Rank your favorite SC anchors

1. Kenny Mayne (While not anchoring, the Mayne Event is brilliant)
2. Dan Patrick
3. Keith Olberman ("He puts the biscuit in the basket!")
4. Rich Eisen (with Kenny Mayne)
5. Scott Van Pelt (useful shot that, useful!)

What about favorite Analysts?
I'm going with the man, the myth, the mullet....Barry Melrose

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
1 patrick
2 olberman
3 kilborn
4 anderson
5 mayne

and my least favorite is Stu Scott. He was nice for the 1st year or so, but he got old reallll quick. Its one thing if the crap he makes up is funny but it not

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
1. Stu Scott
2. Kenny Mayne
3. Dan Patrick
4. Chris Berman
5. Scott Van Pelt
6. Keith Olberman
7. Rich Eisen
8. Carl Ravich
9. Trey Wingo
10. Linda Cohn

ISUCY11

Aug 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
Murphy said it wasn't about the job or the money, it was that he wanted to raise his family here, and not in Bristol. I say he's a better man that I for that.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
1. Far and away Craig Kilborn, my idol, man do I miss his late night show
2. Keith Olberman
3. Dan Patrick
4. Chris Berman
5. Charlie Steiner

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
George Grande
Lee Leonard
Tom Mees
Charlie Steiner
Bob Lee
Chris Berman

The new guys are OK but they treat the show like it is a stand-up comic routine. A little levity is great...but for every highlight?! Also, the show has become mostly a promotional vehicle for the upcoming events that will be broadcast on the "ESPN / ABC / Disney family". It seemed that half the Sunday night / Monday morning shows were somehow related to MNF this past football season.

Frankly, the new fox recap show that uses the visual rundown so you know what is coming is better today (in my opinion).

I go back to the old days as well, when Chris Berman, Tom Mees (may he rest in peace) et al were operating on a shoestring, sleeping in the back and getting something new and fresh started. I always got a kick out of Berman's baseball "name game"- Bert "be home" Blyleven, Manny "Kingston" Trillo, Eric "place or" Show, and my all time favorite John "tonight let it be" Lowenstein. I haven't watched much in years, since Olbermann, but when I do, I see guys just doing a job trying to get the next job. The oldtimers did it to put food on the table

(end of editorial)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
1. Dan Patrick/Keith Olberman
2. Stu Scott/Rich Eisen
3. Kenny Maine (I'll never forget the "I AM THE KING!!! BRING ME YOUR FINEST MEATS AND CHEESES" on a particularly lengthy homer)
4. John Anderson/Scott Van Pelt (When they're both on camera, can you even tell them apart?)
5. Linda Cohn (The First Lady of highlight reels)

Ok, King of Catchphrase obviously Olberman:
"If you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone..."
"Drooling the drool of regret into the pillow of remorse"
"Gianlucca Pagliucca"
"Aiwuhn Buhh"
"And there was much rejoicing ('Yay' by Patrick)
"Niedermayer... DEAD!!!"
"This is for Alanis Morrisette's pain!"
"From way downtown - Bang!"
"Gugh!"
"He beat him like a rented goalie."
"He's day to day. We're all day to day."
"He hit the ball real hard."
"i can read lips, and he is not praying"
"I can't believe I shook the guy's friggin' hand"
"It's deep and I don't think it's playable"
"Invisible gophers"
"Mr. Dictionary has failed us yet again"
"Premature jocularity"
"Saracen Pig! Spartan Dog!"

...so yes, I do have "The Big Show" co-authored by Patrick/Olberman.

Man they need to bring "The Big Show" back...

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
Dan Patrick, love his commentary, what happened to him doing the 5PM SC?
Keith Olberman, I actually find myself watching him on MSNBC sometimes...
Rich Eisen, wish I got the NFL network
Karl Ravech, he is a good moderator when it comes to baseball tonight and good to listen to.
Stu Scott, he is good, I have always enjoyed him on SC

Haha, does anybody remember the Charlie Steiner commercial when Holyfield is looking for him?

"Come out and get your whooping Charlie!"

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Haha, does anybody remember the Charlie Steiner commercial when Holyfield is looking for him?

"Come out and get your whooping Charlie!"

I was just thinking as I read thru this thread that Charlie Steiner wasn't getting his due! He had another commercial where the station was blacked out with emergency lights flashing, and at the very end they show a wild-eyed Charlie Steiner with his necktie as a commando headband shouting, "run for your lives".

I'm with Cyclone#1 - after awhile, all the funnymen blend together; I like the guys who had some originality and / or were straight with a good zinger every once in awhile. My top five:

1) Kilborn - too funny to leave off, plus he left before it got stale
2) John Anderson
3) Linda Cohn
4) Rich Eisen
5) Charlie Steiner

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I was just thinking as I read thru this thread that Charlie Steiner wasn't getting his due! He had another commercial where the station was blacked out with emergency lights flashing, and at the very end they show a wild-eyed Charlie Steiner with his necktie as a commando headband shouting, "run for your lives".

I'm with Cyclone#1 - after awhile, all the funnymen blend together; I like the guys who had some originality and / or were straight with a good zinger every once in awhile. My top five:

1) Kilborn - too funny to leave off, plus he left before it got stale
2) John Anderson
3) Linda Cohn
4) Rich Eisen
5) Charlie Steiner

The commercial you reference was prior to Y2K...a spoof on the mayhem that was possibly going to happen! I also love the clip of an actual SportsCenter (an old one) where he starts laughing and cannot stop...I can't recall what induced it but I laugh uncontrollably every time I see the clip. I believe Charlie does radio broadcasts for the Dodgers now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Stuart Scott's eye thing always bugs me when I see him. He's got a lazy eye or something but when he's looking straight on it looks like he's not even looking in that direction at times.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron