Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Haven't seen anything like that. I'd be leery.
Yeah, I agree. I'd imagine it's like the IRS, if they're going to do anything it'll be by mail (or they'll send someone to say hi).

Also, Cooler, I agree with what a lot of other people said (especially KC and Velo). I think one thing to consider is why you think she did it. Did she just not know any better (but would feel terrible if she did) or did she just not care? Because if it's the first one, you can probably just get away with "Hey, I had just spent quite a bit of time raking my yard and was really disappointed to see that. Please don't do it again." If you think she doesn't really care, then you may want to add on the "and if you do I'll put them back in your yard."

Then again, I'm not a homeowner, so what do I know?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Long story, feel free to skip. I'm looking for advice.

Backstory: My next door neighbor is a single mom with an 8 year old son who was in an abusive relationship prior to moving next to me. She shared all that with me during our first conversation, which was a little odd, but it was cool that she was comfortable sharing that.

She's pretty rough around the edges, but has been friendly for the most part. I've offered my help with a few things since I really can't imagine going through stuff like that by yourself. (end back story)

This past weekend, I was outside early, raked 2 bags of leaves in the morning, then another 2 bags 6 hours later. She had witnessed me both times either as she was leaving or coming back home. All told, I had 12 bags of leaves at the end of my driveway (since I had added to my previous tally)

About an hour after going inside and cleaning up, I hear a noise outside. I glance out the window and see my neighbor smoking a cigarette while using her leaf blower. I watched her blow them off her driveway into the street (irritating) and then blow them off her lawn into my lawn (way more irritating)!

I stood there amazed in a WTF moment, but I figured I'd wait to see if she was going to pick them up before over-reacting.

Nope. Turned that sucker off and then walked back into her house.

I gave her one free pass and ended up raking up her stuff the next day as more leaves had accumulated again, but what would you have done? I've been pretty sympathetic and would have gladly helped her rake if she asked, but I feel like this was a total ******* move.

Buy yourself a leaf blower if you don't have one, blow them back into her yard. If she does it again after that blow them up against her house and drop a lit cigarette (of her brand) into the pile. That'll cure the problem.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watched the "new" Pet Semetary last night with Mrs. Velo. I don't think I had ever seen all of the original. Now I am going to have to read the book since I can't imagine King leaving the ending like that.
Watched it tonight. Now it's been over 30 years since I read it but the first 30 minutes seemed somewhat consistent with the book. After that was completely different. Especially the ending.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
TV or radio? Either way, the traffic director is extremely subpar. (Traffic director is the person that schedules/places where the commercials play) If that's happened more than once and in different days...that station really DGAF.

Friend of mine in HS had a "more difficult than normal" last name. Anytime she picked up the phone and there was the slightest hesitation between the words "Mr/Mrs" and their last name, she'd counter with
Friend: [Last Name]?
Telemarketer: Yes!
Friend: Sorry, not interested.
Radio

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Backstory: My next door neighbor is a single mom with an 8 year old son who was in an abusive relationship prior to moving next to me. She shared all that with me during our first conversation, which was a little odd, but it was cool that she was comfortable sharing that.

She's pretty rough around the edges, but has been friendly for the most part. I've offered my help with a few things since I really can't imagine going through stuff like that by yourself. (end back story)

This past weekend, I was outside early, raked 2 bags of leaves in the morning, then another 2 bags 6 hours later. She had witnessed me both times either as she was leaving or coming back home. All told, I had 12 bags of leaves at the end of my driveway (since I had added to my previous tally)

About an hour after going inside and cleaning up, I hear a noise outside. I glance out the window and see my neighbor smoking a cigarette while using her leaf blower. I watched her blow them off her driveway into the street (irritating) and then blow them off her lawn into my lawn (way more irritating)!

I stood there amazed in a WTF moment, but I figured I'd wait to see if she was going to pick them up before over-reacting.

I gave her one free pass and ended up raking up her stuff the next day as more leaves had accumulated again, but what would you have done? I've been pretty sympathetic and would have gladly helped her rake if she asked, but I feel like this was a total ******* move.
Rake the leaves up, bag them and put the bag on the drive/sidewalk where she blew them from (if you want to be passive/aggressive) or do what I would do and wait for the second time and then walk out and tell her to stop doing that and blow them back into her yard. Or you can do what my mom did, wait for them to come outside and then go outside so they see you blow them back in their lawn and not say anything to them.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I'm with you. I'd give her one free pass and then go speak with her about it offering to help next time. It's OK to have a next door neighbor that you have little to no relationship with. You don't want to have a next door neighbor that you have a bad relationship with. I think I ended two sentences in a row with a preposition.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm with you. I'd give her one free pass and then go speak with her about it offering to help next time. It's OK to have a next door neighbor that you have little to no relationship with. You don't want to have a next door neighbor that you have a bad relationship with. I think I ended two sentences in a row with a preposition.
I had a jerk move in by us. Then sold moms house to a psycho. They now fight and its kinda fun.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
You are consistent.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jcyclonee

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
And now that the ex-English major is on a roll, count how many times coaches say "We've got" or "They've got" or other such. Have got? Really?

OK, I'm done.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Worse than ending a sentence with a preposition is ending a sentence with the word "at". As in, "Where are the cookies at?" :mad:
did-someone-say-cookies

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
And now that the ex-English major is on a roll, count how many times coaches say "We've got" or "They've got" or other such. Have got? Really?

OK, I'm done.
I hate when CMC says "exspecially" and he says it quite often. You would think that for someone who makes lot of public speeches, somebody close would tell him how to pronounce that correctly.

Now I'm done, too.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Also, prepare yourselves for mass quantities of typos. My desktop is at the computer hospital for a tune-up, and I'm typing on my new, considerably smaller laptop with the distinctly UNergonomic keyboard. It's going to take some time getting used to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.