him into a pocket passer, while he is more of a scramble, get to the edge QB, and go from there. He was outplayed by the kid from OSU last weekend, and that kid played the way Purdy used to play. I think last year, Purdy thought he had to carry the ball at the start, making poor choices, then it became he give it up to Hall on RPO's instead of keeping it. I also think he was hurting most of the season.

The line play is not any worse than it has been in the past, in some aspects it might even be a little better, there has been a drop off in the wideouts, but how many dropped balls have we seen and just poor placements on passes. Quite a few.