Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Mowing service peeps are doing their twilight thing across the street. Have heard to LOUD blades contacting something VERY solid. When you mow in the half dark you hit ****. Can't imagine the mowing job is going to look great tomorrow.

One of the more loathesome jobs I had while still living under my parents' roof was picking sticks up out of the yard before mowing. Yard is about half an acre, so not a typical small suburban lawn. It sucked, but I understood why we did it.

Fast forward MANY years to one apartment complex that had a good number of mature trees on the property. I'd hear the lawn service driving their mowers at full speed, and then hit a stick. 1) Glad I'm not outside to possibly get hit by stick shrapnel
2) Have fun replacing those blades you're dulling.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My brother and I (teenagers) were in the front row for Jaws because we got there almost late and these were the last few open seats. Theater in Cedar Rapids near one of the shopping centers, don't remember which and it probably isn't there anymore anyway.

I can't remember what it was back in the day but the now Collins Road Theater's has been around for a long time. Coincidentally it is roughly located on what was a drive in.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Well I feel like a **** parent. I took my 9 month old to the changing table and set her down, but her legs pushed up the cushion. Not thinking and just reacting, I scooted her body up to put the cushion back in place and of course her head bonked the railing. She cried for a few seconds but was okay after that. No marks and was acting fine (aside from being tired due to being about nap time) but I felt like ****. Reading reddit and Dad stories about accidentally bumping their kids heads made me feel better, but Dad guilt is a very real thing.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well I feel like a **** parent. I took my 9 month old to the changing table and set her down, but her legs pushed up the cushion. Not thinking and just reacting, I scooted her body up to put the cushion back in place and of course her head bonked the railing. She cried for a few seconds but was okay after that. No marks and was acting fine (aside from being tired due to being about nap time) but I felt like ****. Reading reddit and Dad stories about accidentally bumping their kids heads made me feel better, but Dad guilt is a very real thing.

It is, but you get used to it. We have a makeshift changing table on a built in bookshelf type thing in the living room and I accidentally bonked our daughters head on it a couple of months ago. Ooppss. She is also the third child so my mistakes with the first two have made me numb.

One time when our oldest wanted to take the dog on a walk with me and hold on to the leash I was hesitant because the dog pulls hard. For whatever reason in my mind this means you should hold on tight which I told him to do (he was MAYBE 5 but likely 4 or so when this happened). He followed directions which has always been a rare occurrence and was swept off his feet and landed face first on the driveway. MrsWx was not pleased with my decision making.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and CloneGuy8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will toughen the kid up.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You’ll be good. That **** happens. We’ve all been there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For part time jobs I like to cash the checks and wait to deposit it when I have accumulated a couple worth. Makes me feel like I actually made something instead of a hundred here, two twenty there. More likely to cash and spend it also if I don’t squirrel it into my holding spot. The bank people are confused by me for the most part. They were confused when I worked there so that’s not new.

I get a similar 'thrill' from taking change in to cash out.

$30-40...that I already had.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dude, why do you always wait until Saturday night to tell me about issuess you saw several days ago? It’s getting old.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just made my way to work. On the drive 2 deer crossed ahead of me. They were 50 yards ahead so didn't have to slow down to avoid hitting them. They looked pretty young.

Status
Not open for further replies.