Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well on the bright side, at least there was a friend's house to fall back on.
Yeah, I told him I was proud of him for thinking of that. It was literally 300 feet or so through yards from our old house so I reminded him of a few old neighbors he could go to as well.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Left my headset in the office so I had to drive in. Driving through Omaha is like participating in a demolition derby. Two bad accidents on my way. One that I had to do a major detour to actually get to the office

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got a coffee at Casey’s. 1.92 register says. Then it changed and clerk says 1.79. I give a ten. She hands me my change and says 1.85. I see at least a 5 and at least 3 ones. So I think close enough with the change. I get to my vehicle and count 8.95 in change.

Didn’t take the receipt and was thoroughly confused so I just drove off.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Got a coffee at Casey’s. 1.92 register says. Then it changed and clerk says 1.79. I give a ten. She hands me my change and says 1.85. I see at least a 5 and at least 3 ones. So I think close enough with the change. I get to my vehicle and count 8.95 in change.

This is why I always use a card. No math. Boxster no likey math.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
FWIW MrsWx wasn't mad last night and today she called me sweet. She keeps saying "read the tone" but I hear what I want to.

Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

No one who enters retail is taught how to properly count out change. I was taught to start at the total and count the change out coins to bills ending with the amount the customer gave ("$1.85. 1.90, 2 dollars, 3, 4, 5 and 10."). I was also taught to not put the bill in the till until the customer was satisfied and walked away. You had proof when they say, "Hey, I gave you a twenty and you gave me change for a ten." "No, ma'am, the ten is still right here." It is aggravating at a drive up window to have someone place bills on your palm and then they try to pile a bunch of loose change on top of the bills.

Also, even banks don't face bills (turn them so they are all front side up all facing the same way) anymore. I was taught that it is easy to see a non-matching bill when you are counting them out if they are all faced. It is also easy to see if someone tries to count out bills and has slipped one folded in half in the stack so it gets counted twice.

Yeah, after COVID I started using a card for pretty much everything and I'm probably not going back.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No one who enters retail is taught how to properly count out change. I was taught to start at the total and count the change out coins to bills ending with the amount the customer gave ("$1.85. 1.90, 2 dollars, 3, 4, 5 and 10."). I was also taught to not put the bill in the till until the customer was satisfied and walked away. You had proof when they say, "Hey, I gave you a twenty and you gave me change for a ten." "No, ma'am, the ten is still right here." It is aggravating at a drive up window to have someone place bills on your palm and then they try to pile a bunch of loose change on top of the bills.

Also, even banks don't face bills (turn them so they are all front side up all facing the same way) anymore. I was taught that it is easy to see a non-matching bill when you are counting them out if they are all faced. It is also easy to see if someone tries to count out bills and has slipped one folded in half in the stack so it gets counted twice.

Yeah, after COVID I started using a card for pretty much everything and I'm probably not going back.
That covers most of MY rant re: making and distributing change.

I learned the hard way that my thumbs simply can't do the bills & change at the same time - had to chase way too much change down at drive thrus. Now, when I extend my hand for change (IF I use cash, that is), I extend it palm down, and say "bills first, please". After the bills are in the car, I put my hand out palm up for the change. Simple but effective.

Reactions: VeloClone
Status
Not open for further replies.