Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well evidently mouse migration 2020 is underway. Caught 2 last nite time to check all the traps and make sure there is fresh bait on all of them.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well evidently mouse migration 2020 is underway. Caught 2 last nite time to check all the traps and make sure there is fresh bait on all of them.
With our house siding job going on, there are bound to be openings we didn't know about. I need to get traps back in the garage. The basement is a big mess of stuff right now that needs to be gone through, but I suppose I can find enough places here and there for traps. Several weeks ago there was (all of a sudden) an awful "dead" smell in the basement and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally found a trap that had been set and left many, many months ago. With a stiff dead mouse in it. Sigh.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yes, I lost both my parents and a brother in a five year period. Brother passed away 1 month after Dad. After Mom passed one of my sisters asked if they would ever see me again as they lived in the same town as Mom and the only time I saw them was when I went to visit Mom & Dad.
It makes me think that when I retire I should try to move someplace closer to them.
We three sisters are in Texas, Washington & Iowa. Lew & I do most of the traveling because "Iowa is boring". The last time they were both here was my 50th birthday. The only other time they were both here was ten years before that, at our wedding. The Washington sis has been here once since my birthday. The Texas sis, never. She really doesn't like traveling unless it's expensive. Iowa's not expensive. :D

I don't expect that to change, but Lew & I will still travel to see them. We're not moving closer to either of them. I like the distance!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I don’t know my sisters thoughts. She said she was concerned about family gatherings basically falling apart, but neither of my sisters made an effort to visit mom. They would wait to have me bring her to them. There was a point where I was getting close to hourly calls from mom because she was getting lonely, I asked my sisters the last time they spoke to mom, they said she hadn’t called them in a couple weeks. That told me they didn’t reach out themselves.
Now you REALLY sound like Lew. One sister lives with his mom, another lives a few blocks away in the same small town. The others see her rarely.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Mice was one reason Mom fed the feral cats. There used to be one that eventually died and they started getting mice, a lot of them. Once this other pregnant feral showed up and got fed the mice problem went away. Some days there would be up to 10 cats hanging around outside the patio door waiting to be fed.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We deer hunt just north of here. The gal who owns the property encourages us to shoot any coyote we see,, because they will kill the farm cats and then the mice get out of hand.

I don't have the heart to tell her that 1) Shooting coyotes during deer season is illegal and 2) If I shoot a coyote, I may scare a deer away.

Point is, cats have a very important place in the system.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Just out of curiosity, have any of you had venison (deer meat) before? It has no cholesterol, very little fat, and is very high in iron and protein. I have several ways to cook it that are extremely tasty. And deer are becoming more and more of a nuisance in many areas.

Average number of deer/vehicle accidents in the state of Wisconsin on a typical day: 58

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I've had venison burgers, and my aunt, the sneaky one, used deer meat in spaghetti once. I didn't realize it with the spaghetti until something was said. The venison burger was about the size of a hockey puck and reallllllyy dense.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Just out of curiosity, have any of you had venison (deer meat) before? It has no cholesterol, very little fat, and is very high in iron and protein. I have several ways to cook it that are extremely tasty. And deer are becoming more and more of a nuisance in many areas.

Average number of deer/vehicle accidents in the state of Wisconsin on a typical day: 58

I've had grilled venison tenderloin and the usual deer sticks similar to a slim jim. I found both to be tasty but I don't hunt so don't have regular access to any.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I've had venison burgers, and my aunt, the sneaky one, used deer meat in spaghetti once. I didn't realize it with the spaghetti until something was said. The venison burger was about the size of a hockey puck and reallllllyy dense.
Tenderize the living crap out of it and cook it reaallllllly low & slow. My grandmother made wonderful venison sausage, and Lew can make a pretty good stroganoff out of it. I've never cared for the ground venison recipies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The key with ground venison is to mix it with about 20% pork fat. Since venison isn't marbled - at all - it tends to get very dry quickly. KC is right when she says low and slow, and braising works well too. Using gravy with it works, too.

On the grill, I wrap it with bacon and cook it very hot and very fast. Even if the inside is red (but HOT) it tastes pretty good.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I've had venison and yeah it's definitely leaner.

There are a few people out there that you'd never be able to convince that the deer population is that high since they don't see many during their deer season and blame it on other sources.

I see them all the time pretty much anywhere.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Jaws of Death nailed three in the garage last week. Cleaned my two Warhawks and set one in the garage outside the door into the house and one in the basement hall. Nothing in the house yet, nailing them in the garage before they decide to come in further or take up residence in one of my cars.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With our house siding job going on, there are bound to be openings we didn't know about. I need to get traps back in the garage. The basement is a big mess of stuff right now that needs to be gone through, but I suppose I can find enough places here and there for traps. Several weeks ago there was (all of a sudden) an awful "dead" smell in the basement and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally found a trap that had been set and left many, many months ago. With a stiff dead mouse in it. Sigh.

Went through three boxes of stuff yesterday that I had carted home from work when we moved offices years ago. All landscape architect stuff. Lots of design references from plants to campgrounds to bike trails to aesthetic assessment etc. Tossed it all. Probably don't need those design details from Smith-Voorhess-Jensen where I worked in 1977. :rolleyes: Guess I am finally finished with thinking I might still be a landscape architect. I didn't even use this stuff at work anymore since I'd sold out and went management.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Went through three boxes of stuff yesterday that I had carted home from work when we moved offices years ago. All landscape architect stuff. Lots of design references from plants to campgrounds to bike trails to aesthetic assessment etc. Tossed it all. Probably don't need those design details from Smith-Voorhess-Jensen where I worked in 1977. :rolleyes: Guess I am finally finished with thinking I might still be a landscape architect. I didn't even use this stuff at work anymore since I'd sold out and went management.
I just deleted the rest of my work files backups from my old laptop before giving it to Lew's mom. There was still a tiny pang of "maybe I should move them to my storage drive, they really don't take up a lot of space". :oops::rolleyes:

November 17th will mark our third "retireaversary", and two weeks after I left my office for the last time, they shut down the lab altogether. It reopened partially, but last I heard, it's a bare shadow of what it used to be. My boss never DID know all the stuff I did around there, or how to do it in my absence.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Here is the loaf of English Muffin bread that I baked. Being that the recipe calls for 500 grams of flour (4 cups) so I felt my Pullman loaf pan would be a bit small as most loaves I bake are about 3.5 cups. So I baked it using the poor man's Dutch over method.

PXL_20201028_180113771.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron