Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Just got a text from a friend who said their sons graduation thank you was returned. Apparently the new phone book has me living at a different address. No biggie, but it happens to be the nursing home........I’m not that bad yet!!
The oddest thing I find about this is the fact that somebody's still using the phone book.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Our homecoming was last week. The school put out a video from each court candidate getting asked why the student body should vote for them. Evidently all of the girls gave some little, kind of silly reason. Evidently all of the boys said that they should vote for somebody else.
My son was this way. One odd kid campaigned and won since nobody else wanted it.

Reactions: jcyclonee

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So I lost my best friend last week. I grew up with him, we have been besties since we were kids and more like brothers than anything. He had COPD, was driving a dump truck and while dumping on unstable ground it tipped over. He broke 3 ribs and partially collapsed a lung. He was in the ICU at Iowa Methodist, they intubated him plus he had to be sedated, as when he was conscious he fought the respirator. Eventually developed pneumonia in both lungs, and got ARDS. They were hoping he could heal himself, but his lungs were just too compromised from years of heavy smoking. My world is much different now.

I thank God for RTT and my friends who lift me up so often. Bless you all. Hug your loved ones tight every chance you get.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So I lost my best friend last week. I grew up with him, we have been besties since we were kids and more like brothers than anything. He had COPD, was driving a dump truck and while dumping on unstable ground it tipped over. He broke 3 ribs and partially collapsed a lung. He was in the ICU at Iowa Methodist, they intubated him plus he had to be sedated, as when he was conscious he fought the respirator. Eventually developed pneumonia in both lungs, and got ARDS. They were hoping he could heal himself, but his lungs were just too compromised from years of heavy smoking. My world is much different now.

I thank God for RTT and my friends who lift me up so often. Bless you all. Hug your loved ones tight every chance you get.
Keep plugging brother, best option we have. Praying for yours and his family.

Reactions: SCyclone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I saw that on the news yesterday. Sorry for your fandom...but I did find it, well, entertaining that after all of the posturing the B1G did, something like this occurred.
Yeah, it's not surprising someone got it. No reason to think they'd be immune when lots of teams have been dealing with this

Any idea when Coan is supposed to be back?
Last I saw he was out indefinitely, and I haven't heard an update.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lots of noise around our house today, literally. The process of residing and replacing gutters and downspouts has become. First talked with someone in June, materials ordered in August, delivered last Wednesday.
At least my necessary online sessions are fewer this week. I think.

Quiet here, finally. Master bath that started first week of August is finally done. Had to wait another couple of weeks for glass install as guys broke one of the 3/8" thick tempered glass panels during installation. Heard a large CRACK BOOM followed by the sound of thousands of tempered glass pieces hitting the tile.

bathroom cf scale.jpg .

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Quiet here, finally. Master bath that started first week of August is finally done. Had to wait another couple of weeks for glass install as guys broke one of the 3/8" thick tempered glass panels during installation. Heard a large CRACK BOOM followed by the sound of thousands of tempered glass pieces hitting the tile.

View attachment 77024 .

Looks almost too nice to use.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

View attachment 77024 .
2 sinks.......a C?W that we don’t know about?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

View attachment 77024 .
Is that wall the kind that frosts over when you walk behind it?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So I know for sure now that Z has a least favorite teacher in the online setup. She acts completely differently when this person does the videos for a section. Wiggly, squirmy, doesn't really focus on what's going on.
For everyone else, she interacts with the video and has a blast.

This same teacher caused Z concern for their math test on Friday. She gave these lengthy directions to kids that had done this twice already, and messed up a key point when she told the kids that you can't change an answer once you enter it. You can, and we have. You just can't do that after you hit "submit."

Due to that, Z didn't go back and check, even though she wanted to. She missed 1 (like it would really matter), and that didn't sit well with her at all.

This also would be the teacher whose review video we skipped. I wonder if this is going to be a trend for just that one.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So I know for sure now that Z has a least favorite teacher in the online setup. She acts completely differently when this person does the videos for a section. Wiggly, squirmy, doesn't really focus on what's going on.
For everyone else, she interacts with the video and has a blast.

This same teacher caused Z concern for their math test on Friday. She gave these lengthy directions to kids that had done this twice already, and messed up a key point when she told the kids that you can't change an answer once you enter it. You can, and we have. You just can't do that after you hit "submit."

Due to that, Z didn't go back and check, even though she wanted to. She missed 1 (like it would really matter), and that didn't sit well with her at all.

This also would be the teacher whose review video we skipped. I wonder if this is going to be a trend for just that one.
Do they have multiple teachers per grade normally, or is this just a result of the online setup?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Do they have multiple teachers per grade normally, or is this just a result of the online setup?

I may be wrong, but I think it's due to the online setup. They're rotating through subjects.
Z lights up for two of them, and not for the third.

With the related arts stuff, she does this for the music, library, and art teachers. The PE one, she thinks the stuff is fun, but he loses her as he drones on forever.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Interesting. My boys were in a smaller school system. I don't recall separate teachers for anything prior to 5th grade. They're in their early 40s now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I may be wrong, but I think it's due to the online setup. They're rotating through subjects.
Z lights up for two of them, and not for the third.

With the related arts stuff, she does this for the music, library, and art teachers. The PE one, she thinks the stuff is fun, but he loses her as he drones on forever.

Covid has been a really good chance for some folks to learn that less can be more, i.e. less words, more internal meaningful independent work and instead some just add more to make it harder or less engaging.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Covid has been a really good chance for some folks to learn that less can be more, i.e. less words, more internal meaningful independent work and instead some just add more to make it harder or less engaging.

In this case, this least favorite doesn't usually drone on and on per se, but for Z's case, she pretty much does. She repeats stuff that others might (emphasize might) need repeated, but Z had down a loooooong time ago.

But her 10 minutes of exam directions was droning on, and being inaccurate like that loses a lot of points with this kiddo.

Status
Not open for further replies.