Rank the offense by position group.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
1-TE. Arguably the best TE in the country with another all big 12 partner in crime in chase a. Depth, experience, proven talent, plus the position is deep. And then theres this:

@RandyPete

·
Feb 6, 2020

Matt Campbell on QB-turned TE Easton Dean: "On or off the record, Easton’s going to be the best tight end we’ve ever had here."

2-RB. Arguably the best back in the country. JB got more and more snaps as the year went on showing the staff has confidence in him. Will get more Carrie's with kene gone.

3-QB. Returning 1st team all big 12 is hard to put in the 3rd spot. He has been mistake prone periodically. Needs to cut down on the bad decisions. Backups have potential but largely unproven.

4. OL. Got better and better as the year went along despite the injury bug all year. Excited to see a healthy group take the field this year. Hopefully it stays that way.

5. WR. far from being bad, but dont really jump off the page either. Need milton healthy and someone needs to emerge as a consistent deep threat/big play receiver. Excited to see d. Jackson back healthy.

Reactions: isutrevman

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
1-TE. Arguably the best TE in the country with another all big 12 partner in crime in chase a. Depth, experience, proven talent, plus the position is deep. And then theres this:
@RandyPete
·
Feb 6, 2020

Matt Campbell on QB-turned TE Easton Dean: "On or off the record, Easton’s going to be the best tight end we’ve ever had here."

2-RB. Arguably the best back in the country. JB got more and more snaps as the year went on showing the staff has confidence in him. Will get more Carrie's with kene gone.

3-QB. Returning 1st team all big 12 is hard to put in the 3rd spot. He has been mistake prone periodically. Needs to cut down on the bad decisions. Backups have potential but largely unproven.

4. OL. Got better and better as the year went along despite the injury bug all year. Excited to see a healthy group take the field this year. Hopefully it stays that way.

5. WR. far from being bad, but dont really jump off the page either. Need milton healthy and someone needs to emerge as a consistent deep threat/big play receiver. Excited to see d. Jackson back healthy.
How many Carries are there in Ames? Hope he waits till after the season is over!:jimlad:

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Hard to disagree with any of that evaluation if you're taking the position as a whole and not just the top guy on the depth chart.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
#1. TE, RB, QB

#2. OL and WR

First thought, Jirehl and Eli will do fine replacing Kene.

Second thought, if a guy or two steps up in the OL and WR rooms, they’re all tied for #1.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What's the point of ranking the positions against each other? How so our positions rank within the conference seems like a better comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What's the point of ranking the positions against each other? How so our positions rank within the conference seems like a better comparison.
Entertainment. Have you never been through an off-season before?

I suppose I’d wait until Athlon comes out for a conference ranking, but feel free to start a thread.:)

Reactions: demoncore1031

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm thinking ability-wise the RB group might top any others.

J. Brock will open up some eyes and opponents very well could dread having him back there after having to deal with B. Hall for most situations.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
RB
TE
OL (only reason I have above QB is because we have more shored up depth)
QB
WR

The awesome thing about the offense this year is you could easily write it down as:
1a) RB
1b) TE
1c) OL
1d) QB
2) WR

Every group is quality and every group CAN be great on any given day. As Jeff Woody would say, if you're an opposing DC, who do you game plan to try to take away? Hall would be the obvious answer, but that leave so many other opportunities for our offense to still be successful even if an opponent could stop Hall. We're exactly what CMC wants in an offence - Multiple.

Reactions: srjclone

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
@RandyPete
·
Feb 6, 2020

If Scates plays up to his ability and Milton is healthy then this WR group could be damn good.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
If Scates plays up to his ability and Milton is healthy then this WR group could be damn good.

Isu is a Hakeem/lazard away from being dominant on offense. That's all that's missing. Need to have a consistent deep threat. That part of the offense simply hasn't been there the past few years.

We were spoiled with those two. Wish butler would've stayed another year. Both he and isu likely would have been better off for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and nrg4isu

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Can someone go into more depth on our OL talent?

I know we've got decent starting quality guys like Downing, Newell, Simmons, Foster, Ramos and Schweiger... but after that the most promising younger ones seem to be Remsburg, Hufford, and Treiber, right? You've also got Hudson, who's already a RS senior now.... but has seemingly always been battling injuries so I don't think we've ever seen him at full health yet.

I was hoping that Treiber was going to be our next total beast OL... which could still happen of course.... but I thought we'd see him a lot more last year. I guess I have heard a few mentions of Tyler Miller and Rengert too.

It definitely has to be the deepest and most talented OL we've had in forever though. And I've always felt like it was the OL and DL that always held ISU back in the past. Many years it felt like we had better talent at the skill positions than Iowa did, but they'd win the games in the trenches every single time and just physically beat us. But I think we've definitely caught up a LOT in that aspect, but still have better skill position players.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Can someone go into more depth on our OL talent?

I know we've got decent starting quality guys like Downing, Newell, Simmons, Foster, Ramos and Schweiger... but after that the most promising younger ones seem to be Remsburg, Hufford, and Treiber, right? You've also got Hudson, who's already a RS senior now.... but has seemingly always been battling injuries so I don't think we've ever seen him at full health yet.

I was hoping that Treiber was going to be our next total beast OL... which could still happen of course.... but I thought we'd see him a lot more last year. I guess I have heard a few mentions of Tyler Miller and Rengert too.

It definitely has to be the deepest and most talented OL we've had in forever though. And I've always felt like it was the OL and DL that always held ISU back in the past. Many years it felt like we had better talent at the skill positions than Iowa did, but they'd win the games in the trenches every single time and just physically beat us. But I think we've definitely caught up a LOT in that aspect, but still have better skill position players.
I was going to write this up elsewhere but…

On a podcast a few weeks ago, CW and Blum both seemed to feel that Sean Foster would likely share time at LT this season, and that would help the team.

Having listened to the coaches talk since then, though, I can’t tell you whether that’s likely to be Grant Treiber or Tyler Miller. Both get good mentions. Only summer drills will tell.

I’d pencil in Trevor Downing and Colin Newell at a guard and center. That’s about as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Along with Derek Schweiger and Darrell Simmons, Jarrod Hufford has decided to make a run at a starting guard spot. Oh, and the reason that Rob Hudson didn’t go in when Downing was hurt was that he was dinged up the first part of the season.

And at right tackle, I’d expect a battle royale between Jake Remsburg and Joey Ramos. I gather that Remsburg may be the more physical of the two, but Ramos moves better in pass protection. Anyone can feel free to correct me on that.

In short, we now have depth!

Oh, and along with Tyler Miller, I’d expect all the other four RS freshmen—Hayden Pauls, Anthony Smith, Brady Petersen and Sam Rengert—to all be ready to play if needed.

Pauls is on my list of “could be special”—if he’s added quality muscle. Just like Treiber, if he still moves well after adding around forty pounds.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Isu is a Hakeem/lazard away from being dominant on offense. That's all that's missing. Need to have a consistent deep threat. That part of the offense simply hasn't been there the past few years.

We were spoiled with those two. Wish butler would've stayed another year. Both he and isu likely would have been better off for it.

I dont think we've seen the best of Xavier Hutchinson yet. He no doubt is a different type of receiver than Lazard and Butler. Lazard and Butler of course with their larger frames were better in the downfield/jumpball passing game. Hutchinson is one of the best run after catch wide receivers we've had in a long time however. The guy turns into a running back after the catch and is an absolute beast to bring down. Get him the ball on those quick screens and crossing routes all day.

Between Milton, Jackson, Scates and Shaw one of them needs to make a major leap. I think Jackson could be that guy.

The idea that we have the best returning running back and tight end in the game with an All Big 12 QB and WR and top tier offensive line in the conference is just absurd.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think it's worth noting that this will be the first time in Brock's career(assuming I'm not being dumb and forgetting someone obvious) that he'll be able to have a WR1 on his squad for more than 1 season. That without a doubt will be huge for him. Having every single one back, even if we're still waiting on someone not named Hutch to step up, should be even bigger.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think it's worth noting that this will be the first time in Brock's career(assuming I'm not being dumb and forgetting someone obvious) that he'll be able to have a WR1 on his squad for more than 1 season. That without a doubt will be huge for him. Having every single one back, even if we're still waiting on someone not named Hutch to step up, should be even bigger.
Hutch? You mean X?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

Agree completely about how Butler should've stayed. As for Scates, he can be that deep threat if he matures. Athletically he's so gifted, just needs to develop this offseason.

Help Support Us

Become a patron