Randy Pete: Starter will be Richardson

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I personally hope he is correct. I didn't see a thread on this story, sorry if it is already posted buried somewhere...
Peterson: Richardson is perfect for Mangino's Cyclone offense

1396440654000-Randy002.JPG
Randy Peterson, [email protected]

AMES, Ia. – It was obvious right from the start, the identity of Iowa State's starting quarterback come Aug. 30 against North Dakota State. Some of us just overthought it.
We tried to make a logical case for both. We gave it our best shot, while, in fact, it was as plain as the No. 12 on Sam Richardson's uniform.
That's who I still expect Paul Rhoads to reveal Monday during his almost-daily post-practice session with reporters – that for the second season in a row, it's Richardson.

Read more: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ads-north-dakota-state-mark-mangino/14166835/

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
FWIW, I think everyone with a connection to the football team would say the same based on what I have heard. I will be shocked if they announce that it is Grant tomorrow.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
FWIW, I think everyone with a connection to the football team would say the same based on what I have heard. I will be shocked if they announce that it is Grant tomorrow.

Yeah...I have not a single inside source, but everyone, sans Travis Hines, has felt it will be Richardson for the last few weeks. I would be shocked if come tomorrow, Grant is practicing with the ones.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think we all agree with Randy, however, I'm not sure why we "should" have known this all along?

I don't think the coaches even knew until about a week or so ago who was going to start?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
People say Grant had more power behind his passes but failed to realize that Rhoads said this summer, Richardsons workout helped him have the same power behind his passes as Grant.

So if he throws better and moves better, how difficult of a decision is it

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The funny thing about it is that I bet you could go back several weeks or a few months ago in articles or chats and Randy would say that it is obvious that Grant would be the starter. I don't mind the article, but Randy writes likes he's the only one to come up with the theory.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I agree Sam appears to be the guy. But I don't see how that was obvious all along. Up until the end of this week it sure seemed like it could go either way

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
The funny thing about it is that I bet you could go back several weeks or a few months ago in articles or chats and Randy would say that it is obvious that Grant would be the starter. I don't mind the article, but Randy writes likes he's the only one to come up with the theory.

Ya, RP was saying before to look for Rohach to be the starter. Trey Scott and CW both wrote that they expected Sam to be the guy a couple days ago. RP just catching up.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I can't pretend to know the intricacies of mangino's system but Sam reminds me mostly of reesing out of our 3 qbs

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Randy must Not Been at ISU gamesbil

I haven't read the article, but don't know how anyone could say this decision was obvious unless they have been attending the fall practices. As fans the last time we saw Richardson on the field during the spring game he looked like a QB that had lost his confidence and very nervous in the pocket.

IMO its a great story if Sam has transformed his game both physically and mentally since mid April. If Sam is the guy, his running ability is an added dimension to ISU's offense that Grant doesn't possess. I just hope his running isn't out of necessity. It will be:critical for the coaching:staff to continue Grant's development, because Sam has been unlucky from an injury standpoint.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think it will be Sam and I'm excited about it. I think we have yet to see him at 100% and I'm anxious to see what he can do with a bigger, stronger frame and an OC that doesn't try to get him killed.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
@Zacklopedia: Since ppl are asking & some ppl are predicting, I'll tell you what I've been told. Sam Richardson IS & will be the starting QB for Iowa St.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Re: Randy must Not Been at ISU gamesbil

I haven't read the article, but don't know how anyone could say this decision was obvious unless they have been attending the fall practices. As fans the last time we saw Richardson on the field during the spring game he looked like a QB that had lost his confidence and very nervous in the pocket.

IMO its a great story if Sam has transformed his game both physically and mentally since mid April. If Sam is the guy, his running ability is an added dimension to ISU's offense that Grant doesn't possess. I just hope his running isn't out of necessity. It will be:critical for the coaching:staff to continue Grant's development, because Sam has been unlucky from an injury standpoint.

I'd say it was obvious from watching and comparing Richardson's games vs Rohach's games. I cant remember a single play from Grant last year that stuck with me or wowed me. Richardson has wowed me several times, like the 50+ yard run he had. Does that mean anything? No. But this team needs playmakers wherever they can get them, especially QB, and Sam has always been the bigger play-making threat because of his ability to run or throw.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
If both QB's are similar in terms of ability and results, I'd go with the one who has the most upside. Personally, I think Rohach has more upside. But until Mangino proves otherwise, I'm going with his decision and will support it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You guys realize one bad game...one bad SPRING game, means nothing, right? He may have been just fine then, just had a bad game.

Did you guys see how Eli Manning did his last preseason game? Pretty similar. ****** games happen, might as well get them out of the way before it matters.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know if Sam has been looking really good? Or is he just being named because its time to name a starter.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If both QB's are similar in terms of ability and results, I'd go with the one who has the most upside. Personally, I think Rohach has more upside. But until Mangino proves otherwise, I'm going with his decision and will support it.

They aren't similar. Sam throws it just as hard as Grant, throws less interceptions than Grant, and runs better than Grant.

Really, unless Sam just makes horrible decisions, it seems like a no brainer after Rhoads said Sam and Grant are equal in terms of passing game.