Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't dawn on me till tonight that it was 59 years ago today that JFK was assassinated. Was in home room class when Miss Norton told us.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Didn't dawn on me till tonight that it was 59 years ago today that JFK was assassinated. Was in home room class when Miss Norton told us.
I saw a couple of tweets about it with pictures of where they were at that time such as getting off the plane, in the car etc. a while ago I stumbled across a short documentary on it focusing on what they did with him from the hospital on that was interesting. Will try and find it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Well, I went with a boneless lag of lamb for tomorrow, Now I just have to think of a couple of sides

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I saw a couple of tweets about it with pictures of where they were at that time such as getting off the plane, in the car etc. a while ago I stumbled across a short documentary on it focusing on what they did with him from the hospital on that was interesting. Will try and find it.

Four news or TV events are sort of seared into young Boxster's memory from the 1960's

1963 - The Kennedy assassination I noted earlier. Parents had a book on it The Torch is Passed and my mother was pretty much 100% republican. Book was an AP publication and sort of a "never forget" perspective of the four days through till funeral.

1969 - Everyone sitting in the living room watching/listening to the moon landing. Somewhere (lost) is a picture I took of that gathering.

Two sporting events:

1967 - The famous NFL championship game, aka the "Ice Bowl" in Green Bay with temps -13°. My guys won.

1964 - Gm 7 of World Series, Yankees Mel Stottlemyre vs. Card's Bob Gibson. Ran home from school (approx. one mile) to catch last few innings to see Mantle homers but my guys lose.

/end Wednesday a.m. flashbacks :rolleyes:

Reactions: SaraV and wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Four news or TV events are sort of seared into young Boxster's memory from the 1960's

1963 - The Kennedy assassination I noted earlier. Parents had a book on it The Torch is Passed and my mother was pretty much 100% republican. Book was an AP publication and sort of a "never forget" perspective of the four days through till funeral.

1969 - Everyone sitting in the living room watching/listening to the moon landing. Somewhere (lost) is a picture I took of that gathering.

Two sporting events:

1967 - The famous NFL championship game, aka the "Ice Bowl" in Green Bay with temps -13°. My guys won.

1964 - Gm 7 of World Series, Yankees Mel Stottlemyre vs. Card's Bob Gibson. Ran home from school (approx. one mile) to catch last few innings to see Mantle homers but my guys lose.

/end Wednesday a.m. flashbacks :rolleyes:

I definitely remember sitting around the TV watching the moon landing
;). Thanks for making me feel younger guys.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Buck deer on my street about 20 minutes ago trying to get run into. I was already on high deer alert so even though he had planted himself in the middle of the street I did not hit him. Jeez, just stood there and stared at me.

I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like deer with the white tails. .
I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Dad and I had the bright idea to take advantage of the nice weather and go fishing and bring LittleWx. He of course wouldn’t go unless his best friend that he had been playing with all day could come to. So fishing with a 9 and 7 year old went about as well as you can imagine. At least my dad caught three nice rainbows.

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hmmm, just dawned on me that it's been a long time since I've heard from Monique, my imaginary French girlfriend. That's somewhat worrisome.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hmmm, just dawned on me that it's been a long time since I've heard from Monique, my imaginary French girlfriend. That's somewhat worrisome.
Those French women can get wandering eyes. May want to find a Swedish one. As a plus Swedes are usually taller than French women.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Those French women can get wandering eyes. May want to find a Swedish one. As a plus Swedes are usually taller than French women.
Just a few weeks ago found out my great-great-great grandpa was born in France. That's pretty watered down, though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just a few weeks ago found out my great-great-great grandpa was born in France. That's pretty watered down, though.
I have one of my great or great greats (don’t remember right now) that is literally born in Germany but right where it and the Netherlands and France all meet. So it’s always a wonderment of what that part is. German, but if you go 10 miles either way it’s a different country and I don’t think they probably didn’t intermingle quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.