Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Long story, feel free to skip. I'm looking for advice.

Backstory: My next door neighbor is a single mom with an 8 year old son who was in an abusive relationship prior to moving next to me. She shared all that with me during our first conversation, which was a little odd, but it was cool that she was comfortable sharing that.

She's pretty rough around the edges, but has been friendly for the most part. I've offered my help with a few things since I really can't imagine going through stuff like that by yourself. (end back story)

This past weekend, I was outside early, raked 2 bags of leaves in the morning, then another 2 bags 6 hours later. She had witnessed me both times either as she was leaving or coming back home. All told, I had 12 bags of leaves at the end of my driveway (since I had added to my previous tally)

About an hour after going inside and cleaning up, I hear a noise outside. I glance out the window and see my neighbor smoking a cigarette while using her leaf blower. I watched her blow them off her driveway into the street (irritating) and then blow them off her lawn into my lawn (way more irritating)!

I stood there amazed in a WTF moment, but I figured I'd wait to see if she was going to pick them up before over-reacting.

Nope. Turned that sucker off and then walked back into her house.

I gave her one free pass and ended up raking up her stuff the next day as more leaves had accumulated again, but what would you have done? I've been pretty sympathetic and would have gladly helped her rake if she asked, but I feel like this was a total ******* move.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We have a last name that people often get wrong, so whenever my dad gets telemarketer (and sometimes political) calls where they mispronounce our name he'll just say they have the wrong number and hang up.
With my first name, I have always received cold calls and junk mail for Mr. XXXXXXX. Gets annoying during the political season.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
My favorite responses, though -
From me - caller asks for me using my previous married name. I sweetly replied "she doesn't exist anymore" and hung up. Let THEM figure out what that means.

From Lew - after we replaced the windows & siding on our previous house we started getting calls (usually during the dinner hour) trying to sell us...wait for it...siding and/or windows. Lew started asking them what time we should show up at their place for supper. One guy he kept on the line for 20 minutes trying to sell the telemarketer a boat.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

Backstory: My next door neighbor is a single mom with an 8 year old son who was in an abusive relationship prior to moving next to me. She shared all that with me during our first conversation, which was a little odd, but it was cool that she was comfortable sharing that.

She's pretty rough around the edges, but has been friendly for the most part. I've offered my help with a few things since I really can't imagine going through stuff like that by yourself. (end back story)

This past weekend, I was outside early, raked 2 bags of leaves in the morning, then another 2 bags 6 hours later. She had witnessed me both times either as she was leaving or coming back home. All told, I had 12 bags of leaves at the end of my driveway (since I had added to my previous tally)

About an hour after going inside and cleaning up, I hear a noise outside. I glance out the window and see my neighbor smoking a cigarette while using her leaf blower. I watched her blow them off her driveway into the street (irritating) and then blow them off her lawn into my lawn (way more irritating)!

I stood there amazed in a WTF moment, but I figured I'd wait to see if she was going to pick them up before over-reacting.

I gave her one free pass and ended up raking up her stuff the next day as more leaves had accumulated again, but what would you have done? I've been pretty sympathetic and would have gladly helped her rake if she asked, but I feel like this was a total ******* move.
Politely tell her that you have enough leaves, thank you very much, and would appreciate it if she didn't share hers?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

I would have been pissed off, for sure. Not sure exactly what I would have done. Probably mulled it over for awhile until a decent solution came to me.

I guess I might try gently explaining why what she did was not being a good neighbor, and see what her reaction was. I'm guessing most people will realize what they did and apologize.

On the other hand, if she's been in an abusive relationship, who knows what she's learned to be like?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Is putting leaves in the street/in someone's yard a legality thing?

It's pretty passive, but maybe just tell her that kind of a thing gets ticketed in the area, maybe offer up the rake for her to borrow or give the kiddo an outside task.

There are some people where some things are done by what they learned or have always just known, and nothing different, that seem really different to others, and vice versa.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I would have been pissed off, for sure. Not sure exactly what I would have done. Probably mulled it over for awhile until a decent solution came to me.

I guess I might try gently explaining why what she did was not being a good neighbor, and see what her reaction was. I'm guessing most people will realize what they did and apologize.

On the other hand, if she's been in an abusive relationship, who knows what she's learned to be like?

This was my thought process when I was defusing myself. I normally err on the side of "being taken advantage of" versus "reacting how I want to react and regretting it later". I'm sure I've been a sucker more times than other people, but I also know my guilt is pretty brutal.

Thanks for the input.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Is putting leaves in the street/in someone's yard a legality thing?

It's pretty passive, but maybe just tell her that kind of a thing gets ticketed in the area, maybe offer up the rake for her to borrow or give the kiddo an outside task.

There are some people where some things are done by what they learned or have always just known, and nothing different, that seem really different to others, and vice versa.

I doubt that there's anything illegal per se, more a "be a decent person" thing. Maybe our HOA has something in it, but <shrug>.

While I'm usually patient to a fault, I have a low tolerance for people completely disregarding others and my temper for such things is more unrefined than I'd prefer. In other words,. I tend to snap at ********. Knowing her history, I'd opted to take a deep breath and give her a pass instead of reinforcing her opinion that all men are jerks.

