Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If you have any family members, inlaws, or whatever, that you are forced to spend some time with off and on; do you prefer to force general small talk or just sit in silence and talk to those that you feel you can carry a conversation with? I don't have issues sitting in silence for hours at a time (when I'm in the field or hauling grain, I rarely have a radio on and am absorbed in my work or am just patient) and not talking to just talk. Ive been told recently that some people feel I'm just ignoring them because I may just talk to my kids or a few other people and not talk with them. I have no common interests with them and honestly don't even care for them that much, so I just hang out. I don't care if they don't talk to me.

I try and be as cordial as possible trying to find common ground and am successful in most cases. One of my GFILs is getting more and more cranky as he ages. Everything comes back to politics (far right wing for him) and I just don't have the care to debate with someone that doesn't want to or care about other viewpoints.

I think I posted it here but my story the other day about a discussion on insanely loud leaf blowers being outlawed in some places made us "wimps" in his eyes. Whatevs dude.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I try and be as cordial as possible trying to find common ground and am successful in most cases. One of my GFILs is getting more and more cranky as he ages. Everything comes back to politics (far right wing for him) and I just don't have the care to debate with someone that doesn't want to or care about other viewpoints.

I think I posted it here but my story the other day about a discussion on insanely loud leaf blowers being outlawed in some places made us "wimps" in his eyes. Whatevs dude.
All leaf blowers should be banned.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If you have any family members, inlaws, or whatever, that you are forced to spend some time with off and on; do you prefer to force general small talk or just sit in silence and talk to those that you feel you can carry a conversation with? I don't have issues sitting in silence for hours at a time (when I'm in the field or hauling grain, I rarely have a radio on and am absorbed in my work or am just patient) and not talking to just talk. Ive been told recently that some people feel I'm just ignoring them because I may just talk to my kids or a few other people and not talk with them. I have no common interests with them and honestly don't even care for them that much, so I just hang out. I don't care if they don't talk to me.
My closest family is about 550 miles away so I don't have that problem.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some dude got his BMW hijacked 1/2 mile from me at the private school ice rink. Guy had a gun and dumb ass ran. Hijacker chased him and knocked him down and took the keys. Dumb ass is lucky he didn't get shot or beaten. Just give em the keys, the car can be replaced, you cannot.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My closest family is about 550 miles away so I don't have that problem.
My sister texted me a few minutes ago. She is coming down to help with cemetery stuff this afternoon. She lives in Austin and we get along very well and are happy for each other and our nephews and nieces success. Distance makes better relations. My wife and her bro are both in their hometown.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well, I've fulfilled my civic duty for the next two years this past week.

Heavy subject matter for the trial, but I'm at peace with the decision we the jury made.

Back to the grind on Monday.
Whoa, I didn’t have to report either week this time. Probably now on a frequent “call” list.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Need to go forage for food. Think I'll try a grocery store.

Power outage sort disrupted the feed supply in the frig and freezer.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

If you see a nice lady in the bakery section you can always say, “nice buns……..I think I will have burgers tonight” and then grab a package of hamburger buns. If she blushes and no ring, ask her if she would like to join you.

Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

You should do a post in the “southern trees” thread. You’d probably win.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Well, I've fulfilled my civic duty for the next two years this past week.

Heavy subject matter for the trial, but I'm at peace with the decision we the jury made.

Back to the grind on Monday.

BRB while I search what was on trial in Polk county this week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

You should have asked him how he feels about someone playing loud rap music.

Reactions: wxman1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My day didn't quite start like I planned either. Blood donation appt at 7:30. Did questionnaire at home first, ready for checkin, new person at the front desk, gave me the small heat pad right away for the blood test - weird. Didn't really recognize a single person there, although my "person" was great. No more finger prick for hemoglobin level, now they clamp a tool around your left thumb and it measures while you sit as motionless as possible -- while relaxing of course -- for about a minute. My level was 11.9 both times. Don't think it's ever been that low. Couldn't donate so rescheduled for a week from now. I haven't changed anything in the past eight weeks, so am frustrated at this low level and that I couldn't donate today. Went to Starbucks anyway on the way to work. Sigh.

I've only failed the hemoglobin test once, ate a steak and went back the next wk. Haven't done the thumb test yet.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Got out paddling/fishing last night and today in a Madison lake and out of town.

Good 'reconnection' with seeing some fish, turtles, etc. Even a large softshell sunbathing which I don't believe I'd ever seen before.

Took forever to feel warm enough to get out there but holy cow that was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron