Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Okay, question for all y'all...

The past three months at work have been tedious to say the least. Not just because it's the busy season...I don't think it's that. I can't pinpoint what exactly is the root of my discontent/anxiousness, but part of it is my pay. I was hired at one particular amount, then had a LOT more responsibility put upon me, got a meager raise at the one year mark.

Anyway, fast forward to last week. There's a position open at a different location, different than what I do now but using similar skills. As per usual norms for this company, I did let my direct boss know about applying, just a really quick "Hey, wanted to let you know, I'm applying for a position at [location]," and I have an interview set up for tomorrow.

We now jump to today. Second in command of my location comes into my office, says I've been doing a really good job, we appreciate you, etc., here's an 8.5% raise. Interesting, I think...I'll take it...but I'm still interviewing tomorrow.

We jump forward again. I'm asked to go to different location to help with end of month duties because they're really struggling getting someone that can do it properly. Head guy at this location is like the supervisor over both his and my location. So, he asks me if my manager had spoken to me about my wage changes. That threw me off my feet a bit, and then he said something like "Are you looking to stay?" I feel like I stammered and started going into something about how the hours are getting cumbersome, etc. (Which they are) We didn't get a chance to finish the conversation because someone came in about something, and the supe said "We'll talk about this later..." (we didn't)

ANYWAY! (Good lord this is long) They drop this raise on me, day before my interview, I'm not quite sure what this new position would pay. Might be awfully close to what I was just given today. I don't even know what advice I'm looking for...how do you pinpoint what makes you unhappy in a job? (I mostly like the job, and most of the people I work with)

Sorry for long rambly post.

I don't really have a good answer for you, wish I did. I am in a somewhat similar boat but not nearly as urgent as yours. Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, what I want to do etc. I like my job but I don't want to do it for 30 more years.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Apparently Madison school district said yesterday that they were going to postpone coming back and then would be doing virtual learning for a while after that. I just felt so bad for parents because they are getting no advance notice

Email went out Thursday I think, hit all the mom groups Wed or Thurs. Still sucks though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The past three months at work have been tedious to say the least. Not just because it's the busy season...I don't think it's that. I can't pinpoint what exactly is the root of my discontent/anxiousness, but part of it is my pay. I was hired at one particular amount, then had a LOT more responsibility put upon me, got a meager raise at the one year mark.

Anyway, fast forward to last week. There's a position open at a different location, different than what I do now but using similar skills. As per usual norms for this company, I did let my direct boss know about applying, just a really quick "Hey, wanted to let you know, I'm applying for a position at [location]," and I have an interview set up for tomorrow.

We now jump to today. Second in command of my location comes into my office, says I've been doing a really good job, we appreciate you, etc., here's an 8.5% raise. Interesting, I think...I'll take it...but I'm still interviewing tomorrow.

We jump forward again. I'm asked to go to different location to help with end of month duties because they're really struggling getting someone that can do it properly. Head guy at this location is like the supervisor over both his and my location. So, he asks me if my manager had spoken to me about my wage changes. That threw me off my feet a bit, and then he said something like "Are you looking to stay?" I feel like I stammered and started going into something about how the hours are getting cumbersome, etc. (Which they are) We didn't get a chance to finish the conversation because someone came in about something, and the supe said "We'll talk about this later..." (we didn't)

ANYWAY! (Good lord this is long) They drop this raise on me, day before my interview, I'm not quite sure what this new position would pay. Might be awfully close to what I was just given today. I don't even know what advice I'm looking for...how do you pinpoint what makes you unhappy in a job? (I mostly like the job, and most of the people I work with)

First, are you concerned with money (rhetorical question)? If so, you alkinda have your answer. If you are not fretting over financial situations then the amount of money will not change your anxiety. Then you need to take a little of your free time and write down what you would change about your job if given the option to make a change. That will let you know what your concerns are.

