Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
He was big into hunting, guns, racing, used to build model cars etc.
Ok, I have none of those interests so this will be slightly harder. I'll try to think of something relevant though.

But as an off the wall idea, how about gardening? It's better if you can do it outside, but you can definitely have plants inside over the winter. I don't know about how your grandpa's dexterity is right now, but apart from seeds you don't need to grip anything small and you don't have to do anything quickly. You also see noticeable progress fairly quickly.

Reactions: madguy30

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Grandpa has been home for a couple days. Mom and aunt are going to have "the talk" with him Saturday. He was working before all this went down, so that and caretaker plans are the main 2 taking points.

Anybody have ideas for hobbies for him? He cant stay idle, and having to not work with be hard enough on him.

What kind of work was he doing?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What are happened to that 22 year-old college student who I think was just getting engaged?

Just realized I parked in my old spot. Pickup got stolen here so best to park elsewhere.

Reactions: RunninMan

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Security stuff, essentially just checking people in and out of the work place.
I'm assuming "the talk" refers to him not being able to drive or live alone?

Jigsaw puzzles are good for hand-eye coordination and brain stimulation. There are lots of sizes, cut complexities, and shapes. Wildlife and hunting dogs are popular themes for puzzles.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Disturbing thought of the evening. If we descend into post apocalypse anarchy next week I do not have an ample supply of wine laid in here. Pretty good on scotch and I figure I'll eat squirrels and giant white-tailed woodrats so won't starve right off. Will be cold though, figure Russian hackers will shut off the gas.

• Optimistic
Reactions: oldman

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Disturbing thought of the evening. If we descend into post apocalypse anarchy next week I do not have an ample supply of wine laid in here. Pretty good on scotch and I figure I'll eat squirrels and giant white-tailed woodrats so won't starve right off. Will be cold though, figure Russian hackers will shut off the gas.

Be sure to stock up on these:
1604058446957.png

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not to sound all cave-y, but it occurred to me yesterday as I was throwing away yet another expensive pile of slick, colorful campaign ads from the mailbox, that these candidates have spent an extraordinary amount of money on waste. The vixen and I routinely mute any campaign commercial anymore.

Do you think these candidates are that ignorant?

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV and ScottyP

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not to sound all cave-y, but it occurred to me yesterday as I was throwing away yet another expensive pile of slick, colorful campaign ads from the mailbox, that these candidates have spent an extraordinary amount of money on waste. The vixen and I routinely mute any campaign commercial anymore.

Do you think these candidates are that ignorant?
While the candidates themselves send out a lot of it I believe the majority is sent by PACs. It's incredible the amount of money that is spent on elections anymore.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My wife is watching "This Is Us"

No idea why she would put herself through this....

Or me for that matter
After one of the girls weekends that my wife went on I asked her how it was. Her response was, "It was so great. We cried so much."

My response (at least in my head) was "That's nice. Now tell me about the pillow fights."

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
After on of the girls weekends that my wife went on I asked her how it was. Her response was, "It was so great. We cried so much."

My response (at least in my head) was "That's nice. Now tell me about the pillow fights."

I see the uncut version of Animal House is still important to you. It makes me laugh to this day thinking of Belushi hopping that ladder along the house window to window then tipping over over backwards.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Be sure to stock up on these:
View attachment 77198
Went to our City Hall Wednesday to vote early. I knew we were in trouble when the line was quite a ways outside and a staffer was handing out those handwarmers. Meh, let's see how fast the line moves. We went about noon and I had a meeting at 1. After about ten minutes and the line moving what appeared to be about two people a lady walks by and says, "Just so you know you have about a two and a half hour wait." Nope. I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes at my regular polling place on election day. With all of this early voting even if there is larger than normal turnout it shouldn't even be that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.