Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have officially seen crazy stupid now. Looking at a new yard tractor and saw a tractor with a sunroof. Like WTF? Who is thinking, hey I want to tan a smidge when I'm out moving snow with this thing?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nothing screws up interior wall framing like an unlevel level.

I have several you can borrow. Damn thingies are made like crap. Finally bought a spendy wood one. And, of course, it didn't last even as long as the cheap ones. And, no, I've never dropped any of them. My six footer is at least still accurate, I need to toss the four footer(s).

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I have several you can borrow. Damn thingies are made like crap. Finally bought a spendy wood one. And, of course, it didn't last even as long as the cheap ones. And, no, I've never dropped any of them. My six footer is at least still accurate, I need to toss the four footer(s).
I'm doing some demo/reno work for a relative of my mom's for extra cash. He's flipping it, well that's the goal at least. He has 3 other guys working on the house too, his brother-in-law, who knows what he's doing, then a friend of his step-son who thinks he knows what he's doing, and then my cousin who has 20+ years experience as a carpenter.

I work with my cousin and the BIL if I get there early enough in the day, and then with the friend in the evening. My cousin has been redoing everything the friend has done. Well come to find out, the 4ft plastic level we've all been using has a slight bend in it. Once my cousin saw that, he went out to his truck to get his metal one.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm doing some demo/reno work for a relative of my mom's for extra cash. He's flipping it, well that's the goal at least. He has 3 other guys working on the house too, his brother-in-law, who knows what he's doing, then a friend of his step-son who thinks he knows what he's doing, and then my cousin who has 20+ years experience as a carpenter.

I work with my cousin and the BIL if I get there early enough in the day, and then with the friend in the evening. My cousin has been redoing everything the friend has done. Well come to find out, the 4ft plastic level we've all been using has a slight bend in it. Once my cousin saw that, he went out to his truck to get his metal one.

Reminds me of working as a carpenter on the neighbors house (architect friend) back 40 years ago. Was a good experience, learned lots of misc skills from framing to window installation to metal roof to wood ceilings to sheetrocking to helping with the flat rubber roof. Never did learn to tile.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Reminds me of working as a carpenter on the neighbors house (architect friend) back 40 years ago. Was a good experience, learned lots of misc skills from framing to window installation to metal roof to wood ceilings to sheetrocking to helping with the flat rubber roof. Never did learn to tile.
I'm learning what to do and what not to do.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have officially seen crazy stupid now. Looking at a new yard tractor and saw a tractor with a sunroof. Like WTF? Who is thinking, hey I want to tan a smidge when I'm out moving snow with this thing?

Sunroof or escape hatch? I've seen some foreign tractors with escape hatches in case you roll them over.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Sunroof or escape hatch? I've seen some foreign tractors with escape hatches in case you roll them over.
The one I used at rhe school I custodianed at in college had an escape hatch for that reason. The slightest incline and that sucker wanted to tip

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm learning what to do and what not to do.

My framing skills are pretty dated. I still have my 22oz and 24oz framing hammers. We didn't have nail guns on that amateurish job. In 1980 only pros had nailers and even our union carpenter lead didn't have one. LOL at a memory. We got picketed by the union and union guy got kicked off the job for working with us non-union hacks. It was just a private residence being remodeled for my architect friend but he put his company sign up so it became something else.

Edit: I later bought the house next door where I am right now Thinking I'll pour a bottle of wine and toast the fact I am not working on an unheated project like I was right next door in 1979. Had no heat because the union HVAC guys won't cross the picket line which was an old guy in station wagon with an "unfair to labor" sign.

Last edited:

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Watching 3rd/4th graders try and figure out how to do a reverse pivot is quite entertaining

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In addition to my cheap bullet level that works great and my plastic 4 footer that has held up just fine, I have my grandpa's wood one. I looked it up at one point and I think it was likely made somewhere between 1940 and the late '50s. I used the wooden two footer quite a bit this fall when rebuilding the deck.

Reactions: NWICY

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Wait until they are 5/6th graders and still doing the same thing. It goes from entertaining to beating your head against the wall.
Can confirm. In 5/6th grade the ability levels are all over the place

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can confirm. In 5/6th grade the ability levels are all over the place
By the time our third was in 3-4th grade, a neighbor "kid" (stopped playing college ball and transferred home to a closer school part time) wanted to get into coaching, so my wife and I basically hired him as the coach. It may have cost me 4-500 per year, but the sanity and time I saved was worth more than that. Add in that he had played for the HS coach and he was running the drills and offense/defense that they would run in school, it helped a lot; until the HS fired the coach.......

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
By the time our third was in 3-4th grade, a neighbor "kid" (stopped playing college ball and transferred home to a closer school part time) wanted to get into coaching, so my wife and I basically hired him as the coach. It may have cost me 4-500 per year, but the sanity and time I saved was worth more than that. Add in that he had played for the HS coach and he was running the drills and offense/defense that they would run in school, it helped a lot; until the HS fired the coach.......
We've tried finding a hs or college kid that would do it but haven't had any luck. Like you had, you need someone that wants to be a coach. My wife and I have been coaching for several years now and I have learned a lot, not only about teaching kids, but also how not to go bats**t crazy. A lot of that is from watching how other coaches act and how dumb they look. There are still times that it would be relieving to throw a chair though.

Not surprisingly, being able to stay calm for kids sports has helped with being a cyclone fan as well from time to time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We've tried finding a hs or college kid that would do it but haven't had any luck. Like you had, you need someone that wants to be a coach. My wife and I have been coaching for several years now and I have learned a lot, not only about teaching kids, but also how not to go bats**t crazy. A lot of that is from watching how other coaches act and how dumb they look. There are still times that it would be relieving to throw a chair though.

Not surprisingly, being able to stay calm for kids sports has helped with being a cyclone fan as well from time to time.
I probably had other towns parents think I was a total rear end. I warned the other parents that at a young age, I have learned that I need to get their attention, so I told them that I will call a timeout during the first game and chew on the kids pretty good for not listening and not playing together. Told them I may be a little loud (no cursing or putting down individual kids, just loud). After that I always had the kids' attention in games and better in practice, if I raised my voice 10% after that they would snap in right away. I said I just need to put a little fear into them and it doesn't work in practice, works way better when their parents are there. Coaching is a lot of psychology.

With my daughters team, they were skittish for contact, so after a game when a girl, who wasn't my daughter because she was the only one not scared of contact, I huddled the team up and high fived the girl and said she got the first foul. Then I asked if she was hurt and she said no, so I used that as a teaching moment that fouls won't hurt you and I won't get up set for physical play, in fact I want it. So after every physical foul, we would high five a little when they got to the bench. They couldn't score, but by the time they were done with 6th grade I had parents of other teams tell me they always dreaded playing my daughters team because it was a throw down and extremely physical. What you get when the coach in HS had the enforcer role.

Reactions: do4CY
Status
Not open for further replies.