Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hot take -

Dogs are not worth the money, time, and effort

FlickeringIdenticalAntarcticgiantpetrel-max-1mb.gif

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@HFCS, have you had a chance to see SOFI stadium? It looks really nice on TV, was more impressed with the exterior than the interior, and I mean that in a good way.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So what did your dog do wrong today?

I've come to this conclusion over time

Between the cost of food, vet bills, time spent walking them, cleaning up their messes (accidents/hair/destruction of property, etc), doggie day care...

This is thousands and thousands of dollars over their life. (Not to mention my wife paid for one of the dogs)

I don't need an animal to wag it's tail at me to complete my day. I'll take the cash in the bank. These will be the last two dogs of my life.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Between the cost of food, vet bills, time spent walking them, cleaning up their messes (accidents/hair/destruction of property, etc), doggie day care...

This is thousands and thousands of dollars over their life. (Not to mention my wife paid for one of the dogs)

I don't need an animal to wag it's tail at me to complete my day. I'll take the cash in the bank. These will be the last two dogs of my life.

Hell of a lot cheaper and easier than kids.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Can't that be said about just about anything? There are people on here spend thousands of dollars yearly to support ISU FB & MBB and they get what? The possibility of 200 hrs of joy if we were to win everything? We're ISU fans. A lot of people are paying large sums of money to get punched in the stomach about half the time.

Sorry you don't like your dogs. They still like you though (unless you're an ass to them).

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Can't that be said about just about anything? There are people on here spend thousands of dollars yearly to support ISU FB & MBB and they get what? The possibility of 200 hrs of joy if we were to win everything? We're ISU fans. A lot of people are paying large sums of money to get punched in the stomach about half the time.

Sorry you don't like your dogs. They still like you though (unless you're an ass to them).

Don't get me wrong. I like the dogs, but not as much as I would like that money in the bank account or invested.

I would be perfectly happy if we didn't get dogs and probably more happy with a few extra grand per year in my pocket.

They just aren't worth the money. They just aren't

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Youngest son was the one who got the new phone this year. With five phones (used to be six) I make sure one a year gets updated so because I had to buy three in one year and that stunk. Arrives Tuesday.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@wxman1 was looking on purple wave auction site , lot fn9464 on the Sept 30th auction page 10 is a bunch of airplane oils fluids etc.. I think it's cheap enough if it is something you need. It's down in Kansas City.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
@HFCS, have you had a chance to see SOFI stadium? It looks really nice on TV, was more impressed with the exterior than the interior, and I mean that in a good way.

I've only seen it from the air as it's progressed over the past few years, it was one gigantic hole early on. I had a friend consider buying a house nearby thinking it would increase the value but they ended up staying where they were.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Yeah, that's the problem I had with it. As you said, you could do that with anything. He probably isn't buying the most economically efficient car, house, etc. His kids are probably "not worth the money" and there's a fair chance he isn't "worth" the time and money to his wife.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I sent a proposed contract to a law firm today. They're going to rip it apart, aren't they.
This was a timely post for me, JC. When you posted this I had just arranged a virtual meeting for Monday (this morning) to go over a contract with one of our attorneys. I am fully expecting to come out of that meeting with a special twinkle glaze in my eye.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Or you could have a dinner there with her heirs that can make it and throw the gift certificate toward the total bill.

I could invite my sister and her husband down. We have been getting together more over the last year or two the way it is and being the only two left out of our group, we aren't getting any younger. Too bad they took away the meals from tax deductibility, otherwise with her now being one of my landlords, we could get our meals half off.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
One had best speak with a tax advisor if he or she believes that all business meals are no longer deductible. That is NOT what the TCJA did. One might also consider IRS Notice 2018-76 and
the more-recently released proposed regulations found at 85 FR 11020, if one wants the actual authority on the matter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and oldman
Status
Not open for further replies.