Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Got a coffee at Casey’s. 1.92 register says. Then it changed and clerk says 1.79. I give a ten. She hands me my change and says 1.85. I see at least a 5 and at least 3 ones. So I think close enough with the change. I get to my vehicle and count 8.95 in change.

Didn’t take the receipt and was thoroughly confused so I just drove off.
You should have gone back in and demanded your extra $1.92 in change.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Running on little sleep this morning. My son is dealing with fluid in his ears that was eventually going to lead to a double ear infection. He woke up at 1:30 in the morning and wouldn't go back to sleep on Thursday and he woke up at 3:30 this morning. The only way he would sleep is if you held him the whole time.

He gets tubes in his ears on Wednesday so hopefully this issue will decrease.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Whooo was dispensing the better wisdom?

That's actually a terrible attempt at a multi-level pun.
Not sure, owl try to listen for them again tonight.

I could hear them from inside with the windows shut, TV on, and dryer going. Went outside to see if maybe they were perched on a house, but they must have spotted me because they went silent.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Running on little sleep this morning. My son is dealing with fluid in his ears that was eventually going to lead to a double ear infection. He woke up at 1:30 in the morning and wouldn't go back to sleep on Thursday and he woke up at 3:30 this morning. The only way he would sleep is if you held him the whole time.

We nearly went that route but tried a chiropractor first and surprisingly it helped. Good luck getting the next week or so.

• Friendly
Reactions: ScottyP

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Never did the tubes, but I'm fairly certain my elder son's ear infections made the down payment on the pediatrician's summer home. They were frequent enough that when we traveled, his pediatrician gave us a prescription for un-suspended amoxicillin that didn't need to be refrigerated until you reconstituted it with distilled water.

He grew out of the ear infections sometime around 2, 2-1/2, but then started with the strep throat 2-3x per year. I could smell it on his breath (super sweet smell) when he complained of a sore throat, and would take him straight to the doc. I swear the kid harbored that stuff in his body. No more problems once he reached adulthood.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Never did the tubes, but I'm fairly certain my elder son's ear infections made the down payment on the pediatrician's summer home. They were frequent enough that when we traveled, his pediatrician gave us a prescription for un-suspended amoxicillin that didn't need to be refrigerated until you reconstituted it with distilled water.

He grew out of the ear infections sometime around 2, 2-1/2, but then started with the strep throat 2-3x per year. I could smell it on his breath (super sweet smell) when he complained of a sore throat, and would take him straight to the doc. I swear the kid harbored that stuff in his body. No more problems once he reached adulthood.
my wife had lots of ear infections as a kid. The infections caused hearing issues which lead her to have reading issues for a while (trouble sounding out vowels). She had to get a lot of extra help with reading to get caught back up. My wife was quick to look into tubes so he didn't have the same issues she did as a child.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No one who enters retail is taught how to properly count out change. I was taught to start at the total and count the change out coins to bills ending with the amount the customer gave ("$1.85. 1.90, 2 dollars, 3, 4, 5 and 10."). I was also taught to not put the bill in the till until the customer was satisfied and walked away. You had proof when they say, "Hey, I gave you a twenty and you gave me change for a ten." "No, ma'am, the ten is still right here." It is aggravating at a drive up window to have someone place bills on your palm and then they try to pile a bunch of loose change on top of the bills.

Also, even banks don't face bills (turn them so they are all front side up all facing the same way) anymore. I was taught that it is easy to see a non-matching bill when you are counting them out if they are all faced. It is also easy to see if someone tries to count out bills and has slipped one folded in half in the stack so it gets counted twice.

Yeah, after COVID I started using a card for pretty much everything and I'm probably not going back.

I had some hopes that cash would become less common with COVID, but no such luck.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
my wife had lots of ear infections as a kid. The infections caused hearing issues which lead her to have reading issues for a while (trouble sounding out vowels). She had to get a lot of extra help with reading to get caught back up. My wife was quick to look into tubes so he didn't have the same issues she did as a child.
We were lucky in that it didn't seem to affect his hearing much. The tube technology was still pretty new back then (he was born in Dec 1977) and there was much debate on whether or not to tube.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
LittleWx also ended up with stomach issues due to all of the antibiotics. He ended up with CDiff and on a probiotic to straighten it out.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
When I pull up my ESPN app on my phone. 80% of the videos on there are Stephen A. Smith giving his opinions on things. They must be paying him a ton of money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You should have gone back in and demanded your extra $1.92 in change.
I would have probably lost money with her counting.

Whenever people make change or I’m in a bank, I count it as they pull the money out. That way I know what I have. This chick was just grabbing random change. Knowing I’d get a nickel to a quarter back I just stopped when her hand dipped in the change twice.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I went through what your wife did.

• Friendly
Reactions: ScottyP

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Power raked my yard last weekend. At lunch I ran out and finished raking. After I log off today I'll bag up what's left. I figure 25-26 bags of dead grass.
I took 13 to the dump yesterday. Tomorrow they have a free dump off day so I'll load the rest in the pickup in the morning and then go get in line.

Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Power raked my yard last weekend. At lunch I ran out and finished raking. After I log off today I'll bag up what's left. I figure 25-26 bags of dead grass.
I took 13 to the dump yesterday. Tomorrow they have a free dump off day so I'll load the rest in the pickup in the morning and then go get in line.
Get a tarp, put it down and put the grass on that. When you get to the dump, just pull the tarp out and all the grass is done in one pull.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone
Status
Not open for further replies.