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but if I’m Not mistaken, you may be in your mid 30s or so, iirc. And that is a common age when people get a small midlife crisis. It may just be life anxiety more than job anxiety. Like I said, not positive but it is a possibility.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't really have a good answer for you, wish I did. I am in a somewhat similar boat but not nearly as urgent as yours. Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, what I want to do etc. I like my job but I don't want to do it for 30 more years.
I’m 50 and I’m clueless what I want to do. If I knew no kid wanted to take over, I would retire after this year (kinda too late to do it now), but it’s a career that once a family quits, that family is done forever for the most part.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kids basketball coach texts wife today that his GF has Covid so he has been exposed. Apparently the second coach listed for their game tonight is, guess who…….? Thought I was done with that.

• Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: jcyclonee and NWICY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

It's that they only decide to offer you more when they know you're looking. The lack of being proactive breeds resentment and a feeling that you aren't valued. If they offered 8% you are probably due 12-15%. Sounds like they are very dependent on you for month end and can't get someone competent. If you counter/negotiate at the new opportunity focus on responsibilities not tasks/work. Work can be automated. You have been asked to take the lead/manage month end in addition to your other responsibilities. You deserve to be compensated for that.

I will say that too many of us- especially women- take on more to be team players thinking if we show our worth it will be rewarded. In actuality, they will be loathe to pay what they were getting for free.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Kids basketball coach texts wife today that his GF has Covid so he has been exposed. Apparently the second coach listed for their game tonight is, guess who…….? Thought I was done with that.
Wait, he texted your wife or his wife? Because one is going to cause a lot more problems than the other

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I know this may be a "easier said than done" comment, but try not to get too stressed about this. If you are having a tough decision deciding between two great opportunities that is a good thing. Remember that you hold all the cards here.

Years ago Mrs. Velo was in a similar situation because she was leaving a job and her boss left just before her. She started stressing about it until I reminded her that if she ended up leaving anyway she was no worse off than before. The promotion was just gravy. She went into negotiations realizing she held all of the cards and got her best deal out of it. They knew she was leaving because she and I were getting married and I was out of state. She ended up telling them that she couldn't give them a minimum time commitment, they knew her situation and either thought she was right for the job and situation or she wasn't. In the end they offered and she took the job so we ended up living apart for the first couple years of our marriage. It was worth it for her to get the opportunity.

You are wanted badly by two employers. Use it to your advantage. I doubt if there is a wrong answer here for you so go into it with confidence and stress free.

Good luck!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Good luck on your upcoming decisions. I would suggest keeping the interview never know what maybe offered.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Hey everyone if anyone wants up to 3 WBB tickets for this Sat at 1 drop me a pm, work is interfering with play unluckily. They play TCU this game. Seats are good people around you are nice.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Dust off the whistle

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dust off the whistle
I never used a whistle in all the years. The hard part was not knowing the plays. I had picked up a little from watching their games, but found out I called in inbounds play that I figure everyone has that they hadn't been taught since I was their main coach 4 years or so ago. It's nice having an outside person coach them, allows you to watch the game more, specifically your kid. Not knowing the plays made it basically impossible to make adjustments so I told them it was just a game for reps and court time.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Saw this last night, but couldn't reply then. And I'm not sure it will help you in your decision-making process anyway.

I've been in my current job for 24 years as of tomorrow. My most recent previous job was a reporter for a farm newspaper where the pay and mileage was nearly laughable. When I saw an ad in the DM Register for my current job (that's how all jobs were advertised back then) it was a new halftime position at ISU and because of distance I didn't think it even feasible to consider. As I recall, DH encouraged me to, so I did. Several weeks later, I was offered the position at a higher rate than the advertised minimum AND higher than I was currently making at the paper in a full-time position. I asked for a few days to make my decision and asked why the higher salary offer. I think that stumped him - he said it was due to my experience.

A few days later I told my editor that I'd accepted another job and would be leaving in a few weeks. Because I didn't want them to be without someone so abruptly I said I would be there for the next few weeks and would do the Sunday farm page in the associated daily papers, too.

My editor was stunned and I literally saw him sink into his chair. Obviously this was news to him because I had not shared any job-hunting at work. He asked something, don't remember what, and we continued with our day. A day or so later he asked about the pay (I was uncomfortable with that, but told him anyway) and talked with his supervisor, the editor of the daily paper, and they came to me to match the salary of what I would be making in the new job. Politely I told them I appreciated the offer, and that I had decided I would be accepting the other job.

Long story to say it seems to me that (some) supervisors don't think think much about (some) employees when everything is getting done. When those supervisors are confronted with losing a person and the results and productivity from that person, they realize what a sudden absence will mean to themselves.

Yes, money is important, especially as a measure of your worth. And it's impossible to predict how supervisors would act in the future if you choose to stay. Most importantly, I think a person should ignore the money aspect during the consideration/deliberation process to a point - you know what it's like where you are. Are you ready for a challenge of a different position with different colleagues, different supervisor, etc.? If so, go.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Saw this last night, but couldn't reply then. And I'm not sure it will help you in your decision-making process anyway.

I've been in my current job for 24 years as of tomorrow. My most recent previous job was a reporter for a farm newspaper where the pay and mileage was nearly laughable. When I saw an ad for my current job in the DM Register (that's how all jobs were advertised back then) it was a new halftime position at ISU and because of distance I didn't think it even feasible to consider. As I recall, DH encouraged me to, so I did. Several weeks later, I was offered the position at a higher rate than the advertised minimum AND higher than I was currently making at the paper in a full-time position. I asked for a few days to make my decision and asked why the higher offer. I think that stumped him - he said it was due to my experience.

A few days later I told my editor that I'd accepted another job and would be leaving in a few weeks. Because I didn't want them to be without someone so abruptly I said I would be there for the next few weeks and would do the Sunday farm page in the associated daily papers, too.

My editor was stunned and I literally saw him sink into his chair. Obviously this was news to him because I had not shared any job-hunting at work. He asked something, don't remember what, and we continued with our day. A day or so later he asked about the pay (I was uncomfortable with that, but told him anyway) and talked with his supervisor, the editor of the daily paper, and they came to me to match the salary of what I would be making in the new job. Politely I told them I appreciated the offer, and that I had decided I would be accepting the other job.

Long story to say it seems to me that (some) supervisors don't think think much about (some) employees when everything is getting done. When those supervisors are confronted with losing a person and the results and productivity from that person, they realize what a sudden absence will mean to themselves.

Yes, money is important, especially as a measure of your worth. And it's impossible to predict how supervisors would act in the future if you choose to stay. Most importantly, I think a person should ignore the money aspect during the consideration/deliberation process to a point - you know what it's like where you are. Are you ready for a challenge of a different position with different colleagues, different supervisor, etc.? If so, go.
Definitely agree with the last part. Don’t chase money. I don’t mean to ask for raises if you are doing things well and/or taking on new responsibilities that you weren’t hired for, but too many times people think the money is the problem when it isn’t.

My last full time employed gig, a worker with a similar job quit and they handed me her job with what would be a 50cent an hour bump. Company was struggling so it didn’t phase me and they were wanting to eliminate a management position. I was content with my job and just did it, although not well since that was not my area of interest or ever had a lick of training.

I left that job for other reasons, those reasons were based on life changes. Most people change jobs due to co-workers or life changes. Why I always tell people to list the three biggest issues with their job and in that list is the reason they are not happy with their job.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

One thought I just had after reading your and Ms3r4ISU's posts, be hesitant to stay just because of the raise. Without knowing the whole situation and your true thoughts and feelings, the reason for looking elsewhere is not based on money. I like to ask myself how much money it would realistically take for me to be completely happy with my job. Obviously everybody would love to make more money, but if the amount I come up with is drastically different than my actual salary it tells me there's more than money wrong with my position.

My other thought is if your current employer heaped on a lot more responsibility beyond your current salary, I'd assume they will load more on top with the offered raise. They will see what your responsibilities were at the previous salary and expect even more for their money at the new salary.

Good luck with your decision and career!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron