Randy Peterson doing dirty work with Coach Prohm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I want Steve gone just as much as the rest of us but it's not Steve's job to be thinking about next year's basketball team / aspirations when he's still coaching the 2020-2021 team.

If a coach is not thinking of next year's team as part of your recruiting strategy, and planning current player developmental needs, then you are truly done.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If a coach is not thinking of next year's team as part of your recruiting strategy, and planning current player developmental needs, then you are truly done.
I didn't mean he shouldn't ever be thinking about the future, I meant in that specific interview, the question of next year's team shouldn't have been asked.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Come on man....Those could easily be questions the media could ask of Prohm.

"Fan morale is low right now, how are you going to bring them an exciting and new product in the 2021/2022 basketball season?"

If he answers with a vanilla response of "keep doing what we're doing" then yeah, he's signing his own death warrant.

Do you really believe that somehow Prohm isn't being held accountable here? I don't even follow his press conferences all that closely and even I see comment after comment from him about how this is unacceptable, the fans deserve better, and it's his responsibility.

He knows he's failing, he basically admits it every time he's in front of a microphone, and rubbing his nose in it by disguising a bunch of insults as questions is demeaning and unnecessary.

The closer we get to the end of the season, the more questions he will face about why he should keep his job and how he plans to rebuild the program. That the media isn't asking those questions in a Zoom call previewing the Baylor game does not concern me in the least.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Do you really believe that somehow Prohm isn't being held accountable here? I don't even follow his press conferences all that closely and even I see comment after comment from him about how this is unacceptable, the fans deserve better, and it's his responsibility.

He knows he's failing, he basically admits it every time he's in front of a microphone, and rubbing his nose in it by disguising a bunch of insults as questions is demeaning and unnecessary.

The closer we get to the end of the season, the more questions he will face about why he should keep his job and how he plans to rebuild the program. That the media isn't asking those questions in a Zoom call previewing the Baylor game does not concern me in the least.

This post isn't about your opinion of whether the questions should be asked of Prohm or not....it's a post about how ****** Peterson's question are (and generally how ****** of a journalist he is too)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think if it were someone other than Randy, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I mean, how can you cover this team and not talk about the most relevant thing regarding the program? Randy's history of questions like this point to a different agenda though, I don't feel bad for him getting crap about this.

Randy probably feels like he is a cutting edge journalist with those questions.

He would have been if he asked them two months ago!

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
This is borderline incoherent, but I'll give it a go.

No, ISU does not enjoy the level of fanboy coverage that Iowa gets, but the tone of coverage has crept much closer to that of a fan site like CF than traditionally objective news coverage you would have read 10-15 years ago.

That said, those reporters must still put distance between themselves and the teams/coaches/administrators they cover and ask the tough questions when the situation warrants. Randy did that here and was in no way out of bounds for doing so.

That you didn't like it doesn't make it wrong.

Listen, I don't even know exactly what Randy asked or how as I didn't watch. I never want to witness him asking a question again. Everyone is quite familiar with Randy and his "journalism".

To your "objective coverage" Its sports. Its not important. Its okay to be positive sometimes, or even to ask well thought out questions unlike Randy's usual. No revelation is going to be made by this line of questioning. It is not a tough question to ask this of a dead man walking. Every coach we have must roll his eyes at least internally any time Randy talks.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Listen, I don't even know exactly what Randy asked or how as I didn't watch. I never want to witness him asking a question again. Everyone is quite familiar with Randy and his "journalism".

To your "objective coverage" Its sports. Its not important. Its okay to be positive sometimes, or even to ask well thought out questions unlike Randy's usual. No revelation is going to be made by this line of questioning. It is not a tough question to ask this of a dead man walking. Every coach we have must roll his eyes at least internally any time Randy talks.

You didn't even watch and you're lecturing me about this? Get lost.