Ranking Pixar Movies

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Saw it with my soon to be 13 year old daughter that struggles with anxiety and we both basically sat there crying for an hour and a half. So, so relatable and well done.

Top 10 Pixar without a doubt and every bit as good as the original.

Unlike you, we were there with our 15-year old daughter who doesn't necessarily struggle with anxiety, but (instead of hockey) tried out for the HS flag team as a middle schooler. It too was extremely relatable for us as well and we were laughing our asses off for an hour and a half.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For all you people liking Ratatouille. WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? Rats are the spreaders of bubonic plague, they don't belong in the kitchen even in some kind of cutesy kid movie. I said this when it came out when my nieces were little and stand by it today.

Reactions: madguy30

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For all you people liking Ratatouille. WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? Rats are the spreaders of bubonic plague, they don't belong in the kitchen even in some kind of cutesy kid movie. I said this when it came out when my nieces were little and stand by it today.
It took me a long time to even want to watch Ratatouille because I thought the premise was just too weird. It was a much better movie than I anticipated, but it didn't fit into my top 10 over others.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’m not sure I could do a top ten but Up, Wall-E and Toy Story series are the tops for me.

I think an underrated “flop” is actually The Good Dinosaur and some adults who are really into the outdoors might appreciate the visual beauty of it. I like it more than several movies people think of as Pixar classics.

Even the “bad” Pixar movies are like C and B- movies.

Reactions: dahliaclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
so many iconic movies from Pixar...

Coco and Brave are vastly underrated movies and some of my favorites to watch with my kids.
The Incredibles 1 and 2 are both great.
Up and Toy Story 4 make me as emotional as any Oscar-worthy Hollywood drama.
I had high hopes for Brave going in, but the demon bear scared the ever-loving **** out of my daughter (5 at the time). She still doesn't want to re-watch it.

I would have loved to have seen them tone down the scariness of the movie and lighten the overall tone a bit. There were some great scenes, but they didn't give Merida enough likeable moments to balance out her character, IMO.

Reactions: FerShizzle

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Growing up loving cars, nascar, and comic books, Cars and The Incredibles are fantastic movies even though I was 30-40 years old watching them. I have to give the nod to the Incredibles. Such a fun movie and it came out 20 years ago.....

Reactions: Cyclones8824

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They’re tough to organize because there are so many fantastic films, but my top 10 are…

1. Coco
2. Ratatouille
3. Inside Out
4. Toy Story 1/2/3 (#3 should take up this spot but it’s impossible to love TS3 without paying respect to the first two)
5. Soul
6. Finding Nemo
7. Up
8. The Incredibles
9. Wall-E
10. Monster’s Inc.

Honorable mention goes to Turning Red. Really bold movie and loved the animation style.

Wall-E’s first act alone would have shot this movie to #1 on my list but the latter half of the movie degenerates into Looney Tunes territory. Still a lot to love, though!

Their entire run (Cars excluded) from Toy Story 1 through 3 is actually pretty remarkable. It’s a shame that Lasseter ended up being a creep because his influence on the quality of films that Pixar has pumped out since then is obviously missing since he was outed from Disney.

I work with a lot of Dreamworks people and it’s interesting to hear their stories of the most successful runs where every release was huge, the rough stretches, and generally being Pepsi to Pixar’s coke.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I had high hopes for Brave going in, but the demon bear scared the ever-loving **** out of my daughter (5 at the time). She still doesn't want to re-watch it.

I would have loved to have seen them tone down the scariness of the movie and lighten the overall tone a bit. There were some great scenes, but they didn't give Merida enough likeable moments to balance out her character, IMO.
Ya. Morduk is pretty scary. Shere Khan of the Jungle Book had a similar affect on my kids.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Nothing can ever top Large Marge from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure for shockingly scary moment in otherwise cheerful adventure :)
I know there’s plenty that makes it not a kids movie, but a ton of young kids saw Ghostbusters. The library scene early in the movie was scary as hell.

I thought Brave was underrated and a lot of it to me was the theme and level of darkness was for a slightly older or more mature audience than the typical Pixar movie.

Based on the themes or humor, I think that makes adults evaluating these movies a bit tough.

For example adults tend to not like Cars but little kids freaking loved it. To me it seems like the target age of Cars vs Inside Out or Toy Story 3 are considerably different. Movies where the target avg viewer is 6-7 vs 10-11 are going to be significantly different.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
so many iconic movies from Pixar...

Coco and Brave are vastly underrated movies and some of my favorites to watch with my kids.
The Incredibles 1 and 2 are both great.
Up and Toy Story 4 make me as emotional as any Oscar-worthy Hollywood drama.

Never saw Brave but I watched Coco just a couple of months after my last (and closest) grandparent passed away and it hit me pretty hard and got me to really wonder about the connections we keep with those that pass way, in a way that I've never had with any 'live' movies.

It was also really cool visually and musically, etc.