Reactions: NWICY

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I doubt that there's anything illegal per se, more a "be a decent person" thing. Maybe our HOA has something in it, but <shrug>.

While I'm usually patient to a fault, I have a low tolerance for people completely disregarding others and my temper for such things is more unrefined than I'd prefer. In other words,. I tend to snap at ********. Knowing her history, I'd opted to take a deep breath and give her a pass instead of reinforcing her opinion that all men are jerks.

There are some cities that could issue a ticket/fine for blowing leaves/grass clippings into the street. It pollutes the storm water system.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Guy running for the house needs advertising help. Routinely has the same ad playing 3 times in a row. Also they are all about career politicians, the other guy is new also. Maybe at least have three different commercials or spread them out over the hour.

TV or radio? Either way, the traffic director is extremely subpar. (Traffic director is the person that schedules/places where the commercials play) If that's happened more than once and in different days...that station really DGAF.

We have a last name that people often get wrong, so whenever my dad gets telemarketer (and sometimes political) calls where they mispronounce our name he'll just say they have the wrong number and hang up.

Friend of mine in HS had a "more difficult than normal" last name. Anytime she picked up the phone and there was the slightest hesitation between the words "Mr/Mrs" and their last name, she'd counter with
Friend: [Last Name]?
Telemarketer: Yes!
Friend: Sorry, not interested.

Reactions: WooBadger18

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
@VeloClone

The B12 elimination game you're still in? I screwed up the very first week and mapped out the whole season, then forgot to post my first week's pick. I didn't realize it until the KU/BU game was the only one that hadn't yet kicked off, so I had to pick them...which then screwed up the rest of my picks since you can't pick against the same team two weeks in a row. I was eliminated in week 2. However, using my original picks I've been playing along behind the scenes. I had already slated the WVU win for this week, but changed my tiebreakers to fit this week's rules, and entered them on my spreadsheet earlier this week.

Here's the funny part...
Up to and including this week, you & I have matched pick for pick, INCLUDING all the tiebreakers. Have you been hacking my computer???

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
@VeloClone

The B12 elimination game you're still in? I screwed up the very first week and mapped out the whole season, then forgot to post my first week's pick. I didn't realize it until the KU/BU game was the only one that hadn't yet kicked off, so I had to pick them...which then screwed up the rest of my picks since you can't pick against the same team two weeks in a row. I was eliminated in week 2. However, using my original picks I've been playing along behind the scenes. I had already slated the WVU win for this week, but changed my tiebreakers to fit this week's rules, and entered them on my spreadsheet earlier this week.

Here's the funny part...
Up to and including this week, you & I have matched pick for pick, INCLUDING all the tiebreakers. Have you been hacking my computer???
I'm still in. I had mapped something like I always do, but not as much as years past. I figured I would have to revamp and I sure did after some teams (KSU) were better than expected and others were worse as well as some teams screwing things up by getting COVID outbreaks.

I guess it just means that you were smarter than me from the start - except for that not getting your pick in thing. :p

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm still in. I had mapped something like I always do, but not as much as years past. I figured I would have to revamp and I sure did after some teams (KSU) were better than expected and others were worse as well as some teams screwing things up by getting COVID outbreaks.

I guess it just means that you were smarter than me from the start - except for that not getting you pick in thing. :p
Yeah...that's kind of why I've been playing along...just because of this crap. I want to see how far I would have made it if I hadn't been so damn stupid!

Also, I should have said, I chose my winners for the season, but I have been selecting the tie-breakers on Sundays based on info from ESPN on their game casts.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'd mull it over and be ready to blow them back over.
Assuming that she asks what you're doing in a nasty manner, I'd smile and say "Oh, I thought this was our thing now." Then keep on until she gets the point.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

There are a select few people that feel like if leaves come from my neighbor's trees they are their problem and I am going to blow them into their yard. Luckily we all have trees and we share our leaves.

It was a **** move and you should tell her that you raked them up for her, but next time you are going to blow them back along with all of your leaves if she tries it again. That was majorly uncool.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah...that's kind of why I've been playing along...just because of this crap. I want to see how far I would have made it if I hadn't been so damn stupid!

Also, I should have said, I chose my winners for the season, but I have been selecting the tie-breakers on Sundays based on info from ESPN on their game casts.
I use a combination of Big 12 stats in a spreadsheet to figure out my tie-breaker picks (@cowgirl836 would be so proud!). I have been doing pretty well so far this year. I also try to map out my season so I get a lot of road teams for that tie breaker point. Well when I had to readjust I lost a lot of road games - but I guess it is better to be in it...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Especially while smoking! That's where I thought your story was headed.
If you're in an HOA, do you also have a busybody resident who just looks for people doing the wrong thing? Find somebody like that to send out a reminder letter about no moving leaves off one's property unless they're being bagged for removal. Maybe a warning note taped to her door.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Did anyone else get a text request from the Official Census Bureau asking you to answer a survey on COVID-19 crisis? Looks really odd to me. The provided URL looks legit, but I'm sure it can be faked in texts just like email.

Status
Not open for further replies.