Not open for further replies.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My new tee-shirt has NEVER been more appropriate:
Ich hasse Morgenmenschen.
Und Morgen.
Und Menschen.

Set my alarm for 7 this morning, got up, got dressed, headed into Ames for an 8.15 doctor's appt. Left a few minutes later than I planned only to find out that HW30 is one lane & 55mph all the way to Ames. Yay.
Of course my mental autopilot took me straight to McFarland North (up on the northern tip of Stange, past the north Fareway), where my doctor has been for the last 10 to 15 years. He is now housed at the new McFarland South (extreme southern tip of University Blvd.
Despite ALL of that, and getting behind the most honest drivers in Ames who drove precisely 34mph on Stange and 40mph on University (it's 45 once you get to S 4th)...I was still only 10 minutes late for my appointment. Discovered my mask had apparently fallen out of my purse on the way out to the car. Had to scrounge around the glovebox for a disposable one.

I had to wait for two other people to check in before me. When I finally got up to the window, the nice lady takes my name and seems to have trouble finding me. So I helpfully explained that she might have to scroll back just a tad because I'm a little late. Nope. I'm not on the list. Then she looks at me and says "I have you on the schedule for NEXT Monday..."

I have to do this ALL OVER AGAIN NEXT MONDAY!!!
ICH HASSE MORGEN!!! UND INSBESONDERE MONTAGMORGEN!!!

Somewhat similar case. Son had tested positive for Covid and one of the follow-ups was an EKG and bloodwork. Scheduled for 10 am on Monday. Got the email confirming appointment from Student Health (or as we called it back in the day Student Death). No problem. We get there and "what is his name again?" Are you sure you have an appointment?" "Who gave you the appointment?" I politely showed them the email they sent us.... the old "hold on a minute while I check on this." About 10 minutes later she comes back and says, "Yes, we have him scheduled for 11:50" I was almost going to throat punch the gal, but again I showed here the appointment time. She told us to have a seat. At 10:04 they called his name. BTW not our regular clinic but Unity Health Sports Medicine in Urbandale.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I used to have sciatica problems. I changed up two things and don't have the issue anymore. I quit carrying my wallet in my back pocket and we got a new, softer mattress.
I still keep my wallet in my back pocket but if I am going to be driving more than just in town I take it out and put it on the center console, Same thing with the bike, Either in the front windshield pouch or my vest pocket if wearing a vest. A lot of times I will take it out of my pocket at work and just stick in the drawer. Unfortunately that leads to times of driving home and realizing I left it in the office.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Wallets in back pockets...

Lew has a pair of "working jeans" that have holes in both knees and elsewhere, like the bottom of the back right pocket (where he puts his wallet). After finding his wallet on the floor twice because he forgot about the hole, I cut the entire pocket off so that he can't absentmindedly put his wallet in there. It really messes with his head to have to put it in the left pocket...kind of like me always putting my purse strap on my right shoulder.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Lew has a pair of "working jeans" that have holes in both knees and elsewhere, like the bottom of the back right pocket (where he puts his wallet). After finding his wallet on the floor twice because he forgot about the hole, I cut the entire pocket off so that he can't absentmindedly put his wallet in there. It really messes with his head to have to put it in the left pocket...kind of like me always putting my purse strap on my right shoulder.
I've had lots of old jeans with that same problem

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

So now you can just pick it up right away when he puts it in the phantom back pocket rather than having to wait until it falls out?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Want to know what adds to the joys of having to move from TX to CA on relatively short notice, during a pandemic, with a completely different moving company and procedures (compared to the last 3 moves I've done)? Being on the edge of the cone for another major hurricane!!o_O

• Dislike
Reactions: jcyclonee

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So I started that new workout diet thing yesterday. Workouts are phenomenal. Getting used to the eating. Felt like I was going to puke during today's workout so that was fun. #CoolStoryBro

SIL stopped by yesterday to notify us that her husband told her that he doesn't love her anymore and is seeing to some extent some coworker of his. Claims it hasn't gone physical yet but who knows. He has mostly checked out and is only really thinking of himself. I obviously feel bad for her but am the only one who is basically writing it all off right now. Maybe I am the ******* but that is a hell of a lot of trust that would need to be repaired. I basically told her it has been hard but the hardest part is yet to come.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So I started that new workout diet thing yesterday. Workouts are phenomenal. Getting used to the eating. Felt like I was going to puke during today's workout so that was fun. #CoolStoryBro

SIL stopped by yesterday to notify us that her husband told her that he doesn't love her anymore and is seeing to some extent some coworker of his. Claims it hasn't gone physical yet but who knows. He has mostly checked out and is only really thinking of himself. I obviously feel bad for her but am the only one who is basically writing it all off right now. Maybe I am the ******* but that is a hell of a lot of trust that would need to be repaired. I basically told her it has been hard but the hardest part is yet to come.
They have any kids?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Nice on the working out! I got back to running and am starting to get back to mainly a lean diet.

RE: the SIL. If someone tells you they don't love you, and are seeing someone else, how is that not over? Life is too short for that yo-yo crap.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Nice on the working out! I got back to running and am starting to get back to mainly a lean diet.

RE: the SIL. If someone tells you they don't love you, and are seeing someone else, how is that not over? Life is too short for that yo-yo crap.
Same thing happened to my sister, he ended up staying and that has been probably 20 years ago so it can happen.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Same thing happened to my sister, he ended up staying and that has been probably 20 years ago so it can happen.

My message was statistically it is a huge uphill battle from here for it to work out. They are seeing a pastor at our church for counseling but outside of that he isn't talking to her. It sounds like the first time that it really affected him was when she told him how sad our son and a couple other family members will be.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My message was statistically it is a huge uphill battle from here for it to work out. They are seeing a pastor at our church for counseling but outside of that he isn't talking to her. It sounds like the first time that it really affected him was when she told him how sad our son and a couple other family members will be.
My 2 cents:
I know that a lot of people of faith turn to clergy when something like this happens...but it's my thought that if the communication is not good, an unbiased third party who is a stranger to both participants can be a better option. It's easier to get to the roots of the issue when a) you probably will not see the mediator again after resolution, and b) there is no hint of moral judgment (some clergy are much better at that than others).

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My 2 cents:
I know that a lot of people of faith turn to clergy when something like this happens...but it's my thought that if the communication is not good, an unbiased third party who is a stranger to both participants can be a better option. It's easier to get to the roots of the issue when a) you probably will not see the mediator again after resolution, and b) there is no hint of moral judgment (some clergy are much better at that than others).
I agree with this. I hope the clergy is encouraging the couple to look into some professional help.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Actually came in here to post this for all of our Sconny members:
View attachment 76283
One time I stopped at the rest area just west of Des Moines at about 2am. There was a family there that asked me where they could find a hotel. I told them they would be better off going back to the I80 - I35 - I235 intersection and there would be your best choices of hotels.. I then asked them where they were from because I was positive it had to be Canada. Nope Wisconsin.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.